Don't call pregnant women 'expectant mothers' as it might offend transgender people, BMA says

he British Medical Association has said pregnant women should not be called “expectant mothers” as it could offend transgender people.

Instead, they should call them “pregnant people” so as not to upset intersex and transgender men, the union has said.

The advice comes in an internal document to staff outlining a raft of common phrases that should be avoided for fear of causing offence.

telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/01/29/dont-call-pregnant-women-expectant-mothers-might-offend-transgender/

Don't Call Pregnant Women "Expectant Mothers" As It Might Offend Transgenders, British Doctors' Organization Says

Ridiculous, a man can’t have a baby! I don’t care if these delusional men are offended. Sounds harsh but this is just outrageous

I know people on this board will immediately recoil and mock this, and that these kinds of threads are red meat for low hanging fruit analysis simply bashing the concept.

If you disagree, cool.

That said - regardless what you think of a certain group of people - what is the harm in addressing them by the name they would like to be addressed?

“In fact, it’s better if you don’t speak at all Peregrin Took.”

They aren’t asking for people to call THEM ‘pregnant people’. They are asking that nobody be called ‘expectant mothers’. How about the very large group of us women who would like to be addressed as such?

I generally don’t like the tone this forum takes towards transgender people, but this is pretty ridiculous.

Don’t do it then. I promise that they won’t be as outraged as you’d think.

“Expectant mothers” are called “expectant mothers” because they are “expectant mothers”. To placate the lunacy of the perpetually offended, we have to conceal the obvious?

No more of this nonsense.

Well, I’m an expectant mother. That doesn’t detract from the pregnancy experience of transmen, but it’s my reality and I don’t think there’s anything offensive about that. (And if there is, bite me).

You’re not checking your cis privilege enough.

Because it is insulting and degrading to attempt to force me to deny the truth and reality, to lie.

It is uncharitable to reinforce someone’s delusion by cooperating in it.

There’s actually a children’s tale about using shame/intimidation to manipulate folks into being afraid to speak obvious truths, perhaps you’ve heard of it? from Wikipedia-

“The Emperor’s New Clothes” (Danish: Kejserens nye Klæder) is a short tale written by Danish author Hans Christian Andersen, about two weavers who promise an emperor a new suit of clothes that they say is invisible to those who are unfit for their positions, stupid, or incompetent. When the Emperor parades before his subjects in his new clothes, no one dares to say that they don’t see any suit of clothes on him for fear that they will be seen as “unfit for their positions, stupid, or incompetent”. Finally, a child cries out, “But he isn’t wearing anything at all!”

That’s fine, I get it actually.

How do you know?

Let’s say some transgender group wants us to stop using gendered pronouns altogether and invent some gender neutral universal pronoun to replace the awkward “s/he” and grammatically incorrect “they”. Would you immediately start calling everyone “per-child-ee” or whatever pronoun this group suggested.

I don’t work in the medical field but I don’t call anybody anything until I know them. I’ve never used the term “expectant mother” before and don’t plan on starting now. If this implausible situation occurs in my life I will call them a “pregnant person” if they want me too but I can’t imagine people in social situations like to be referred to in such clinical terms.

It would probably be more like, “I see/heard you are pregnant, congratulations!”. We don’t usually use gendered terms when speaking in familiar terms anyway.

I do try and use non-gendered terms when I’m at work speaking to a customer. I wish there was a better word than “spouse”, it doesn’t flow off the tongue like husband or wife does.

If it walks like a duck…

I mean, maybe? I dont know. I will likely not be able to remember to use the words in the OP.

But I like reading about these perspectives. I like my majority perspective being challenged and I like trying to understand how those who suffer far more than we’ll ever understand seek equality.

This also reminds me on how many secularists want everyone to say “Happy Holidays” and “Seasons Greetings” to everyone so as not to offend non-Christians.

Well, next December, when greeting a Catholic priest, nun, or even someone I knew to be a non-Catholic Christian who made that obvious, such as wearing a cross, “WWJD” bracelet, or somesuch, then guess what, I’m going to say “Merry Christmas” and not feel the least bit guilty about it.

I mean, go ahead. Most people aren’t offended and don’t care. Its just about trying to be empathetic to others’ worldviews, thats all.

That’s nice. But sentimentalism does not override reality and truth.

A quartz will never be a diamond, and a tangerine will never be a pumpkin.

Okay, fine for you, honestly I get your position. I’ll continue to try to understand people who suffer tremendously, who have terrifying rates of suicide and who are made fun of and marginalized in society. If I can do something that makes them feel more accepted, happy to do it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.