Donald Trump hails EU referendum result as he arrives in UK

Donald Trump has expressed full-throated support for the Brexit referendum victory during a visit to Ayrshire in Scotland.
theguardian.com/us-news/2016/jun/24/donald-trump-hails-eu-referendum-result-as-he-arrives-in-uk

Trump’s statement:

Statement Regarding British Referendum on E.U. Membership

The people of the United Kingdom have exercised the sacred right of all free peoples. They have declared their independence from the European Union, and have voted to reassert control over their own politics, borders and economy. A Trump Administration pledges to strengthen our ties with a free and independent Britain, deepening our bonds in commerce, culture and mutual defense. The whole world is more peaceful and stable when our two countries – and our two peoples – are united together, as they will be under a Trump Administration.

Come November, the American people will have the chance to re-declare their independence. Americans will have a chance to vote for trade, immigration and foreign policies that put our citizens first. They will have the chance to reject today’s rule by the global elite, and to embrace real change that delivers a government of, by and for the people. I hope America is watching, it will soon be time to believe in America again.

The irony is that Trump went to Scotland - of all parts of the UK today - and wrote this on Twitter:

**Donald Trump’s first tweet about Brexit got shut down immediately

And, just when you thought this day couldn’t get any more dramatic, Donald Trump has shown up in Scotland. Brilliant.

Naturally, Trump has already weighed in with his thoughts on Brexit, and it’s safe to say that it didn’t go down well. Like, at all.

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump

Just arrived in Scotland. Place is going wild over the vote. They took their country back, just like we will take America back. No games!

Trump’s excitement, however, was a little misjudged as Scotland actually voted for the UK to remain in the EU.

Singer Lily Allen — and sister of Game of Thrones actor Alfie Allen — quickly swooped in to check Trump’s erroneous statement. And, it was pretty hilarious.

‎@lilyallen

@realDonaldTrump Scotland voted IN you moron

It didn’t end there, though. A few others also stepped in to set the record straight.

Sue Perkins
:heavy_check_mark: ‎@sueperkins

@realdonaldtrump Scotland voted Remain, you weapons-grade plum.

Joan McAlpine
:heavy_check_mark: ‎@JoanMcAlpine

@realDonaldTrump You are in Scotland. We voted #Remain. #EUref

Matt Small
:heavy_check_mark: ‎@newsmatt

@realDonaldTrump All 32 voting areas in Scotland voted to stay in the E.U.
How are they “going wild over the vote”? #Brexit #BrexitVote

Well, this is awkward. **

Sorry mate but your in the wrong part of Britain…

And he wonders why he might be getting a frostier welcome to his ancestral homeland this time around…:mad

I caught his speech on arrival to Scotland. It was odd. He spoke at length about his golf course and how great it was, and said almost nothing about Brexit until he was asked about it. He was asked about why he was going on about the golf course, and he said he was there to support his children (who run the golf course). So apparently he was not actually in Scotland to discuss international issues; he was there as a promo for the renovated golf course. It was a bit weird.

I guess, golf is one of the few things he knows about Scotland. :smiley:

Here’s one of Donald Trump’s profound thoughts about Brexit:

“When the pound goes down, more people are coming to Turnberry [his Scottish golf course], frankly. For traveling and for other things, I think it very well could turn out to be a positive.”

He always has the big perspective, his own personal profit.

Mr. Trump is probably happy to hear that David Cameron will be resigning.

What a sleezebag. A nation is reeling and his first thought is how he can make a buck off it.

More time for golf at exclusive Scottish links!

The main purpose of his trip was the opening of the new golf course. I don’t think it’s weird that he kept most of his comments on that topic.

He said more than that. He expressed his respect for Britons exercising their right to vote and to choose their own course.

But even if his thought was to promote the golf course, how could that be worse than Obama telling Brits that he would put them “at the back of the line” for trade with the U.S. if they didn’t do what he and the international elites wanted them to do. No reason to threaten them with deliberate punishment for doing what they want to do.

His comments were not offensive, just misplaced and ironic given that he addressed them to Scots in Scotland - the most pro-EU part of the UK alongside London, on the day when England effectively dragged the UK towards Brexit.

