Donald Trump breaks with Republicans on raising taxes, minimum wage

Washington Times:

Donald Trump breaks with Republicans on raising taxes, minimum wage

Just days before Donald Trump and House Speaker Paul D. Ryan meet to bridge differences and unify the Republican Party, the billionaire businessman again broke GOP economic orthodoxy and one of his most prominent and earliest supporters said she would work to oust Mr. Ryan from his post.In an appearance on NBC’s “Meet the Press,”Mr. Trump went beyond his disdain for free trade, long a linchpin of conservative thought. He also said he would be willing to raise taxes and that he favors increasing the minimum wage.
“We have to negotiate. The thing I’m going to do is make sure the middle class gets good tax breaks. For the wealthy, frankly, I think it’s going to go up. And it should go up,” he said in the interview, which was recorded Saturday and aired Sunday.

Also Sunday, former Alaska Gov. and 2008 Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin announced on CNN’s “State of the Union” that she would support Mr. Ryan’s primary opponent, businessman Paul Nehlen. She said the speaker’s political career is over because of his refusal to enthusiastically support Mr. Trump.
The news highlights deep divisions in the Republican Party, with many key GOP figures reluctant to throw their support behind Mr. Trump or, in some cases, vowing to never vote for him. Mrs. Palin last year became one of the first high-profile Republicans to endorse Mr. Trump.

She attacked Mr. Ryan just days after the Wisconsin Republican said he couldn’t yet endorse Mr. Trump. The two men are set to meet in Washington this week.
Mrs. Palin told CNN on Sunday that Mr. Ryan faces the same political tidal wave that doomed Eric Cantor, the House majority leader who lost his Virginia Republican primary race in 2014 to tea party favorite David Brat.

I don’t envy Rep. Ryan. I’m sure he will survive his primary but trying to deal with President Trump (if it comes to that) will be a nightmare.
Trump’s campaign with his constant attacks on “the Republican establishment” will probably destroy the GOP’s Senate majority, already hanging by a thread and maybe in the House as well.

53% of Republicans support raising minimum wage by 2020 to $12.50 according to this poll:

nelp.org/content/uploads/2015/03/Minimum-Wage-Poll-Memo-Jan-2015.pdf

Trump does a complete 180 on minimum wage. I am sure that other flip flops are in store as he “pivots” to the general.

Heaven forbid that he should support what the voters want. :rolleyes:

But in all honesty the man does change position constantly.

I remembered in 2004, republicans went after Kerry and called him a flip flopper for having changed his position on the Iraq war.

I wish the republicans could be grown ups and now point the finger at Trump.

It seems like Trump breaks with the Republican leadership on almost everything. There’s a simple reason for that: he is not a Republican.

Be careful, people will get upset at you here for having said that ( sarcasm :shrug:)

Maybe he’ll flip flop on torture and murdering the families of terrorists. That’d be a big plus. :thumbsup:

Since he didn’t endorse either, then your wish is granted. Poof!

Trump did say he approves of waterboarding and worse. I know you don’t necessarily consider waterboarding torture, but how about “worse”? He also stated more than once that the families of terrorists must be “taken out.” What does “taken out” mean?

There’s seemingly no such thing as “a Republican”. It’s a conglomeration of factions, each of them thinking it has the only formula that will save the nation from its downward slide.

Possibly none of the various “Republican” ideologies can do that. The Dem one certainly hasn’t, and Hillary Clinton selling influence on a mega level won’t. Maybe Trump, who is more just a person who apparently functions well, really is the answer.

What’s “worse”? Did he tell you?

You always leave out the context of the “taken out”. He was talking about rules of engagement that encourage terrorists to hide behind civilians, and allowing the military to go after them where they are, as it is in any real war, and certainly any war the U.S. ever won.

When Hillary Clinton’s husband was bombing Serbia from high altitudes and hit the Chinese embassy in a Belgrade neighborhood, do you condemn that? When Hillary was bombing people in Libya from afar, do you condemn that as “murder”? When she was running guns to people like Al Nusra in Syria, do you condemn her for the fact that Al Nusra was just as vicious as ISIS? When Obama hits houses in Af/Pak where he “thinks” there are terrorists, did you condemn that?

According to my research on exactly what Trump said, you are correct.

I condemn everyone, including Israel for collateral damage, and Obama, the Clintons, GWB, and Trump.

Trump’s willing to raise taxes…yet another supposedly fiscal conservative position he’s changed back to liberal. :shrug:

They are. I think you’ll find that Trump supporters have put the guy before the party, and now they’re too stubborn to realize or admit to being duped by him.

And so it begins.

I never believed he was really a conservative.

“And the other thing is with the terrorists, you have to take out their families. When you get these terrorists, you have to take out their families. They care about their lives, don’t kid yourself. But they say they don’t care about their lives. You have to take out their families."

"We should go for waterboarding and we should go tougher than waterboarding.”

which Donald Trump thinks is torture

“We can’t waterboard, which is––look, nothing’s nice about it, but it’s your minimal form of torture.”

I disagree with him on waterboarding and torture, which I think should be banned. But I agree with him on citing the families of terrorists IF it is found that they somehow helped in some way with the terrorist crimes.

The second quotation about Trump is correct. He wants to go beyond waterboarding, which seems to be torture according to him. However, after researching the first quotation, which Ridgerunner refuted, I found he (Ridgerunner) is correct. The context of taking out the families of terrorists is that they are often used as human shields. It is not so much that this notion makes it perfectly all right to kill them; however, it does change the meaning of what Trump says in that the families are not to be direct targets but rather inevitable casualties in our attempt to get at the terrorists themselves.

It’s too bad we didn’t listen to someone with the proper Republican ideals, like good ol’ Mitt Romney.

“I, for instance, as you know, part company with many of the conservatives in my party on the issue of the minimum wage. I think we ought to raise it,” the 2012 Republican presidential nominee said. “Because frankly, our party is all about more jobs and better pay.”

Romney’s comments come after Senate Republicans rejected a vote on a Senate bill that would have increased the minimum wage to $10.10. Recently, though, former Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty and former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum, both of whom also ran for the Republican nomination in 2012, said they supported some increase in the minimum wage.

• 5/9/2014

Source: politico.com/story/2014/05/mitt-romney-minimum-wage-106524#ixzz489pWmEIu

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.