Donald Trump Thread

Donald Trump plans to meet with NRA on banning gun sales for people on terror watch list cnn.it/1rq7nC9

I wonder how long it will take for people to start telling us that

“I will be meeting with the NRA, who has endorsed me, about not allowing people on the terrorist watch list, or the no fly list, to buy guns.”

didn’t mean what it plainly said. I’m going with three days.

didn’t mean what it plainly said. I’m going with three days.

:confused:

Hillary: People Under FBI Investigation Should Lose Constitutional Rights

Good, something positive for once from Trump.

If Trump becomes the first presidential candidate to make the NRA cave in and concede to new gun-buying restrictions, my derision for him will soften.

7 Ways That You (Yes, You) Could End Up On A Terrorist Watch List

And, from Wikipedia,
The American Civil Liberties Union has voiced opposition to barring weapons sales to individuals listed on the current form of the No-Fly List, stating that: “There is no constitutional bar to reasonable regulation of guns, and the No Fly List could serve as one tool for it, but only with major reform.”[23] Specifically, the ACLU’s position is that the government’s current redress process—the procedure by which listed individuals can petition for removal from the list—does not meet the requirements of the Constitution’s Due Process Clause because the process does not “provide meaningful notice of the reasons our clients are blacklisted, the basis for those reasons, and a hearing before a neutral decision-maker.”[23]
I’m no fan of the current administration or either of the two presumptive nominees… but this is how authoritarianism starts (or, in the case of Trump, how it would continue)… with a president who does not respect the rule of law.

The NRA has been criticized in the past for their agreements to restrictions agreeing to restrictions in exchange for assurances in other matters. For example, the ban on machine guns in the 80s under Reagan, where they agreed to the ending of manufacture and sale of any more machine guns to the public in exchange for assurances on ammo availability. Assurances which were not honored once congress changed hands.

That has to be the first positive news I’ve heard about Trump since this whole circus began. Not that I suspect he’ll have any more luck than anyone else has had with regard to the NRA.

This news drops my support for Trump (continuing to watch his actions closely). I’m down to about 55/45 ‘for Trump vs. for 3rd party’ at present with Clinton not being an option. 2nd amendment rights are in the balance this election cycle (individual right to bear arms was upheld by a narrow 5-4 majority and presently sit 4-4 with the death of Scalia). This may be an indication of the kind of justice he would appoint regarding individual rights - not just the 2nd amendment, but other individual rights guaranteed by the US Constitution.

Don’t worry, he didn’t say what you think he said.

“I will be meeting with the NRA, who has endorsed me, about not allowing people on the terrorist watch list, or the no fly list, to buy guns.” ~ Donald Trump tweet

Okay, he didn’t say he wanted to ban people on the terror watch list (of which ‘terrorist’ can be a squishy term). Still, it’s vague enough to make me wonder. Okay, I’ll bump him back up to 60/40 (down from a high of 75/25). :):p:D

Revoking rights without due process is a mind-numbingly awful idea.

What if you went to jail because the government put you on a secret list, with secret criteria, without telling you whether you’re on it, without telling you how you can get off of it, and with no legal mechanism for defending yourself?

There’s a reason we have due process before someone’s freedoms can be taken away and it’s a plainly obvious one. To reject it is utterly asinine and I will never support anyone who thinks this nonsense is a good idea.

When was the last time Obama or Clinton asked for the NRA’s advice on keeping firearms out of the hands of terrorists? Trump’s willingness to include the NRA in the discussion is a positive step. Everybody, even the NRA wants to keep guns out of terrorists hands.

Go Trump!

:thumbsup:

Hillary: People Under FBI Investigation Should Lose Constitutional Rights

Hillary on the other hand doesn’t think she should be president. Oh wait, she like her disciples believe she is above that. Do as I say, not as I do, should be their motto. :slight_smile:

…but only if the cost of doing so is zero.

That’s not true. The NRA is just fine with background checks to stop those who aren’t allowed to have a firearm. Background checks cost money.

A lot of progressive types act as if all rights should be subordinated to the whims of Muslim extremists. It’s good that there are some organizations that are willing to stand up for civil rights.

Well Good luck with that ,
From what I heard ,the gun lobby has enormous power in the Republican Party,
Nothing will change , simply because there is no will for change ,
If A thousand people lost there lives in one dreadful event ,
Someone will say , well if there were more guns this could have been stopped .,
No matter what you say or do , nothing will change this tunnel vision approach

True, but the gun manufacturers aren’t the ones paying.

Why would the gun manufacturers have to pay?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.