Donald Trump axed as Scots business ambassador

The Donald has been a well-known figure in Scotland for many years (I’m Scottish). He built “luxury” golf courses in the Highlands (see story beneath for the reality). Trump’s mother was Scottish, born on the Isle of Lewis, in the West of Scotland. I’m sure given his proud links to my country, that this will sting him a little but I think the decision was right. The government over here has been really embarrassed by his outbursts, since he claims to represent Scotland and Scots abroad:

scotsman.com/news/politics/donald-trump-axed-as-scots-business-ambassador-1-3971000

**Donald Trump axed as Scots business ambassador

DONALD Trump has had his GlobalScot ambassador status revoked by the Scottish Government.

Scotland’s First Minister Nicola Sturgeon withdrew the US entrepreneur’s membership of the GlobalScot business network ‘with immediate effect’, following Mr Trump’s comments about Muslims**.

Earlier this week, Mr Trump called for a “total and complete shutdown of Muslims entering the United States” following terror attacks in Paris and San Bernardino, in California.

A spokesperson for the Scottish Government said: “Mr Trump’s recent remarks have shown that he is no longer fit to be a business ambassador for Scotland and the First Minister has decided his membership of the respected GlobalScot business network should be withdrawn with immediate effect.”

The GlobalScot network is a Scottish Development International (SDI) scheme, made up of more than 700 ‘executives’ with strong links to Scotland.

The network is primarily aimed at promoting Scottish businesses overseas, and includes such figureheads as Stagecoach bus tycoon Brian Souter and oil chief Sir Ian Wood.

Mr Trump was invited to become a GlobalScot by First Minister Jack McConnell in April 2006.

Mr McConnell said at the time: “Donald has shown a real passion for Scotland. He is a globally recognised figure who can help us to promote Scotland. This is a good bit of business for all concerned.”

Mr Trump is no stranger to controversial comments, having previously compared wind farms with the Lockerbie bombing.

The billionaire businessman was criticised after he said: “Wind farms are a disaster for Scotland, like Pan Am 103.

"

Read:

time.com/3990320/donald-trump-europe/

**What the U.S. Can Learn from Europe’s Experience of Donald Trump

Europeans have seen Trump and his type at close quarters

Donald Trump is no stranger to big promises and bigger disputes. But more than seven years ago, it was the people of Scotland, rather than the members of the Republican Party that were subject to his charm, flattery—and hard-nosed business tactics.

Trump, whose mother was born in Scotland, bought the Menie Estate in northeast Scotland in 2006 to build a golf course and luxury resort. He promised to invest $2.3 billion and create 6,000 jobs. There was just one catch: he needed to persuade some of his new neighbors to sell their property to him.**

Susan Munro, now 62, whose home was encircled by Trump’s property, refused to sell. Trump tried to force her but when he failed she says his security guards routinely harassed her by stopping her car and asking for identification as she approached her home of more than 30 years. “It was horrible,” she recalls. “It happened on my own drive. I wasn’t even on his land.”

Munro never sold, but eventually Trump built a berm that surrounded her house and blocked off a large part of the scenery she had known for decades. “When I heard he was running for President, I just laughed,” she says. “But he’s a dangerous man.” George Sorial, executive vice president at The Trump Organization, says he hadn’t heard of Munro’s complaints. “With a handful of exceptions, and I am talking about two or three people, we don’t have any issues with people who live in properties adjacent to ours,” he says.

In 2009, Trump’s representatives asked the local council to use its legal powers to buy the property of Munro and her neighbors without their consent. The council declined but Trump’s staff reportedly continued to harass residents, trespass and damage property and cut utilities. Trump later fell out with the Scottish government over plans to build a small offshore wind farm, which he said would ruin the view from his course.

The resort in Scotland—Trump International Golf Links—is a much smaller enterprise than the businessman first promised because the majority of the investment has not yet materialized. “This is a long term project, we have a lot of work left” said Sorial, who has worked on Trump holdings in Scotland for nine years. “I have no doubt that the project will grow and eventually realize the numbers we initially projected.”

Trump’s battle with his neighbors was followed by filmmaker Anthony Baxter in his 2011 film, You’ve Been Trumped, who says that Trump made few friends in Scotland. “He talks about being the ‘jobs president’, about putting people into work in the U.S. All I can do is look at what I have seen over five years of filming his real actions based against the promises he made to Scotland,” he says. “He made the lives of those local residents a complete and utter misery, bullying them at every opportunity.”

While Trump’s tough-minded business style seemed unusual to Scots and other Europeans, his political style is familiar. Trump has called Mexican migrants “criminals” and “rapists,” sentiments similar to those endorsed by the populist leader of the U.K. Independence Party, Nigel Farage, who this year said that migrants with HIV should be banned from entering the country.

they would do that to a fellow Presbyterian?

Well, there largely cultural Presbyies here now :wink:

I saw the film about this a yr or so ago. It probably is one of the few things that sticks in my claw about Donald Trump. But now after reading the story in your post i have to think,is there more to this story? I mean the person who wrote this piece did lie about Trump. And as the saying goes. “One lie makes one question”.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.