Donald Trump transition team in disarray after key adviser 'purged'

theguardian.com/us-news/2016/nov/15/donald-trump-transition-team-disarray-adviser-purge

**Donald Trump transition team in disarray after key adviser ‘purged’

National security adviser Mike Rogers leaves in ‘Stalinesque purge’ as talks at Trump Tower continue amid uncertainty over role of president-elect’s children

Donald Trump’s transition to the White House appeared to be in disarray on Tuesday after the abrupt departure of a top national security adviser and amid continuing questions over the role of his three children and son-in-law.

Former Republican congressman Mike Rogers stepped down from the president-elect’s transition team without explanation, but one report attributed it to a “Stalinesque purge”.

A week after his election, Trump and Vice-President-elect Mike Pence were huddled at Trump Tower in New York to work on key appointments as the US Senate was due to resume business in a still shellshocked Washington.**

OK, I can understand US reporters not knowing world history, but I would expect reporters in the UK to know what a ‘Stalinesque purge’ really is. This is embarrassing.

The title sounds very familiar… Wait, I think I heard this millions of times before the election: Trump campaign in hot water… disarray… the end of Trump… Trump’s done it now!..

Then came Nov. 8th. When will the press ever learn? :slight_smile:

The article seems a bit over-sensationalized. Just looking online at similarly-themed articles emphasized Rogers ties to Chris Christie and the fact the transition team now being headed by Pence rather than some sort of sudden disarray as portrayed in this article that’s in the OP.

Who would have thought???

Trump–diplomatically impeccable, according to the Chinese state media. :slight_smile:

yahoo.com/news/chinese-media-praise-trumps-experience-ideology-100311906.html

Beijing (AFP) - Chinese state-run media lauded Donald Trump Tuesday after a phone call between him and President Xi Jinping, saying that the president-elect’s emergence could mark a “reshaping” of Sino-American relations.

The pair spoke Monday, when Xi said that the two powers needed to co-operate and Trump’s office said the leaders “established a clear sense of mutual respect for one another”.

Monday’s conversation was “diplomatically impeccable and has bolstered optimism over bilateral relations in the next four years”, China’s frequently nationalistic Global Times newspaper said in an editorial.

I’m not at all sure where the reporter got the Stalinist allusion from - I had assumed that they were quoting some American commentator on this backstage meeting in Trump Tower? :shrug:

Probably, we American’s have no concept of world history :slight_smile:

It would appear that the Trump transition team is ‘transitioning’ to a more serious and organized team now that the candidate actually won and knows what has to be done within a short period of time. We saw such transitions during the campaign, Trump is not shy of reorganizing his team to get the job done. That is a positive trait in a leader if the goal is to get things done… like … dare I say … making America great again.

I am willing to wait and see how it all plays out.

I’m truly confused about why Trump’s children are going to be involved in the transition, or what roles they’ll presumably have in his administration.

I believe that the 1967 nepotism law strictly regulates and limits the role of family members in any presidential administration.

Nevertheless, I’d bet my bottom dollar - if I had one - that if any president could feasibly find a way to wriggle around the plain meaning of the law and find a cushy number for his children - perhaps even clearance for entry into the situation room (is anything impossible now?), President-elect Trump will be the one to do it.

I regard Jared Kushner, Trump’s son-in-law, as the power behind this new throne. He has the ear of the President-elect and has played a very high-profile role thus far in the transition of power.

My impression is that Trump listens to the advice of his grown children. Nothing wrong with that. One of our great presidents, JFK, relied on the advice of his younger brother.

JFK was before the nepotism law, though…indeed it was probably passed with the Kennedy brothers in mind.

And why do they need security clearances?

Because if Trump is going to ask their advice about things, they need security clearances.

He isn’t indicating he intends on appointing them to any position. But I don’t see any reason why he can’t consult with them. I am sure Hillary would have consulted with both Bill and her daughter from time to time if she were elected.

Maybe he should ask the advice of people who could really give him good advice on issues of national security that require a security clearance. What special expertise do his grown children have in such matters?

Methinks a conflict of interest could arise here.

His children and son-in-law will be tending to his commercial empire, right?

Uh, couldn’t that cause a problem or two if their also advising him in a presidential capacity and have security clearances in the White House?

That nepotism law was passed for a reason.

I’m sure he will, but if he trusts the ‘gut feelings’ of people it should be OK for him to ask them. Especially since he is 70 and they are younger. We (and probably he) don’t know what might come up that he may want to ask them about.

I think it is good preparation if he thinks he may need their advice. As the Scouts say “be prepared.”

I really don’t have any problem with this.

Depends on what they talk about, but yes, he has to be careful.

Trump could tell his children, “I’m going to do this action as president which will cause this stock we own to go down, so sell it!”

Exactly why he used millions of his own money for his campaign. :slight_smile:

The guy’s got enough money. He’s ready to give something back. :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.