Don't know what to say

Hopefully I’m posting this in the right place.

Being new to the Church, I’m finding it hard to address a friend concerning the Trinity. Aside from that, this is something I believed as a non-Catholic, so I never had an issue with it.

This friend is Catholic as well. When I first started attending Mass last spring, she went with me and showed me what to do. Talking with her today (she’s a convert, too…um…approx. 15yrs) she informed me that the only thing she’s ever had trouble accepting about the Church was the Trinity. I was floored. She said she believed in God and Jesus his son. No mention of the Holy Spirit. I truly didn’t know what to say.

I attended her parish when I first started out, but I since changed and was confirmed in my parish (a bit more traditional). She told me she’s only been to Mass a few times since we went together and that her parish is too contemporary. I invited her to Mass with me Sunday, but don’t know what to think of our conversation today.

I, of course, will be praying and ask God for guidance and the wisdom to say the right thing. But I don’t even know where to begin!

Thoughts???

Love in Christ,
Kathy

I would suggest that you familarize yourself with what the Catechism of the Catholic Church says about the Trinity. Begin at article 232 here.

Do not be to dismayed, as the “three in one” all being “God” is perhaps the most difficult concept to grasp. Even Father Corapi in his teachings readily admits that he doesn’t understand it fully, and who can.
It is a mystery and a matter of faith, not intellectual understanding.
That the Holy Spirit exits is clear in Jesus establishment of the first Novena, when He requested the apostles to go back to the room where they had the first Mass during the Last Supper and “pray that the spirit may come upon you” - paraphrase. After 9 (Novena) days of prayer, the Holy Spirit descended on the 10th day.
Simply ask your friend, “if” she believes that Jesus is God.
Then, does she believe that Jesus has ever NOT told the truth.
Then, lead her to the scripture where on His ascension, He informs the aposltes regarding the coming of the Holy Spirit.
Then, ask if she can just, as a matter of faith, acknowledge that Jesus declared there was a spirit to come, and that Jesus does not lie, and therefore, the Spirit exists.
She does not have to understand “how” the Holy Spirit exists, or “what” the Holy Spirit is, just that Jesus declared it, so it is - as a matter of faith, faith in Jesus Christ our Lord.

I recommend a book called Theology For Beginners by F.J. Sheed. It covers this (and other) topic very well in an easy to understand manner.

Thank you for your kind words.
From what she has said, she believes in Jesus and God but they are separate.
I will lead her to the scriptures you have referred to.
Please keep me and my friend in your prayers.

Love in Christ,
Kathy

Thank you.
I’ve not been in a position like this before.
It’s hard to know what to say when you’re new to faith like I am, esp. to someone who’s been a Catholic for far much longer.
Thank you again.

Love in Christ,
Kathy

Thank you kindly.
I am familiar with what the CCC says concerning the Trinity. I hope my post didn’t lead you to think otherwise.
How to put that to someone who’s been Catholic for far longer than me is more of what I’m having trouble with. I will review and bring the teachings to her attention.

Love in Christ,
Kathy

Edited to add: I do thank you from the bottom of my heart. I took your post and was a little sensitive to it. However, I did review the CCC and found something wonderful to say:
CCC 266: “Now this is the Catholic faith: We worship one God in the Trinity and the Trinity in the unity, without either confusing the persons or dividing the substance; for the person of the Father is one, the Son’s another, the Holy Spirit’s another; but the Godhead of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit is one, their glory equal, their majesty coeternal.” This along with the scriptures should help me tremendously. I will encourage her to pray about this. Again, thank you.

It did not lead me to that. When I am struggling with what to say or how to say it, I find it helps if I go back to the source material and connect the question to the information.

Also, being Catholic longer is not a good indicator of how much one knows of the faith they profess.

God bless you on you service to her.

edited my last post to you…see above Post #7
[accent mine] I am now learning this.
Thank you again.

God freely offers the grace to believe in the Trinity. Suggest that asks for it. You pray that she be open to recieve the grace.

Thank you, Julie, for your kind words.
I will definitely pray this.

Love in Christ,
Kathy

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.