Don't take our Lord's name in vain!

Okay, unfortunetely going to a secular college, taking the name of our Lord in vain is going to occur.:banghead: :tsktsk:

This has happened once in awhile in my presence yet I CAN’T stand up for our Lord and tell the people, “Don’t take our Lord’s name in vain!” otherwise, I’d be dead. I desire to and the only thing I do after I hear it is take a big sigh. Some disciple I am.:crying:

I get angry with myself yet too “afraid” to speak up.

Anyone have this problem? I HOPE it’s not a sin.

There I go again being scrupulous…:eek:

Hey Paris…Do what my priest told me to do. When you hear anyone taking the Lord’s name in vain…do a head bow, and say a prayer for that person.

If they see you Behaving piously…they just may think about the fact that these are not just words…but a really serious offense!

Just pray for them. The evil one is trying to distract you… You are so close now. Stay focused on the Lord. HOWEVER, whenever I hear someone in my office say , “Jesus Christ!” I reply with, “I’m one of his representatives, can I help you?” {with a grin of course}

[quote=Lillith]Hey Paris…Do what my priest told me to do. When you hear anyone taking the Lord’s name in vain…do a head bow, and say a prayer for that person.

If they see you Behaving piously…they just may think about the fact that these are not just words…but a really serious offense!
[/quote]

I do remember one time I just angerily glared at a person who said it, they looked at me and I looked away before they could do anything else. THough as I was walking away, they must’ve done something or said something because I heard the friend say, “You’re so mean!”

Who knows.

[quote=Paris Blues]I do remember one time I just angerily glared at a person who said it, they looked at me and I looked away before they could do anything else. THough as I was walking away, they must’ve done something or said something because I heard the friend say, “You’re so mean!”

Who knows.
[/quote]

And actually…my priest told us to head bow anytime the Lord’s name was mentioned…even when not in vain. It is a quick and easy way to Evangelize…the person might ask what you are doing and you could explain that you are showing reverence to God, as all good Catholics do.

Paris, Just because you are going to a secular college does not mean that you have to compromise your moral beliefs. This is part of the problem that we have in society. It is OK for non christians to complain about any reference to God but yet it isn’t ok for us christians to defend our beliefs. If people take our Lord’s name in vain, you could very politely ask them not to as it offends you. Most people would not take offense to a simple request like this and it may even get them thinking about what they are doing…and that is good! I recently worked at a place where you couldn’t even say God bless you if someone sneezed. Why? Because they used to have a moslem working there that was offended by it. He was long gone before I got there yet everyone still refused to say God Bless you…Not Me!!! When anyone sneezed I would say it and get funny looks from the others, but the best looks came when I myself sneezed and said, “Oh, God bless me!” it was too funny! After I left this job my son started working there…I told him about their odd little practices and how I dealt with them…he does the same and more. One of the guys working there is a DEVOUT ATHEIST and I do mean devout! So my son asks him, “So, does this mean that you will be working on Christmas since you don’t believe in Christ?” very loud in front of all the other co-workers (Yep, all 8 of them). Everyone laughed, but it also made them think about it. Why should they get time off at Christmas if they don’t believe? Well, the reason is that this country was founded by Christians and Jews. Our nation is still a majority of Christians and Jews, so we have holidays (Holy days) that still reflect this. If they can take advantage of the benefits of a Christian society, don’t they also have to tolerate some of the objectionable things of the same society? You can’t have it both ways…all the benefits without having tolerance for the different belief systems. If that was the case I would take Ramadan off, and take a break 6 times a day while any moslems want to pray. Maybe I should ask for Haunakah off too? No, I will just accept that I am in a Christian country and there are some beneffits and some responsibilities to living in this country.

[quote=BlestOne] One of the guys working there is a DEVOUT ATHEIST and I do mean devout! So my son asks him, “So, does this mean that you will be working on Christmas since you don’t believe in Christ?” very loud in front of all the other co-workers (Yep, all 8 of them). Everyone laughed, but it also made them think about it. Why should they get time off at Christmas if they don’t believe?
[/quote]

:rotfl: :rotfl:

I love that! I will definately use it…You must be proud of your son!

Just so we all know what we’re talking about, could someone please define “taking the Lord’s name in vain” and provide some examples?

For example, I have heard that habitually saying “God Bless you” to someone who has sneezed as a matter of social convention is a form of “taking the Lord’s name in vain”.

Comments?

Phil

[quote=Lillith]:rotfl: :rotfl:

I love that! I will definately use it…You must be proud of your son!
[/quote]

Lillith…You have no idea how proud I am of him. He is the most awesome kid a mom could ever have! He fixes my cars for me, goes to mass without being told or prodded, is very generous with his brother and sisters (takes them out to movies etc without being asked) He volunteers his time fixing up old computers for the elderly in our parish to have email and internet. I could go on and on…yes I am very proud of my son, even when he got kicked out of a college class for showing his teacher how to make algebra practical for everyday use (long but funny story) or when he got into a debate in Philosophy class with his teacher and held his own (about the 5th commandment).

Even a little look or pause when someone uses our Lord’s name in vain makes an impression.

Before I started living as a Christian I would say, “Oh my ____” as part of a conversation or reply to somone. I had two friends who wouldn’t say anything to me, but I could tell it bothered them. They influenced me more in what they did than in what they said. They never preached anything to me, but I watched and learned. They aren’t Catholic (actually very anti-Catholic) they were Christians who didn’t celebrate Christmas or Easter and got upset when anyone would say “God Bless you” when they or anyone else sneezed…but I didn learn from their body language that they didn’t think it was acceptable. That made me have to think about why it was offense and that was the beginning of my journey to the Catholic church.

In other words…you don’t have to SAY a word, but your actions will do the evangeling.

[quote=Paris Blues]Okay, unfortunetely going to a secular college, taking the name of our Lord in vain is going to occur.:banghead: :tsktsk:

This has happened once in awhile in my presence yet I CAN’T stand up for our Lord and tell the people, “Don’t take our Lord’s name in vain!” otherwise, I’d be dead. I desire to and the only thing I do after I hear it is take a big Gothic]
There I go again being scrupulous…:eek:
[/quote]

What you need to do is to ask the Lord to give you boldness and courage. Then you can be the Christian God has called you to be. Anyone who committs blasphemy will not get into the kingdom of heaven. If you care about peoples souls then its you job to tell them.Stop making excuses. Be bold be strong for the Lord your God is with you. Joshua 1;9. :wink: God Bless

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.