Don't some Anglican priests have valid orders?

I remember hearing a discussion of instances of married priests in the Latin Rite of the Catholic Church. I thought that Anglican priests, who had been ordained by certain lines of valid bishops in the Anglican community were able to become Catholic priests upon conversion due to their valid ordination as a priest. I recently read something on the forum that because Anglican beliefs in the Eucharist have changed and they no longer have valid orders. Do they have valid orders, and if so, can a married Anglican priest enter the Latin Rite of the Roman Catholic Church upon conversion because they have those valid orders?

Thanks

Dear m,

The Anglican Church does not have valid orders. It cannot validly ordain to the priesthood. However, there are some Anglican priests who have not been ordained by Anglican bishops, but by bishops of one of the Eastern Orthodox Churches or they are former Catholic priests who were validly ordained by Catholic bishops. Such priests are validly ordained.

When an Anglican priest becomes a Catholic and desires to be a Catholic priest, he must be ordained by a Catholic bishop—unless it is absolutely clear that he has already been validly ordained by a non-Anglican bishop who has valid orders.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.