Don't call me Roman Catholic!

(Even though I am.)

When Protestants refer to Catholics, they always say Roman Catholics…it’s almost like an insult to be called Roman Catholic by a protestant. As it is for a “born-again, bible-bashing” Baptist to be called a Protestant. But thats what they are.

Some Catholics, are not Roman Catholics. I am not ashamed to be called Roman Catholic, but I don’t want anyone to get the idea that all Catholics are Roman Catholics.

If I was a Byzantine Catholic, I would be mad if I got called a Roman Catholic. (Even though there is nothing wrong with Roman Catholicism.)

Protestants are almost putting a limit on a universal Church.

What are you thoughts?

quote="JD27076, post:1, topic:291888"

When Protestants refer to Catholics, they always say Roman Catholics...it's almost like an insult to be called Roman Catholic by a protestant. As it is for a "born-again, bible-bashing" Baptist to be called a Protestant. But thats what they are.

[/quote]

When I was a born-again, Bible preaching Baptist, I considered myself a Protestant. What I would take offense to is the term "Bible Bashing" as that is the derogatory term, not "Protestant".

Some Catholics, are not Roman Catholics. I am not ashamed to be called Roman Catholic, but I don't want anyone to get the idea that all Catholics are Roman Catholics.

I am a Roman Catholic. "Latin Rite Catholic" may be the politically correct term, but the older documents of the Church used the term "Roman Catholic" all the time.

If I was a Byzantine Catholic, I would be mad if I got called a Roman Catholic. (Even though there is nothing wrong with Roman Catholicism.)

As an evangelical, I didn't even know what an Eastern Catholic was. There are some Roman Catholics who barely know what an Eastern Catholic is. It's just a matter of education and exposure.

I'm not even sure why you are ranting.

I think you’ll have conversations that go like this quite often …

A: What religion are you?

B: I am a Catholic of the Latin rite.

A: Is that a political party? Right wing, hispanic?

B. No, rite. R-I-T-E.

A: I’ve never heard of that. Is that like Roman Catholic?

B: Not really … [rant ensues]

A: So, you’re Roman Catholic, right?

I say, go for it! :thumbsup:

[quote="TrueLight, post:2, topic:291888"]
I am a Roman Catholic. "Latin Rite Catholic" may be the politically correct term, but the older documents of the Church used the term "Roman Catholic" all the time.

I'm not even sure why you are ranting.

[/quote]

I agree.

I do not know, I know some for whatever reason find this offensive. Perhaps its something they need to relate about to reach the source of the issue.

[quote="Rejoice_Always, post:3, topic:291888"]
I think you'll have conversations that go like this quite often ...

A: What religion are you?

B: I am a Catholic of the Latin rite.

A: Is that a political party? Right wing, hispanic?

B. No, rite. R-I-T-E.

A: I've never heard of that. Is that like Roman Catholic?

B: Not really ... [rant ensues]

A: So, you're Roman Catholic, right?

I say, go for it! :thumbsup:

[/quote]

:)

I sometimes say I'm 'Roman Catholic.' I am half Italian, after all. :thumbsup:

I draw the line at 'Papist.' Believe it or not my wife once dated a guy who described himself as 'Hugenot French' and called Catholics 'Papists.' This was in the 21st century! :eek:

If you look at some of the more polemical Protestant writers, you do find that they use 'Roman' as an epithet...'Romish persons, etc.' Once someone insulted John Wesley of all people by saying 'He hath the rags of Popery.'

If a Protestant uses 'Roman Catholic' in an insulting way, is it ok to call them a heretic? :cool:

[quote="robertericleech, post:6, topic:291888"]

I draw the line at 'Papist.' Believe it or not my wife once dated a guy who described himself as 'Hugenot French'

[/quote]

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/590795/Spittake.jpg

Hahaha…they didn’t date very long thankfully! She went out with some weirdos. Not sure what that says about me, lol.

[quote="GaryTaylor, post:4, topic:291888"]
I agree.

I do not know, I know some for whatever reason find this offensive. Perhaps its something they need to relate about to reach the source of the issue.

