Dont celebrate christmas day

Was the message a fellow Christian told me today.

To celebrate in the form of a Mass for Christ (CHRISTmASS) Rejoicing in the day Christ came in the flesh and to dwell among us by being born of the Virgin Mary is a human tradition, it was suggested to me.
This was supported by an array of bible verses ( “Col 2:8 ’ See to it that no one takes you captive by philosophy and empty deceit, according to human tradition, according to the elemental spirits of the world, and not according to Christ.”)

He said that because Christ did not specifically instruct us to celebrate his Birthday this contradicts the passages he quoted and that I was following human tradition and not Christ. But what actually riled me up, in attack of the Catholic Faith he then told me that I need to read the bible, which was built by Catholics.

Is this a real thing people actually try to debate that you should not celebrate Christmas?

Pax.

Ask them whether Baptism is necessary for forgiveness of sins, quote to them the Bible verses regarding Baptism, and when they deny it, ask them why you should listen to them regarding anything Biblical if they can’t follow such simple instructions.

Yeah it’s a real thing sadly. It’s just Sola Scriptura taken to the absolute extreme. Although I will say they are at least being consistent.

I would just ask him to quote you the verse where Jesus specifically says we are only to do things he specifically says to do. After he fumbles around for a while trying to find it, ask him how what he teaches is not a human tradition also.

Is he a Jehovah’s Witness?

Christ didn’t tell us directly to collect a bunch of letters and other writings (in the future) and call them the New Testament either. That was done through the Church that he established under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit. Celebrating Our Lord’s birth with a special Mass was established by that same Church!

Just what we need: Catholics to give in to this

http://wkrn.images.worldnow.com/images/6108346_G.jpg

Do you want to frustrate them? Tell them that the Holy Spirit that the Father gave the Church to guide into all truth, as Jesus said It would, has guided the Church to celebrate Christmas, and since they are not celebrating it is obvious to you that the Spirit is not with them. Then say I’m sorry, but it is obvious to you that they are the false teachers that John warned about.

By the way, depending on what denomination they are, they are following the tradition of some human being who broke away and started their sect.

This is really all you need to say. If they are in some other denomination and not Catholic, they are breaking what they are preaching at you to do.

I wonder why people feel the need to do what your “friend” did. Maybe he should just get back up on his pedestal and leave you down here with us Catholics. :wink:

We used to view Christmas this way, as a family influenced by the more extreme end of Protestant Christianity. Christmas trees were forbidden in the bible and all that stuff. I couldn’t be more different now, but I remember well the feeling of moral and spiritual superiority I had when deliberately not doing anything Christmassy, including not giving presents or going to church on Christmas day. We were the new puritans. Lord, forgive my pride.

Soooooo I guess the angels were just messing with those shepherd’s heads that night then…:shrug::o;)

The idea that Christians skip Christmas doesn’t deserve the breath it takes to refute it.

-Tim-

I don’t wish to frustrate him, it was I that was getting more and more frustrated!

I nearly resorted to rhetorically asking him if he could refer me to the part where Christ commands us to read the Bible, but fearing stooping to a level of immaturity I thought it was best to leave it from the domain.

Though it seemed as if he had no where to go after I responded to his “you need to read the bible and stop following the tradition of man” comment by revealing to him that of course The Word is eternal, but the Bible in which he was referring me to read in attack of Catholicism and Holy Tradition was in fact - man made, by Catholics.

I didn’t have the strength to go into the fact that John tells us if we were to write everything that Jesus had told them there wouldn’t be enough books in the world to contain them, and that message wasn’t just written but also taught orally - that Tradition is the keeping of the oral truths by maintaining what the Apostles taught, both written and orally.

Kyrie.

Please pray for me that I can be a better defender of the faith and that I stop feeling personal pride when trying to discuss the matter of Our Lord.

Pax

My response would have been, “Skip Christmas? Yeah, that’s not gonna happen.” and then I would have asked what we are all having for lunch or taken a nap or made a peanut butter and jelly sandwich or something.

-Tim-

I think I was probably seeking some kind of relief from the frustration coming here, which you have provided with your sense of good humour.

Thanks Tim

Actually it was God’s idea and is fully biblical. God sent all of the Hosts of Heaven to celebrate the birth of His only begotten Son.

Luke 2:10-14 (KJV)
10 And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people.
11 For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.
12 And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger.
13 And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying,
14 Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.

Spot on. Although, he hasn’t responded since yesterday. I’m hoping he’s perusing the RCIA course website instead of trying to stop people praising The Lord. :wink:

Isn’t what constitutes the New Testament a “human tradition”–after all Christ didn’t teach from it or instruct us to read from it because it didn’t exist. Perhaps he shouldn’t be using the New Testament? He really doesn’t think Gods becoming incarnate to save us is something he should be happy about?

The peace of Christ,
Mark

I think that is then when they try to defend the notion ‘Sola Scripture’ and believe everything that Jesus said was eventually written down, and ignorance of the scriptures is ignorance of Christ.
Although Sola Scripture being a concept taught by man not The Word which immediately falls down it it’s own argument and definition.

But as I mentioned, I didn’t have the strength to get into a verse vs fight, I really dislike the throwing around of it to try and suit them out of context and ultimately paraphrase them.

Also to mention again the fact that John specifically and literally told us it wasn’t possible to write everything that Christ said down into books because there isn’t enough in the world to contain them, suggesting that Christ words couldn’t be bound by a written format alone, which in turn opens the idea that there are other portals for knowing and teaching Christ’s messages.

This man sounds like the perfect example of a fundamentalist protestant. Those I have met are sickening people who lack respect for their fellow man. Not to mention their ignorance of history.

Everyone has a journey, which means you can always get closer to Christ, so it’s possible that yes, some people are further away and some are closer to Christ , it’s always good to help everyone get closer to The Lord however we can do that, maybe we see it as he’s taken a bit of a detour (which he probably believes I have too) but hopefully he is still on his way into the right direction (at least that’s what my current prayers will be and that I can be too) However, as you say, I don’t think this was out of love ( I can’t be sure of his intentions, only he knows) but it just sounded like this;

Jesus wasn’t born on Christmas.
If you celebrate Christmas you are not a Christian, you are a Pagan.
Christmas is a man made human tradition that was made by Catholics, not God.
(insertion of a multitude of very loosely relevant bible verses, if not completely off topic)
You can find all evidence for what I am saying in the Bible which you should be reading, I’m not explaining the choice of selected verses, I’m just putting them out there like that.

KY. RI. E.

Canary Cry Radio is a Protestant podcast I listen to. They did show on this that was pretty good. One of the hosts actually chose to.ignore Christmas for a couple years and then decided to start celebrating.it again based on his study of Scripture etc. If you listen.to.the podcast you’ll get a good explanation of the Protestant thinking both pro and con with scriptural backup for the pro christmas side. Also these have a pretty good podcast in general.

canarycryradio.com/flyby-canary-cry-christmas/

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.