Donald Trump expected to visit National African American Museum in observance of Martin Luther King Day

Donald Trump expected to visit National African American Museum in observance of Martin Luther King Day, transition sources tell ABC.

I wonder how that will work out?

left will rant that he is appropriating the pain of Black Americans to cloak his racism, or something negative.

I’m not American, but I’m getting tired of all this anti Trump hysteria. Hillary would have been no better and had a track record of destabilizing countries and starting wars, Libya and Syria being two main examples. So I am happier to have the antics of Trump, rather than the warmongering of Hillary.

I hope he will actually spend time looking around - at least 2-3 hours and not just pop in for a 20 minute visit.

I am glad he is doing this, but I am sure he will receive criticism.
If it were Hillary, she would be praised!

It will work out fine for him. The media he rails against will give him a photo op. And he can tweet about his visit afterwards.

She could put on another affectation and pull the hot sauce out of her purse. :rolleyes:

I take it you don’t care for hot sauce and you don’t carry it with you. Personally I like hot sauce. I just used some on a grilled chicken sandwich tonight instead of mayo. Saved me some unneeded calories too. Neither do I carry any. But not a big deal to me if Hillary Clinton does. Now back to the topic of Donald Trump…

We can imagine what people will say, but it’s very sensible to recognize:

Decades in the public eye, and nobody ever had reason to think anything other than that Trump views African Americans as brothers and sisters in America. It’s only in these months since the campaign season started that the press and the left discovered that he wants the KKK marching in the streets.

It should be lost on no one that that’s EXACTLY what was uttered when Reagan was elected–Coretta Scott King worried about the “KKK marching in the streets.”

I’m sure she was sincere then, but there it is.

Ah the hot sauce! :slight_smile:

I’m American, I didn’t vote for Trump, and I’m really happy he’s visiting this museum.

Me too. Often the time dignitaries can afford at places like this isn’t completely decided by them. Hope his schedule allows for a real interaction with the museum.

I agree.

That’s great. My wish is that his time there will be a period of reflection & understanding the strides and contributions that African Americans have made throughout history.

He might visit only briefly *because *the museum has been open only a few months and a lot of people may want to visit it on MLK Day.

I am sure it will be busy that day. They might have special arrangements made, but I think that is a great museum to visit on MLK Jr. Day.

Exactly~to me that would be the purpose of such a visit.

Yes. I agree. We all can learn more about history, especially one as complex as that of African American history. It’s fascinating.

He canceled due to “scheduling conflicts”.

hopefully, he can make it another time.

Before the campaign no one thought much of Trump other than another TV celebrity.
But Trump’s has not been thought of as viewing African Americans as brothers and sisters in America. He has a long record.
fortune.com/2016/06/07/donald-trump-racism-quotes/

Hmm… well maybe you will still get your wish someday and he will still someday reflect upon & understand the strides and contributions that African Americans have made throughout history including the contributions of Congressman Lewis. And then he can tweet about that.

It’s unclear, though, how serious his plans ever were. Smithsonian officials told BuzzFeed News Trump’s transition team asked about a visit but never scheduled one, despite claiming otherwise.

nydailynews.com/news/politics/trump-cancels-holiday-visit-african-american-history-museum-article-1.2946846

Sounds like a miscommunication inside the transition team and no one made arrangements. He can’t just ‘pop in’

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.