[/quote]

It depends on where you are for, the term can be used innocently or offensively. I have seen it used both ways, for the most part I've seen it used innocently, both by fellow Catholics and non-Catholics. I have however seen it used in a nastier way with a sneering undertone or as another poster points out usages such as 'Romish' or 'Roman' in particular contexts at times. There is a preacher in the north of Ireland who is also a major political figure, Ian Paisley, he was wont to call Popes and Cardinals 'Romish men of sin' and commented after the deaths of several Popes that these 'Romish men of sin are now in Hell'. Mostly people just use the term as a descriptive one, I describe myself as Catholic though if asked my faith.

Lutherans often times use the word Roman do distingusih Catholic as a noun vs Catholic as an adjective. Our creed says we believe in a "one
 holy
 catholic 
and
 apostolic Church
."

Of course, we have different definitions of "catholic" and "apostolic" than our Roman Catholic friends.

=JD27076;9532336](Even though I am.)

When Protestants refer to Catholics,** they always say Roman Catholics**...it's almost like an insult to be called Roman Catholic by a protestant. As it is for a "born-again, bible-bashing" Baptist to be called a Protestant. But thats what they are.

Always? Out of respect for those catholics who dislike the term, and because the term sometimes is used as a slur, I don't use the term "Roman Catholic". I will say, "Catholic in communion with the Bishop of Rome."

Other than the slur aspect of it, which incidentally has similar roots as "Lutheran", the problem is it is not entirely accurate, as Latin Rite is only one rite within Catholicism, as you imply below.
Therefore, it is similar to the term protestant, which is even less accurate.

Some Catholics, are not Roman Catholics. I am not ashamed to be called Roman Catholic, but I don't want anyone to get the idea that all Catholics are Roman Catholics.

What are you thoughts?

Some of us would say that the universal Church includes Orthodox and the various western non-Catholic communions. Would you agree? And if not, are you then putting limits on the universal Church?

Jon

quote="JD27076, post:1, topic:291888"

When Protestants refer to Catholics, they always say Roman Catholics...it's almost like an insult to be called Roman Catholic by a protestant. As it is for a "born-again, bible-bashing" Baptist to be called a Protestant. But thats what they are.

What are you thoughts?

[/quote]

I am happy to be called Roman Catholic myself :thumbsup:

Don’t take it personal, they don’t know any better.

And usually it is an occassion for me to “clarify” certain things which-opens up a whole range of questions and answers. It give me a chance to evangelize.

Don’t take it as an insult but as an opportunity.

I would see it as an opportunity and wouldn’t get so ramped up about the terminology. I would also refrain from using “bible-bashing” if I was hoping to achieve mutual respect, even if I was only speaking silently to myself.

Thank you for this. At some point, all of us need to take a moment and recognize that we are of the same faith. Using terms like “bible-bashers” and “papists” doesn’t help to that end.

Jon

I honestly think that most non-Catholics don’t know there is a difference between “Roman Catholic” and just “Catholic”.

I don’t! (sorry to say)

What is the difference? (in regard to how you follow the religion).
And what is a Byzantine Catholic?
(and…how many kinds of Catholics are there???)

A Byzantine Catholic is one who follows the Byzantie rite, generally this would they were Eastern Catholic, but not always.

There are 23 particular Catholic Churches which together make up the wider Catholic Church overall. To say these are different kinds of Catholic is both true and untrue, they express the same faith in differing ways due to differnt culturual and theological backgrounds,in that sens they are ‘different’ kinds of Catholics. In the wider sense though these Churches are all in communion with Rome and no one is more or less Catholic that the other.

Some Eastern Rite Catholics find the term Roman Catholic offensive because the may feel this excludes them

There are high-church Episcopalians and Anglicans who style themselves as Anglo Catholics.

And there are Lutherans who consider themselves Catholics.

Who has the right to say who is Catholic and who isn’t, and why?

I don’t really care about the term “Roman Catholic”, regardless of the inaccuracy of the term and have never considered it a slur. What bothers me more is the fairly modern term “Catholic Christian”, as if the word “Catholic” needs to be qualified in order not to be confused with a Catholic Muslim or a Catholic Buddhist.

23???
Wow, I had nooooo idea.
Are they based on…region?
But the main doctrines of each are the same, yes? Just perhaps slightly different ways to perform or express the rituals and customs? But nothing too different to interfere with the main doctrines?
(tho i do see people debating some of those differences here, i think? One person might feel more comfortable doing it one Catholic church’s way as opposed to another Catholic church’s way? Even tho neither is more “right” or “wrong” than the other?)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.