Don't understand the Sacrifice thing

i don’t u/stand why ancient civilizations felt the need to sacrifice something to the “gods”…

i never could u/stand that… why an animal, much less a human being … much less a person’s CHILD - Geez!!! - :mad: had to be sacrificed…

where did that idea come from?:confused:

i mean it seems almost universal from one culture to another (ancient culture)… the Aztecs… the Israelites… the worhsppers of Baal… Ok, God told the Israelites to sacrifice bulls… @ least I think He was the one who instigated that(??)… :confused:

anyhow… i may even be struggling w/ the sacrfice thing… as far as sacrificing … .say a meal or whatever… for the sake of conversions… i can understand suffering for the sake of converting someone cuz that’s what Jesus did and we are all supposedto be like Jesus…

but… well, just wondering what others’ thoughts might be on this subject… i don’t even like killing bugs…

I am a little bit like you.I can understand charity works and acts of kindness to even people you dislike or find repulsive , as an act of faith and to please God who wants us to love our neighbor like Jesus loved us and loves us.
But I do not understand why killing a God created being for the sake of sacrifice would bring anything good.Some may argue we need animals for food,so we can kill them for our
sustenance or in self defense if they attack us.But didn’t Jesus pronounce himself against sacrificing animals for homage to God?
I will search my bible to find that passage.

I’m just theorizing here …

My guess is that early civilizations wanted to ‘appease the gods’ by showing their loyalty and trust. Just as Abraham did.
To do this they ‘sacrificed’ or ‘gave up for good’ something that was precious to them, be it animal or human, in the belief that this showed their loyalty.

That’s just off the top of my pointy little head but it may contain a nugget of truth. Or maybe not …

I wonder if similar theories have been expounded upon in the past.

It is natural to man to offer sacrifice to God to make satisfaction for his sins. This was very clear in the Old Testament in the several rites. Of course, in the Church we have a much greater and perfect sacrifice, that of our Lord that is offered everyday on the altar by the priests of the Church. Even in the misguided and bastardized pagan religions, man still found it necessary to offer sacrifice to appease the wrath of the gods. Just as they bastardized the proper worship, so too did they bastardize the proper sacrifice due to God for sin.

In the case of our beloved Christ sacrifice , he suffered himself in his own flesh.
What sacrifice is to go and kill other human being like the aztecs did?
If you were a father that gave your child gifts(other brothers and sisters for company,animals for
sustenance and company too)would you appreciate your child’s destruction of one of your gifts to pleasure you. It does not make sense.
His commandment you shall not kill tells us
that doing so separates us from God rather than appease him.
We must show our loyalty and love by the way we live our lives and give of ourselves with our efforts and work to bring His message to everyone in our path.

I’ve read the Bible … Jesus never said anythng one way or theother about animal sacrifice… but he was Jewish and ate the Passover lamb…

i just don’t u/stand how it ever entered man’s head to sacrfice humans…!!!

but then i do u/stand…

the devil… he’s always putting weird stuff into our heads…

but we don’t listen to him… :slight_smile:

i think i can u/stand when i think of sacrifice as a “gift”

but i still cannot comprehend how anyone could willingly give up his own child… that is beyond sick… VERY unnatural… and it seems that the ancient civilizations would have seen this act against nature as an act against the “gods”… :confused:

i have read the entire Old Testament and my conclusion is that God hated child-killing worse than any other sin…

i don’t have the scirpture passages handy that speak of this unspeakable thing… but i can get them later…

to read the OT … it seems to say that God hated idolatry most of all (which he did)… but all sin is idolatry when you think of it… worshpping false gods, whether its $$ or sex or drugs… or even human relationships (a lot of which are sick these days, to say the least). The pagan societies that sacrificed their children to t he gods… well, the people worshpped these crazy gods that would seem to require they kill their children…

it seems to me we feel closer to God in the presence of children than anywhere else… so… .just can’t u/stand this…

Wht greater sin can there be than to kill a child, much less your own?

I think God is MUCH more angry @ “us” (so called “developed” countries) over abortion than any of us realizes…

hmmm…

strange term “sacrifice of the Mass”

to me its a sacrifice to be anywhere BUT Mass…

i think the Aztecs were just possessed… i mean that one ruler in particular… can’t recall his name but he lived to be 98 yrs old and kept up human sacrifice (i think) till the day he died… weird… if thats not sold out to the devil, don’t know w hat is… he wasn’t the king… but some general or something… under Montezuma…

the other men of the army were supposed to view the daily sacrifices but most didn’t want to… but this guy always did…

i love reading about Cortes and how he busted that whole thing up… He was extremely brave and a very devout catholic who wanted to spread the faith to the barbarians… without him… there wouldn’t be any civilized (uh… for the most part cirvilized) western world…

but you know… just thought of something…

some today would probably just call Cortes a murderer… like Roeder…

:rolleyes:

Abortion is a form of child sacrifice to a baal or false God. I had a friend who had an abortion and they lifted up their second child and said “I offer this child up as a sacrifice” in front of me. It was quite weird. In the past they sacrificed children at birth to false Gods, but Christianity has pushed that back into the womb. Some people see abortion as witchcraft and paganism.

An excellent point!

the aborted child??

i don’t get it… Why would they say such a thing? who were they offering the child to??

most women probably have abortions cuz they’re in a bad place, financially or emotioanlly or whatever…

but whether they realize it or not, they are serving Satan… so i totally agree w/ you…

the Isreaelites (OT) always worshppd baal and other gods… but in reality they were worshpping satan… who is the ultimate anti-God entity…

That’s why God punished the Isrealites in sometimes awesome and terrible ways… seemingly over-doing it at times…

but it wasn’t over doing anything cuz the devil… is nothing to mess around with… which should go w/o saying… but lots of people mess around w/ him… thro sin… & sin opens the doors to him…

I really like this short video on the Sacrifice of the Mass. 3 min.

opusdei.us/art.php?p=38802

That was a Walk in the Park video…

thanks… :slight_smile:

I am sorry I don’t understand “walk in the park”…did it help? Was it useful? Hope so.

its a saying i picked up from watching Rockford Files yrs ago… one of the best TV shows ever made…

Rockford said something about some activity he had to do as part of his job… (i think that’s the context?) & he said it was no walk in the park… wish i could remmeber things bettr…

just means a pleasant experience…

i cried watching that video… have NO idea why… but i dont cry easily… so thats why it was odd…

just love … what seem to be… real priests… i guess???

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.