Donald Trump Earns Backing of Nearly 90 Military Figures

Donald J. Trump’s campaign will release an open letter on Tuesday from about 90 retired generals and military officials endorsing his presidential campaign, urging a “long overdue course correction in our national security posture.”

The letter in support of Mr. Trump, signed by 88 retired military figures, will come as the campaign prepares for a week focused on national security, with a forum hosted by NBC and MSNBC on Wednesday evening alongside Hillary Clinton, the Democratic presidential nominee.

“The 2016 election affords the American people an urgently needed opportunity to make a long overdue course correction in our national security posture and policy,” the letter states.

mobile.nytimes.com/2016/09/07/us/politics/donald-trump-earns-backing-of-nearly-90-military-figures.html?_r=0&referer=https://www.google.co.uk/

Our Navy is at it’s lowest level since WWI,other branches of our military have been greatly diminished as well.This will continue unless HC is denied the Oval Office.

This should surprise no one IMO. It’s one of the reasons I would never consider Hilary Clinton for the Presidency. Don’t misunderstand me however. I also have reservations about Trump’s potential handling of our military. However, Clinton is a known commodity, and it isn’t pretty IMO.

I’m not impressed…according to Trump himself. He knows more than the generals, so this group must not be too sharp! :smiley:

The military expressing support is a huge win, it undercuts the meme he can’t be commander in chief.

Admiral James Stavridis puts this in a better perspective. There are about 1000 admirals and generals on active duty today and every year about 300 retire and Trump’s list expands decades. So 88 is not a big number. Better than zero though of course.

msnbc.com/andrea-mitchell-reports/watch/generals-admirals-to-endorse-donald-trump-758782019560

I think there are well below 1000 on staff and I doubt 1/3 retire every year.

I think Hillary had 19 publicly come out on her side earlier this year, perhaps 88 vs 19(?) is a better comparison of a group that is trained to be apolitical.

Compare the 88 retired generals and admirals who endorsed Trump to the 500 who backed Mitt Romney in 2012.

But to do that would require dismissing the narrative that Trump and his people want out there.

How many have come out and backed HC?:cool:

It’s more than a number. None of Trump’s retired signatories was a service chief or led a major combatant command. Few if any of the letter’s supporters have military experience that made them household names.

The overwhelming majority of retired general and officers haven’t publicly endorsed either candidate.

Among prominent ex-military and national-security leaders, the edge clearly belongs to Clinton as his list lacks the name recognition of the military leaders backing Clinton.

The Democratic nominee and former secretary of state counts among her close advisers and supporters retired Marine Corps Gen. John Allen, who previously commanded all U.S. forces in Afghanistan and served as deputy commander of U.S. Central Command.

Taking nothing away from their service but the 88 generals and admirals backing Trump simply don’t provide quite the impressive show of unified support that it might seem on first blush.

theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/09/why-trumps-support-from-military-leaders-isnt-that-impressive/498806/

usnews.com/news/articles/2016-09-06/88-generals-admirals-pen-support-for-trump-but-lack-name-recognition-of-clinton-supporters

Shouldn’t we stick to this election cycle, since Trump is running against Hillary and not Romney. It’s an apple and oranges thing.

We could, but as someone often notes, FACTS MATTER!:smiley:

I note that Trump is running against Hillary, not Bill. Apples and oranges, right?

If you are referring to Bill Clinton, he is part of this election cycle since he will become a key power broker if Hillary wins the election. Don’t you recall Hillary’s role leading Healthcare reform??

Indeed, Hillary has already said that she will put Bill in charge of the economy.

95 Retired Generals, Admirals Endorse Clinton

A group of 95 retired generals and admirals have endorsed Hillary Clinton’s presidential bid, her campaign announced Wednesday.

“I feel I have a moral imperative to come forth and endorse Secretary Hillary Clinton for President,” General Lloyd “Fig” Newton, America’s first African-American Thunderbird pilot, said in a statement that accompanied the list of names. “Hillary Clinton is the only candidate that has the experience, temperament, critical thinking and level-headed leadership to keep America safe and our partnerships strong. She has my vote in November.”

The list comes a day after 88 retired generals and admirals signed a letter backing Donald Trump, praising him as the candidate who can reverse the “hollowing out” of the U.S. military. And it comes on the day both candidates will participate in the Commander-in-Chief Forum, simulcast on NBC and MSNBC.

While I don’t like Bill’s character, I’d feel much safer with him in charge among establishment candidates. He had leadership skills and was able to negotiate with the opposition.

Keep in mind that he had a Republican house that dragged him kicking and screaming to a balanced budget and the welfare to work program. Doubt Hillary would have any part of that. IMHO she is far left of her “husband”.

She is.I heard a tape of BC back in 1997 discussing the need for border control pretty much everything DT is suggesting .Then you have Hillary:eek:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.