"Don't tell me you love me... Show me!"

I heard this phrase from somewhere, may be a movie, but it reminds me of what Jesus said in the Gospel: “If anyone loves me, he will keep my word, and my Father will love him… He who does not love me does not keep my words…”(John 14:23). our love of God is proven by our efforts to follow God’s commandments. We can say we love God all we want but if we do not pattern our lives to the life of Jesus and follow his commandments, we are fooling ourselves. Talk is cheap…

You got that right Sister. If in our human relationships we expect action & not just words, think of our spiritual relation(s).

As Christians we should be known by our Christ like lifes. We should be following in the foot steps of Christ by striving to live the life he led and thus bring people to Christ by people watching our behavior and how we react in stressful situations. I can’t think of a better form of evangelism.

Can you share an incident when you showed your love for God in the nitty-gritty of everyday?:slight_smile:

Not showing anger in an anger producing situation. The turning point of hatred being transformed into love!

I agree… talk IS cheap. And Our dear Lord certainly seemed to be saying just that… when he said…

“Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the Kingdom of Heaven, but only the one who does the Will of My Father in Heaven.” (Matthew 7:21)

I worry a lot… about whether or not I am doing His Will. I certainly make an attempt, by caring for my mother and being faithful to our Catholic Church. But still… there’s always that little prodding voice in the back of my mind; telling me… “you can do more”.

How do we know IF we ARE doing God’s Will in our lives?

A few days ago on the train, I saw a woman praying the Rosary by herself. I asked her if I could pray with her, and she delightedly agreed. A third person, a teenage girl, joined us and we began praying aloud.

We apparently offended one of the other passengers on the car. She asked the conductor, “Can you make them stop that? It’s annoying.”

The conductor replied, “People are free to talk on the train, miss. And you’re free to move to another car if it bothers you.” The woman left in a huff, glaring at the three of us on her way out.

Day in and day out, I deal with things far more nasty than random butt-hurt atheists. The incident unnerved the two women I was praying with, but it emboldened me. I reassured them that the presence of the Holy Spirit promised in Scripture was hard at work and that there was nothing to fear and no cause for anything but jubilation! Our prayer brought a small reckoning to that train, and I’m truly grateful for it.

When I disembarked, the older woman even gave me a lil’ kiss on the cheek. :blushing:

:gopray: <-- so yeah, do this more, ok

I think we will never be free from the uncertainty of doing God’s Will. It is part and parcel of living in faith and hope as we journey on this earth. It is good in a way because it strengthens our spiritual muscle and it prevents us from boasting and feeling complacent about our spiritual life.

We all are always falling short of responding fully to God’s invitation. But as long as we try our best and we can honestly say we gave it our all, we should be content and remain humble and at peace. There is a line in the psalter that says, “I have not set my eyes on things beyond me… the lot marked out for me is my delight!” Sometimes the devil can set before our eyes too high an expectation of things that we end up depressed because we cannot attain to them and then we grow weary of doing the simplest tasks before our eyes.

The will of God is explicitly expressed in the Ten Commandments, the laws and precepts of the Catholic Church and the obligations required by our state of life. Your actions should be measured up according to these parameters. If you have not read the book “Self-abandonment to Divine Providence” by Fr. Jean De Caussade, I suggest that you do. It is rich in counsels and you might find answers to some of your questions. Take the advice of St. Teresa, if you are living a life of the Sacraments and prayer and fulfilling the obligations of your state in life, then “let nothing disturb you, nothing frighten you, God never changes. Patience attains all things. He who has God lacks nothing. GOD ALONE IS ENOUGH.”

We are known to be followers of Christ by our actions
You asked us to share an incident, here is one of mine. I went to Bosnia for a military tour back in 2002 the place where I stayed was high up in the mountains. The town was bombed, houses destroyed, people were still fighting and most didn’t want us there. Those that did were silent, but I went out and found them, elderly people whose family were killed or had abandoned them Myself and some others took them under our wing and gave them food and clean water. We even found a daycare ran by a Nun, this daycare/orphanage took in all children in need no matter what religion they were. I started collecting money for them and gave them a check at the end of my tour. The whole time we did this stuff some people of the town would yell and spit on us, some laid out bombs in hopes that we would drive over them … It was a very sad place to be, but I hope that we brought a little light to some.

Amanda

Only in heaven will you find out the difference you made in that place and in the lives of those people!

Thank you, Sr. Helena. Your reply is greatly helpful and comforting. God bless you.

MV :slight_smile:

It’s nothing like armygirls account but the other night at work as an airport security officer I had just finished a long shift and walking out through security and this lady was arguing with t.s.a. personel because she wanted to go back into the secure are to retrieve her cell phone because to call her ride to pick her up. Because she was flying in and had already exited the checkpoint they wouldn’t let her go back thru. After talking with her a while and finding out that she left it in a restroom I went back thru security, retrieved it for her, and returned it to her. She gave me the biggest hug and was so happy.
It’s a little thing…Didn’t take more than 5 minutes but it made a difference in her life.

You’re probably thinking of a song by Eliza in “My Fair Lady,” originally a Broadway musical adapted from George Bernard Shaw’s “Pygmalion.”

Words! Words! Words! I’m so sick of words!
I get words all day through;
First from him, now from you!
Is that all you blighters can do?
Don’t talk of stars burning above;
If you’re in love, Show me!

plasticbag.org/archives/2005/05/the_lyrics_of_show_me_from_my_fair_lady/

That’s it!! Thank you!

I once read that if someone wants to know if you are a Christian, they should ask your neighbor.

Off topic, but it has always peeved me that Julie Andrews, who was so magnificent in the Broadway musical, was passed over in the film version for someone who coudn’t even sing!

I hate to contradict myself, and I don’t think that I am, but sometimes I just feel so little and unable to show God proofs of love. It is during these times that I will sit before the Blessed Sacrament and even though unable to do anything else, say to Our Lord that I love Him. The words of St. Peter, after he was asked three times by Jesus if he loved Him, give me much comfort and I make it my own prayer: “Lord, you know everything, you know well that I love you!” I’m sure many of you can resonate with that experience.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.