Donald Trump muses about Marco Rubio's eligibility to run for president

Fresh off his Saturday win in the South Carolina Republican primary, Trump said Sunday he didn’t know whether Rubio, a Florida senator who finished second, was eligible to run for president and that “the lawyers have to determine that.”

“I don’t know,” Trump told George Stephanopoulos on ABC’s “This Week.” “I really – I’ve never looked at it, George. I honestly have never looked at it. As somebody said, he’s not. And I retweeted it. I have 14 million people between Twitter and Facebook and Instagram and I retweet things, and we start dialogue and it’s very interesting.”

Trump was questioned on the issue after he retweeted a supporter Saturday who made the allegation and linked to a video from the Powdered Wig Society, a conservative news and commentary website. That video features an unidentified woman claiming someone can only be a “natural-born citizen” if the person’s father was a U.S. citizen.

The Constitution states only a “natural-born citizen” can be president, though it does not explicitly define that phrase. Rubio, whose parents came to the U.S. from Cuba in the 1950s, was born in Florida in 1971. His parents were not U.S. citizens at the time.

Trump’s musings about Rubio’s eligibility is comparable to how his similar feud began with Cruz, a Texas senator, though that argument has since intensified.

Numerous legal scholars have said both Cruz and Rubio are considered “natural-born citizens,” though Trump has said other experts disagree.

“I mean, let people make their own determination,” Trump said Sunday.

foxnews.com/politics/2016/02/21/donald-trump-muses-about-marco-rubios-eligibility-to-run-for-president.html

This man will say and do anything to keep his name in the headlines.

Donald Trump is a very clever but dangerous man. He uses words to control people. He will say anything and imply lots more about his opponents to try to destroy them. I hope and pray that most people will soon start to see him for who he really is and “make their own determination” if he would be the kind of president we desperately need at this critical time in our history. Trump scares me. If we think Obama has run roughshod over our country, I shudder to think what Trump would do to anyone who opposes him in any way! God Bless, Memaw

^^^^This.

Voters are grown men and women, not 5 year olds. Unless trump lies about other candidates and makes things up in order to smear them, everything is fair game. If you think other candidates are not trying everything and anything to bring trump down, you are wrong. If this is all trump does, talking about something that’s clear as day, and it scares you, maybe you should toughen up. He’s saying everything out in the open. It’s up to voters to decide. He’s not forcing anybody to side with him. You can laugh at him and say he’s desperate, but don’t label him as dangerous simply because he’s using his free speech rights.

Dear God, help us all.

Here comes more exaggerated outrage.

One can benefit from the right of free speech and still be dangerous.

I am making a reasoned judgement like anyone else. Trump is an opportunist. Trump has “taken advantage of the laws of the country”. His words, not mine.

With that said and what he’s saying now, we are at the point that we need God’s help in a most serious way.

Here’s the article with the quote and the context:

ibtimes.com/trump-gop-debate-2016-i-havent-gone-bankrupt-ive-taken-advantage-laws-country-2042843

bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2015-08-07/trump-i-have-taken-advantage-of-u-s-bankruptcy-laws

While defending his business acumen, says “on 4 occasions I have taken advantage of the laws of the country” when asked about use of bankruptcy laws for some of his businesses.

People can make up their own minds whether or not they think that is dangerous when considering his past dealings with situations. I go by what he’s done in his past on a wide variety of issues and compare that to not only what he is saying now, but what he’s said not that long ago.

The one thing we can all agree on is that “whatever you can get away with” is the minimum legal standard, but it should not be help up as a role model. Donald is clever and he gets away with a lot, but he is not someone that we should hold up as a role model.

Even grown men and women can be deceived and manipulated by appealing to the worst aspects of their human nature.

Unless trump lies about other candidates and makes things up in order to smear them, everything is fair game.

“Unless”?

… but don’t label him as dangerous simply because he’s using his free speech rights.

…as if there has never been in all of history a person who was dangerous simply because he is using his free speech rights.

What commandment is Trump breaking in what he said about Rubio?

Voters are…not 5 year olds.

Which does not stop political candidates from acting as though they were, and getting results as though they were.

ICXC NIKA

If you are looking for a holy role model in these candidates, you are more likely to be disappointed. Trump to his supporters is a model of courage, patriotism, and cunning. What is in Rubio? What is in Cruz?

That doesn’t mean we should settle for Trump.

You don’t have to.

This is proper fear mongering. If you are so afraid, look at Trump’s whole life. Has he committed any crimes? Has he raped women? Has he defamed other people and had to bear consequences? I’m sure he had plenty of people who have opposed him before.

For the time being, no. But if Trump should become the nominee, then we have a very awkward and restrictive choice.

I actually read it as disgust…and perhaps genuine concern for the future of our nation.

What commandment is Trump breaking in what he said about Rubio?

That’d be the eighth commandment. One can read more about it in the CCC #2475 and following found here at Vatican.va

Odd you should mention fear mongering, since that is Trump’s specialty.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.