Don't want to do part of penance

If you go to confession and priest gives you a penance that he even said part of it would be hard for me to do if I intentionally don’t do it how serious is that? I mean I can still take communion right because I did receive absolution.

I’m not 100% sure what you mean.

I don’t fully understand this also but here is what I have come to understand… absolution is given with the thought that the sinner will complete his penance in the future. To intentionally avoid a penance could mean you need to again go to confession before receiving the Eucharist.

Again I could be wrong and if so hope I someone corrects me here.

Sounds reasonable to me.

You should try to do your penance and it is the safer option.Are there any things that impedde you from doing your penance.?

I was given two rosaries to say. I have no problem in doing the first one but the second one involves saying it for someone who has harmed a member of my family and I just can’t bring myself to do it. The prayer wouldn’t be honest so what would be the purpose in doing it? I don’t want to be disrespectful to the priest but just the thought of saying a rosary for this person makes me angry.

And that is precisely why you need to pray a rosary for that person. Your priest knows what he’s doing. :slight_smile:

You could try to direct your prayers for this person in many different positive directions… their conversion, their forgiveness, a change in their heart, a change in their behaviors? Did he specify how you need to pray for this person?

Jesus instructed us not just to love for our friends but to love for our enemies. This is a real case of that.

You don’t have to have good feelings towards the other person. That’s not what Jesus meant, exactly. Pray that they may come to conform themselves to Christ and repent of their sins. It’s about what you do, not what you feel.

he is teaching you forgiveness. perhaps start out by praying you find forgiveness through this action. because your sin might of been anger and not forgiveness.

its so hard to forgive, it doesn’t happen overnight. its something we battle with.

You might start with saying the Our Father in this way:

“Forgive me my tresspasses as I forgive John Smith who has trespassed against me”.

Work up to the full Rosary.

It seems all of you are in accordance with the priest to say the rosary. It would be a very hard thing to do. I have struggled with it several days now. It may not be about my feelings but when someone has harmed someone you love it’s personal . I know the priest is concerned about the person’s soul whereas I’m concerned with the harm to my family member. I guess I don’t have the forgiving heart my priest does. God forgive me I have even been mad at the priest the last few days for even suggesting it.

Kudos to this priest.

Best. Penance. Ever.

If it’s something we wanted, it wouldn’t be much of a penance, now would it?

Do it. You’d be surprised at the grace and merit you will gain from it.

For their soul

I think he’s actually more concerned with yours. :heart:

It will be difficult, but I believe that if you do this, you will someday be grateful to the priest

You will have to tell the priest what you just told us here. Can you bring yourself to do that?

Anger against the person and a feeling of Injustice

Not to be harsh: but the OUr Father says something you might want to refelct on: “Forgive us our trespsasses (sines) as we forgive others…”

That is a hard saying, and I don’t mean in any way to minimize your anger or any injustice.

But that comes to us directly from Christ. No one said following Him was easy - even he did not minimize the cost.

Hope that helps. It is a long journey - I know, I have been on one now for 31 years.

I may have to

And from just my own experience, maybe more than once. Anger at an action that hurt someone close and the sense of injustice can be strong. Reflect on the mercy Jesus offers to us, and hopefully forgiveness can come in time. I really think the priest has your good and the good of your soul at heart.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.