And that’s the problem: most Scots (this one included) didn’t “want” to exit the EU. We’re a bit peeved, to say the least.

So Trump coming here and inferring that we’re all “happy-clappy” about Leaving the EU is hardly going to go down well.

I think its weird that a presidential candidate would travel overseas in the middle of his campaign to promote a relative’s personal business.

His visit was planned out far in advance.

And golf is the national everything of Scotland.

Need to get the national priorities straight.

Actually, I don’t think he said “happy clappy”.:wink: I wasn’t paying really close attention, but I took away from what he said that he was more praising the democratic process in the UK than anything else. He favored it, of course, and that was known, but I thought he was pretty careful to not sound gloating or anything like that.

If they were my kids and if it was as big a deal as it sounds, and especially if they had a big hand in putting it together, I sure would. How long does it actually take to cross the Atlantic nowadays?

After all, didn’t Hillary think sending emails to Chelsea about wedding plans and yoga was sufficient reason to break the law and endanger national security? :rolleyes:

I don’t think its inappropriate, necessarily. Just a bit unusual to me.

Donald Trump’s first tweet about Brexit got shut down immediately

And, just when you thought this day couldn’t get any more dramatic, Donald Trump has shown up in Scotland. Brilliant.

Naturally, Trump has already weighed in with his thoughts on Brexit, and it’s safe to say that it didn’t go down well. Like, at all.

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump

Just arrived in Scotland. Place is going wild over the vote. They took their country back, just like we will take America back. No games!

Trump’s excitement, however, was a little misjudged as Scotland actually voted for the UK to remain in the EU.

Singer Lily Allen — and sister of Game of Thrones actor Alfie Allen — quickly swooped in to check Trump’s erroneous statement. And, it was pretty hilarious.

@lilyallen

@realDonaldTrump Scotland voted IN you moron

It didn’t end there, though. A few others also stepped in to set the record straight.

Sue Perkins
:heavy_check_mark: ‎@sueperkins

@realdonaldtrump Scotland voted Remain, you weapons-grade plum.

Joan McAlpine
:heavy_check_mark: ‎@JoanMcAlpine

@realDonaldTrump You are in Scotland. We voted #Remain. #EUref

Matt Small
:heavy_check_mark: ‎@newsmatt

@realDonaldTrump All 32 voting areas in Scotland voted to stay in the E.U.
How are they “going wild over the vote”? #Brexit #BrexitVote

Well, this is awkward.

Trump’s much criticized twitter above seems to have been interpreted by his critics as
as an example of his ignorance.

Before this the Hollywood Reporter grilled him on his position on BREXIT, and he seemed to be only mildly interested … with a slight nod toward the leave side.

*The bigger “American influence” stories per BREXIT have been Obama’s strident advocacy for the EU side (punctuated with threats), and Hillary Clinton’s active advocacy for the same side before the election during the campaign period.

Trump’s comments were initially interviewed out of him … and not IMO any kind of an upbraiding of the UKs “Stay” voters. *

Just arrived in Scotland. Place is going wild over the vote. without going into the demographics of the Scottish vote … did Trump see SOME people at his golf course hotel “going wild” over the vote? Celebrators? Loud critics? :shrug: They took their country back,Accurate since Brexit won … and Scotland is still part of the UK (after a recent vote for Scotland to leave the UK failed) so the THEY was the winning side throughout the “country”. just like we will take America back. there are aspects of immigration, national sovereignty, financial independence and globalism that match the Trump campaign’s stated philosophies.No games! As short a sentence as this is … I have no idea what Trump means here. An “out” line is all I can discern.

I’m so glad to hear his comments. This is the year of Brexit, the year of Trump, the year of Orbán, Szydło, and Fico. leaders who are standing up to the globalist order and finding that there is a rising tide of people ready to stand with them.

There’s always a rising tide of people who hate other people and want to blame those other people for their problems… And they always hate it when they’re forced to work with those people they irrationally hate… :frowning:

Lily Allen, oh, aren’t you the classy one. :rolleyes:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.