Don't call Jesus 'Lord'

None of those who call me ‘Lord’ will enter the kingdom of God, but only the one who does the will of my Father in heaven."[Matthew 7:21]

Can anyone tell me what Jesus is saying here?

I cannot do anything of myself I judge as I hear and my judgment is honest because I am not seeking my own will but the will of Him who sent me."[John 5:30]

Is this Jesus saying that only God can judge?

[quote=FightingFat] None of those who call me ‘Lord’ will enter the kingdom of God, but only the one who does the will of my Father in heaven."[Matthew 7:21]

[/quote]

The problem with this is that it is a poor translation. A better translation is from the Douay Rheims.

Not every one that saith to me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven: but he that doth the will of my Father who is in heaven, he shall enter into the kingdom of heaven. *

Not every one who claims to be Christian will be in heaven, but only those who do what Christ says.

**I cannot do anything of myself I judge as I hear and my judgment is honest because I am not seeking my own will but the will of Him who sent me."[John 5:30]

**Is this Jesus saying that only God can judge?

This one is a poor translation too. It does not contain the punctuation marks. Look at the Douay Rheims verse.

I cannot of myself do any thing. As I hear, so I judge: and my judgment is just; because I seek not my own will, but the will of him that sent me.

Christ is given his authority to judge by the Father. He judges based on the Fathers will.

None of those who call me ‘Lord’ will enter the kingdom of God, but only the one who does the will of my Father in heaven."[Matthew 7:21]

Compare this to the last judgment scene portrayed in Matthew 24:31ff. It’s not enough to just say that we accept Jesus as Lord. We also have to follow his commandments, which are also the will of the Father.

I cannot do anything of myself I judge as I hear and my judgment is honest because I am not seeking my own will but the will of Him who sent me."[John 5:30]

Jesus’ will is in perfect conformity with the Father’s will. Consequently, his judgments are always just.

[quote=FightingFat]None of those who call me ‘Lord’ will enter the kingdom of God, but only the one who does the will of my Father in heaven."[Matthew 7:21]
[/quote]

What version o fthe Bible did you get that from. Here are various version that I checked:

Revised Standard Version:"Not every one who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.

New American Bible:"Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father in heaven.

Douay-Rheims:Not every one that saith to me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven: but he that doth the will of my Father who is in heaven, he shall enter into the kingdom of heaven.

King James Version:Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

From what I can see, it is not NONE, but NOT ALL.

This passage is a part of Jesus’ attack on false prophets. Here is the full section:
15 "Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing but inwardly are ravenous wolves. 16 You will know them by their fruits. Are grapes gathered from thorns, or figs from thistles? 17 So, every sound tree bears good fruit, but the bad tree bears evil fruit. 18 A sound tree cannot bear evil fruit, nor can a bad tree bear good fruit. 19 Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20 Thus you will know them by their fruits.
21 "Not every one who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’ 23 And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you evildoers.’

24 “Every one then who hears these words of mine and does them will be like a wise man who built his house upon the rock; 25 and the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat upon that house, but it did not fall, because it had been founded on the rock. 26 And every one who hears these words of mine and does not do them will be like a foolish man who built his house upon the sand; 27 and the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell; and great was the fall of it.”

PF

It is really not so complicated. All that Jesus is saying is that it takes, to put it in the modern context, more than lip service to be given entry into His Kingdom. The heart must follow the lips. :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.