Donald Trump chooses Andrew Bremberg as healthcare transition leader

Donald Trump chooses Andrew Bremberg as healthcare transition leader

Susan Morse Nov 11, 2016 Healthcare Finance

Senate Majority Leader advisor Andrew Bremberg will lead president-elect Donald Trump’s healthcare transition team, according to Inside Health Policy.

Bremberg currently advises Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell and was an advisor for Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker during his presidential bid. Bremberg was part of the transition team for former GOP president candidate Mitt Romney, according to the Washington, D.C.-based publication.

For eight years, Bremberg served in the Department of Health and Human Services. From 2005 to 2007, he was special assistant to the Immediate Office of the Secretary and from 2001 to 2005, he was special assistant to the executive secretary.

healthcarefinancenews.com/news/cfos-explain-changing-role-see-collaboration-key-healthcare-changes

His Wikipedia entry notes that he is a graduate of Catholic University (School of Law, 2002-2006) and Franciscan University, Steubenville (B.A., Psychology & Theology, 1997–2001)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Bremberg

he sounds like a good leader.

Hope he’s good enough to maneuver his way through the healthcare minefield. Trump made some very bold promises about the ACA, some of which he is already backing off from. Lawmakers are going to have to walk a very fine line to appease the Trumpsters and at the same time avoid the political firestorm of having 20 million people suddenly lose their insurance.

In any case, Trump will be the new owner of healthcare and he will have to answer all the concerns.

It’s a job quite frankly I wouldn’t want to have.

Expert on Obamacare:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betsy_McCaughey

If there is no individual mandate and healthy people do not have to purchase insurance, and insurance companies cannot exclude for preexisting conditions, how in the world is that going to work? Insurance can only get more expensive.

Despite Trump’s Repeal Threat, 250K New Obamacare Enrollees In 12 Days

The American Medical Association this week said any future health reform proposal or change to the ACA should continue coverage for the more than 20 million Americans who are either buying coverage on public exchanges or being enrolled in the law’s expanded Medicaid health benefits for the poor. The AMA also reiterated its support of health coverage for those with pre-existing conditions, a critical aspect of Obama’s signature legislative achievement that Trump said in the last week should remain the law of the land.

forbes.com/sites/brucejapsen/2016/11/16/despite-trump-repeal-threat-obamacare-enrollment-surge-continues/#3609e45b6109

So with sick people ensured and healthy people not required how will insurance companies remain profitable?

State regulators would then require higher premiums, everything else being equal.

She warned before the program was passed of all the pitfalls therein. Hope Trump finds a place for her wealth of knowledge on the subject in his administration.

I recall thinking when the Dems passed this program that the government (taxpayers) could help those who did not have insurance at the time cheaper than wrecking the whole program. I still believe that. There were people at the time that did not have insurance because they did not want to pay for it (mostly young folks who figured they would never need it). Now employers who used to provide insurance for their employees have found it better for them to drop that insurance and have their employees partake of the Obamacare dibacle. Can’t blame them

Yes, and people think premiums are high now. Just wait till Trumpcare.

Betsy McCaughey? Maybe. We in New York remember her when she was our Lieutenant Governor (under perennial presidential candidate George Pataki). That didn’t work out too well. I myself don’t find her credible.

Is there a flaw in her assessment of Obamacare?

What is her assessment and recommendation?

I would love to see Denninger’s take on the health care debacle actually get a fair hearing at the national level. You can find that on Market Ticker. Speaking as someone whose monthly premium has nearly tripled in the last 5 years. At the same time my deductible and co-pays have doubled during that time. Have been hearing horror stories from the family men who work in my field. And people wonder why the economy is so stagnant … when one is spending too much on insurance and related expenses, there is less pocket money available to spend on other stuff.

Why do you think future revisions will further increase premiums?

Trump is coming to realize that “repeal and replace” is pie in the sky, which is why he is backing off that promise.

As long as the government is going to insist that the delivery of healthcare services be placed in the hands of for-profit insurance companies, there will be no way of providing affordable access to healthcare without some kind of mandate that requires young, healthy people to purchase insurance. Allowing healthy people who “don’t need insurance” (until they actually do need insurance) to game the system will bankrupt the insurance companies fairly quickly.

With the individual mandate requiring healthy people to have insurance gone, and insurance companies unable to exclude for prior conditions,.there will be no profit for insurance companies unless premiums go higher. They will be paying out like crazy for all the sick people.

An executive order is the sword that will take care of this un-Constitutional Gordian Knot.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.