Don't I NEED the Eucharist now?

I’ve recently converted to Catholicism (55 years a Protestant). This morning, I read this about the Eucharist…“Indeed, holy communion is the most profound union we can have with God this side of eternity. God comes to us sacramentally on our alters at Mass and remains present to us outside of Mass in the tabernacle”…“It can help us overcome weakness and sin, guide us in our decisions, support us in our trials and sufferings, and enable us to grow in holiness”. WOW – and to think I used to think being pentecostal was exciting!.

My point is, RCIA classes don’t start until September. I will not be able to celebrate the Eucharist until NEXT EASTER. What can I do in the meantime? I really don’t want to wait a year before I can participate in sharing the flesh and blood of our Lord (not getting any younger here folks! :wink: )

Thanks for you input!
Dab

Hold on to your britches there buddy!

First off, congrats on finding the One True Church!

Lets make sure that we have the correct words and are using them correctly, that can help with such emotional subjects.

1. You are not a convert. YET. You are in the process. Much like my seven year old has to wait to receive so do you. You have 55 years of false faith to clear up first. I was a convert too, so was my wife. It is awesome that you have this need, this want and this zeal for the Eucharist. It will serve you well. But just like we had to wait for Jesus in biblical times, so do we now. Use this time as your time in the desert until God gives you the True Manna from heaven. Jesus.

During this time of waiting to receive the Blessed Sacrament, you can make a spiritual communion with our Lord during mass.
ewtn.com/Devotionals/prayers/blsac4.htm

It is indeed very hard to be patient once you learn what and who the Eucharist is. Jesus is always with us and we should never forget that. I too had to wait (almost 2 years) but it is a blessed event that will happen in due time.
Meanwhile here is a Spiritual Communion Prayer:

O Holy Angel at my side,
go to the church for me,
kneel at my place at the Holy Mass,
where i desire to be.

At offertory, in my stead,
take all i am and own
and place it as a sacrifice
upon the altar throne.

At Holy communion bells,
adore with Seraphs love
my Jesus hidden in the Host,
come down from Heav’n above,

And when the priest communion takes
please bring my Lord to me
that His great heart may rest in mine
and His temple be.

I had to wait over a year before I could receive Holy Communion. When I had my First Communion, it was an incredible experience. The wait made me appreciate it all that much more. I went to Mass at least once a week for over a year without ever receiving, just making a spiritual communion.

That being said, if you live in a large city, you may be able to find a parish that does a summer RCIA program. My fiancee’s parish in DC has a second RCIA in the summer. Some Priests will also give private instruction, which could allow you to be received into the Church earlier. But either way, you can make a spiritual communion until then. :slight_smile:

JMR

Yes, terminology is confusing, because you are very much a convert, you just are in full communion with the Catholic Church yet.

We are all converts, if we have turned from sin back to God.

Conversion never ends!

All who follow Christ are christian. Other christian denominations have the grace of God with them. We Catholics are from the original church and we are fortunate enough to have sacraments other denominations do not. We follow the vicar of Christ on earth. Other denominations deserve respect as Christian. “One true church” is pre vatican II. Prior to receiving communion. Read, Study and move your faith from your head to your heart. Ask your self what is standing between you and God. Challenge your faith, maintain communion with God through prayer and meditation.

I know you long to receive the Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity of Our Risen Lord, Jesus Christ, in the Eucharist, but first you must be prepared. The RCIA process will take care of that and in the meantime you can pray, study and look forward to your First Communion at the Easter Vigil next year. Welcome Home!!!

Hi OP, I was also a Protestant (Anglican) for 55 years and was received into the Catholic Church this Easter.

I felt a little like you, but time passed quickly and there is much to learn, even for us oldies. :slight_smile:

I think it might be more charitable to say “imperfect” faith. There is nothing “false” about believing in and loving Christ even if that belief is manifested through a non-Catholic church that has many doctrinal flaws.

The Church certainly doesn’t teach that Protestants’ faith is “false”.

818 “However, one cannot charge with the sin of the separation those who at present are born into these communities [that resulted from such separation] and in them are brought up in the faith of Christ, and the Catholic Church accepts them with respect and affection as brothers … All who have been justified by faith in Baptism are incorporated into Christ; they therefore have a right to be called Christians, and with good reason are accepted as brothers in the Lord by the children of the Catholic Church.”

819 "Furthermore, many elements of sanctification and of truth" are found outside the visible confines of the Catholic Church: "the written Word of God; the life of grace; faith, hope, and charity, with the other interior gifts of the Holy Spirit, as well as visible elements."Christ’s Spirit uses these Churches and ecclesial communities as means of salvation, whose power derives from the fullness of grace and truth that Christ has entrusted to the Catholic Church. All these blessings come from Christ and lead to him, and are in themselves calls to “Catholic unity.”

(Catechism of the Catholic Church)

For the OP, I assume you have been baptized if a Protestant. The process has to work itself out, one must be patient. I’m sure that if there was danger of death (e.g. illness) the process might be able to be sped up. But if not, then as others have said you may be surprised how fast 1 year works out to be. If you’re like me (I’m 55 as well), it seems since I reached my 50s someone hit the “fast forward” button and time is passing with blazing speed :stuck_out_tongue:

And if God forbid something unexpected happened, God in His infinite mercy will have recognized your hunger for Him and will welcome you in His Kingdom.

