Donald Trump offers Jeff Sessions attorney general post

cbsnews.com/news/donald-trump-offers-jeff-sessions-attorney-general-post/ :thumbsup:

NEW YORK — President-elect Donald Trump is announcing his choices for three key administration jobs Friday, naming Alabama Sen. Jeff Sessions for attorney general, Kansas Rep. Mike Pompeo to head the CIA and former military intelligence chief Michael Flynn as his national security adviser.

startribune.com/trump-offers-national-security-adviser-job-to-flynn/401844825/

Someone please remind me if cabinet positions are confirmed by Congress? I can’t remember offhand.

The CIA Director and National Security Advisor aren’t cabinet positions. However, the former still has to be confirmed by the Senate. Attorney General is a cabinet position and has to be confirmed by the Senate as well.

Thank you, I haven’t had coffee yet today.:o

That’s one way to enforce Congressional term limits; Sessions has been a senator for 20 years.

Snarkasm aside, I think he might make a good AG. He has a solid background.

Heard (even on NPR) that, while there are criticisms out there of Lt. Gen. Mike Flynn (ret.), he’s pretty accomplished. He was forced out as head of the Defense Intelligence Agency in 2014, which may have been due to ideological differences between him and Obama – though he’s actually a Democrat – and possibly Obama’s dismissal of General McChrystal, after he was quoted in Rolling Stone. He was also at one point the top intelligence officer in Afghanistan. Bottomline from the left seems to be (1) he’s chummy with Putin and (2) he takes a hardline approach to Islam. Thoughts?

Here’s a pretty good Politico article on Flynn.

Here’s another article, this one from the New York Times, which calls him an “anti-Islamist.” Coming from the NYT, this epithet should probably be taken with a grain of salt.

The National Review once coined Senator Sessions as, for better or worse, “amnesty’s worst enemy.” WOW, if you’re looking for somebody to perform an about-face on Obama’s immigration policies, this is the guy! He was the only guy in the Senate who gave Trump a chance, much less from the beginning. Very interesting!

Here’s a pretty good article about Sessions from The Washington Post.

Look at so many who have been in the Congress as a whole so much longer. When you get to be the age of some of them, common sense says it is time to retire. The founding fathers in their great wisdom never intended for government jobs to be for life. They lose touch with how the rest of the country functions.

I’m initially a bit disappointed here. I think it’s easy to overturn Obama’s illegal amnesty, more difficult to wade through the muddy waters of Clinton corruption and effect a prosecution. I was hoping for someone like Trey Gowdy who, I believe, would have pursued her to the ends of the earth to prosecute her for her blatant crimes.

But we’ll see how it goes.

Fantastic! Senator Sessions is outstanding, particularly regarding immigration.

I know – Sessions has been there for 20 years, and he is the junior senator from Alabama. This is a swerve off topic, but I favor a constitutional amendment limiting service in Congress to a total of 12 years.

Meanwhile, we’re all going to have to get over a couple of stupid things that he said 30 years ago.

:thumbsup:

Gowdy will remain on the House Committee team, so he will continue pursuing her, just from the house instead of the cabinet.

As to Hillary Clinton, I look for Obama to pardon her UNLESS he wants to force Trump to either pardon her himself or go through the mess of prosecuting her. Richard Nixon was as guilty as sin, but Ford pardoned him anyway just to avoid the national unpleasantness of seeing a former president prosecuted.

And that was one of several reasons why he was not elected to his own term. But that’s not something that Obama has to worry about.

BTW, I don’t think anyone has mentioned it, but Sessions accepted the nomination. Now early next year we’ll have to elect another senator.

You’ll never hear another word from the Trump administration about prosecuting Hillary. It was nothing but political grandstanding and he knows that. He’s glad it worked, of course…

I think the FBI is still investigating Clinton Foundation, so you might want to stay tuned.

And I heard tonight she now leads in the popular vote by over 1.1 million votes. So possibly the mess of prosecuting her would not be the ideal picture he would want to paint for the greater number of Americans who voted for her than for him. Certainly I would think not if he truly wants to try healing and mending the great divide in our nation.

Is it true Sessions was not confirmed in the 1980s for a judgeship?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.