Donald Trump Calls for Barring Muslims From Entering U.S

Donald J. Trump called on Monday for the United States to bar all Muslims from entering the country until the nation’s leaders can “figure out what is going on,” an extraordinary escalation of his harsh rhetoric aimed at members of the Islamic faith in the aftermath of the terrorist attacks in Paris and San Bernardino, Calif.

“Without looking at the various polling data, it is obvious to anybody the hatred is beyond comprehension. Where this hatred comes from and why we will have to determine,” said Mr. Trump, the leading Republican candidate for his party’s 2016 presidential nomination.

“Until we are able to determine and understand this problem and the dangerous threat it poses, our country cannot be the victims of horrendous attacks by people that believe only in jihad, and have no sense of reason or respect for human life,” he said in a statement.

nytimes.com/politics/first-draft/2015/12/07/donald-trump-calls-for-banning-muslims-from-entering-u-s/

see: donaldjtrump.com/press-releases/donald-j.-trump-statement-on-preventing-muslim-immigration

Oh goodness.

This guy has gone from being entertainingly absurd to an unashamed bigot. We can only pray that he takes this back, or people stop supporting him (and yet I fear neither will happen). The last thing the world needs is someone articulating this kind of nonsense in the Oval Office. The last 7 years of sometime-nonsense have been bad enough.

Reminder

All posts are to remain charitable

Don’t call people any name

Be charitable but don’t be afraid to comment politely.

Extremists have targeted refugee program to enter US, Homeland Security chairman says

Intelligence officials have determined that Islamic extremists have explored using the refugee program to enter the United States, they told the head of the Homeland Security Committee.

Rep. Michael McCaul (R-Texas) revealed portions of a classified letter from the National Counterterrorism Center (NCTC) on Monday, which offered new claims not previously disclosed by the Obama administration.

The disclosure could give ammunition to critics of the White House’s refugee plans who have warned that the program is vulnerable to infiltration by adherents of the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS).

thehill.com/policy/national-security/262316-isis-has-targeted-refugee-program-to-enter-us-chairman-says

I wonder if Donald Trump is working off a list as to who he offends next. Women. check. Mexicans. check. Disabled. check. Iowans. check. Maybe it would be easier to list those he hasn’t offended yet.

:thumbsup:

He just has a big personality I’ve been told… :wink:

From Father James Martin, SJ:

This is religious stereotyping at its worst, and should be rejected by every Catholic, indeed every Christian. For Jesus asks us in the clearest terms possible to care for the stranger: “I was a stranger and you welcomed me.” (Mt. 25:35).
Even when it is difficult. Remember: in the Parable of the Good Samaritan, the man who stops to help had no idea if the the robbers who had beaten the man by the side of the road were still lying in wait. (Lk 10:25-37). And the point of that particular story is particularly apt in this case. Jesus had been asked, “Who is my neighbor?” The answer, which surprised his Jewish audience, was, “A Samaritan,” a member of a hated religious group. Jesus’s message could not be any clearer. When it comes to the Christian path, there is no “other.” There is just an “us.”
American Catholics in particular should reject this kind of ugly stereotyping because they themselves–we ourselves–were subjected to this precise kind of stereotyping in past centuries. We were the “Catholic menace,” dangerous because we were controlled by Rome, unfit to be considered good citizens.
Whether done to Catholics, Protestants, Jews, Muslims (or any other religious group) blaming an entire religion for the sins of a few who claim the label of that religion is always wrong. And sinful.

Amen!

1935 The equality of men rests essentially on their dignity as persons and the rights that flow from it:Every form of social or cultural discrimination in fundamental personal rights on the grounds of sex, race, color, social conditions, language, or religion must be curbed and eradicated as incompatible with God’s design - Straight outta the Catechism of the Catholic Church!:thumbsup:

One more day until the start of the Year of Mercy…I hope it catches on, but looks like an uphill battle.

The good father wouldn’t last five minutes in any part of the ISIS “caliphate” and wouldn’t fare too well anywhere in the Islamic world right now.

Islam is more than one thing. It is a religion, and we all know that. It’s also a political system, and we know that too. We might well have an obligation to respect Islam as a religion, but we have no obligation whatever to respect it as a political system. In truth, we probably have a moral obligation to reject it and oppose it as a political system.

Immigration is not a fundamental personal right.

One of the very reasons our nation declared its independence from the British Empire was because the colonists believed that the UK was restricting immigration and naturalization far too much (it’s in the Declaration: Google it). Why is that any different now?

And from a faith standpoint, why should we deny peaceful peoples’ rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness? Aren’t they God’s children, even if they don’t hold the same faith as us? This is an outrage.

:banghead:

One additional word about Trump. He will no more be able to exclude Muslim immigration than he will be to convert all Muslims to Christianity. The Courts would never allow him to do it despite the fact that they have not disturbed consideration of religion as one of the immigration criteria for refugees.

But it would not be impossible for Trump or anyone else to insist that potential immigrants be genuinely and truly vetted. If one cannot persuasively demonstrate who and what one is, then he could be excluded, and should be. Nor would it be impossible for Congress to change immigration admission to favor people from those countries that are closely and clearly allied with the U.S. and are ready to accept American principles without reservation, or who are genuinely and indisputably refugees from religious persecution.

It wouldn’t be impossible to at least limit the potential immigration of radicals.

The Priest at the Mass I went to stated Islam is a satanic political ideology masquerading as a religion. With the emphasis on jihad, and the allowance of lying and deception to spread Islam, it’s not an unfair assessment.

It’s not a civil liberty, I agree there. However: don’t we have a responsibility to give these people a new land to call their own?

Right. Deny people to live in the USA. We’re only a nation of immigrants. Would Christ want them to suffer?

Good points.

I fully support goods and services to their native countries to help ease the suffering. I fully support Christians in the war torn areas to enter the United States. I do not support people with an incompatible political ideology that is hostile to Western Culture and Christianity to enter the country.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.