Don't blame it on religion

There are many who claim that religion leads to violence. “Look at all the wars caused by religion”, hence “the world would be so much better without religion”.

That’s shear nonsense. This is the cause of all hatred and violence in the world:

We were made for You, O Lord and our hearts are restless until they rest in You. (Saint Augustine). Mankind is not ultimately happy because it does not rest in God. We drive a wedge between us and God (our true happiness) by our sins.

I’m not happy and have a rotten lot in life. It can’t possibly be my fault, I’m perfect - I should be worshiped as a god (you’d be surprised how many people think this, even subconsciously). Hence, my rotten lot in life is not my fault but YOUR fault. If I only get rid of YOU, then I’ll be happy.

But who is YOU? Those who are most different from us within striking distance. That is why there are so many wars between those who believe in a different religion, or live behind a different border, or speak a different language, or have a different skin color, etc. And if we run out of different people, our own kin will do (there is an amazing amount of fighting - brother against brother - in the world).

If only we would recognize our innate need of God, and put our hearts to rest in Him, then the world would be a better place!

Aye, the very premise behind Islam. The word Islam means submitting to God in order to obtain peace, wholeness. Peace in one’s self, first of all, by understanding our complete dependence on God, and also loving and trusting in Him. :slight_smile:

Too bad Mohammed didn’t submit to the Father through Jesus Christ.

He submitted to the Lord of the heavens and the earth. Just like Jesus Christ.

Jesus IS the Lord of the heavens and earth.

Didn’t you know that?

God is one so we cannot blame to any religion. All persons are children of one God.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.