=Dabhar;11961047]I’ve recently converted to Catholicism (55 years a Protestant). This morning, I read this about the Eucharist…“Indeed, holy communion is the most profound union we can have with God this side of eternity. God comes to us sacramentally on our alters at Mass and remains present to us outside of Mass in the tabernacle”…“It can help us overcome weakness and sin, guide us in our decisions, support us in our trials and sufferings, and enable us to grow in holiness”. WOW – and to think I used to think being pentecostal was exciting!.

My point is, RCIA classes don’t start until September. I will not be able to celebrate the Eucharist until NEXT EASTER. What can I do in the meantime? I really don’t want to wait a year before I can participate in sharing the flesh and blood of our Lord (not getting any younger here folks! :wink: )

Thanks for you input!
Dab

THANKS FOR POSTING:)
Two points:

PLEASE do not receive Catholic Holy Commmunion until you enter intot he CC. Doing so would NOT be a grace for you, until then.

There is a “Spiritual Holy Communion” wherein ones Sincerly longs for Christ, but is for whatever reason unable to receive Sacramental Holy Communion; THAT WILL ATTAIN GRACE FOR YOU.

Simply unite your will with the ententions of the Priest saying Mass and Offer them up along with the priest durring the Consecration, with a fervant desire to Receive Christ Spiritually. Amen!:thumbsup:

God Bless you

Wow, what a lovely mixture of replies, thoughts, warm welcomes and encouragement. Thank you all so much. I will pray for patience and trust in God’s infinite mercy and grace and count on the spiritual communion prayer in the meantime. And indeed, time does fly by as we are getting older. I was baptized, both as a child and again in the Pentecostal tradition (full immersion) when I was about 18. I left the Pentecostal/Protestant church when I was about 25 — thanks (?) to a University course that I took entitled, “The History of Christianity”, which awakened me to Catholicism. God then used the next 30 years of life experience to bring me all the way back “Home”.

Again, thank you all here and again to those on a couple of my other posts here on the forums for your wonderful welcome, input and advice. Much appreciated. :slight_smile:

Dab

[edited]

I guess it would depend on the denomination wouldn’t it. If it was Anglican then it would be pretty close. But if it were say LDS, then it would be a little more to the “false” category. Either way the Church has a system in place for conversion. It is practically to protect the two parties. The Church and the Convert.

In days past “false” would have been charitable to say the least, and the process was more rigorous and stakes were higher because lives were at stake.
Come to think of it, eternal lives still are at stake.

[edited]

Oh my. This doesn’t sound very loving. I sense anger, some resentment even, but nevertheless a stake for the truth. One of my “gifts” are that of discernment…probably my strongest. This message I discern as a bit off in some way…please correct me! Thanks!

You referred to me as “OP”. I really curious as to what that means, because the nickname goes way back for me! Thanks!

OP- Original Poster

Dabhar,
What a terrific experience to recognize the depth of the Eucharist. I was just received into the Catholic Church this past Easter Vigil. What a high point in my life. I can definitely relate to the impatience you are feeling as I did also, awaiting that day. I too wanted to receive the Eucharist more than words could ever justly describe. May I suggest that you treat this special day as one would a wedding day, for in fact, you will be participating in the most precious wedding feast ever. Use the time leading up to that special day to get to know all you can about the Lord, strengthening your relationship with him. The RCIA program is great. You will get to meet others also eager to be in full communion with the Lord and grow together in the Church. If your RCIA group is not dismissed after the homily (mine was) you can always go up to receive a blessing rather than partake in the Eucharist. God Bless you on this journey and may you experience the enormous amount of Joy and Peace that I have.

If your RCIA group isn’t dismissed before communion (my group was not dismissed) might I suggest a particular prayer you could say while others receive. I waited more than a year before coming in to the church at Vigil. Every week at Mass I said the following:

My Jesus, I believe you are truly present in the Holy Eucharist.
I love you above all things and desire to receive You into my soul.
Since I cannot at this moment receive You sacramentally,
come at least spiritually into my heart.
I embrace You as if You were there and unite myself wholly to You.
Never permit me to be separated from You.
Amen.

I do understand the desire to skip ahead. But it would be a mistake for several reasons. You need to wait, first for yourself. You need to understand the teachings of the church beforehand. You haven’t yet gone to confession, making you unworthy of partaking in the body and blood of Christ. Lastly, ask yourself how the parish will feel if they see you going forward for communion between now and next Easter Vigil, and then they see you next year going through the scrutiny process. It would create a potential issue with some people that would feel you disrespected the faith. In order to be an active, productive member of the parish, you owe it to them to wait as well.

We’ve all been where you are. The wait is worth it in the end. I hope this helps (I know I said some of the same things others have already said…but I thought the prayer might be helpful. God Bless!

:slight_smile: In the mean time you can always visit Him in the tabernacle at your local Catholic Church.

For more information regarding this booklet please go here - youshallbelieve.com/A-plea-to-humanity.pdf

And for more booklets here - youshallbelieve.com/jesus-messages/english-2/

(They all contain the Roman Catholic Imprimatur which assures the reader that nothing therein is contrary to Catholic Faith, Morals, or Teachings and they have deepened me in the One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church in many ways). :slight_smile:

Thank you for reading
Josh

[quote=Sektruth] All who follow Christ are christian. Other christian denominations have the grace of God with them. We Catholics are from the original church and we are fortunate enough to have sacraments other denominations do not. We follow the vicar of Christ on earth. Other denominations deserve respect as Christian. “One true church” is pre vatican II.
[/quote]

Congrats and good luck on your journey. For the record, “The One True Church” is post Vatican II as well. A hand severed from an arm resembles a hand, but has no life within it.

Posted from Catholic.com App for Android

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.