Donum Vitae question about adoption

I posted a similar question last year but the discussion fizzled. I'm hoping someone might have additional insight for me.

I'm rereading and trying to better understand Donum Vitae. In that document, then Cardinal Ratzinger writes:

[quote=]Respect for the unity of marriage and for conjugal fidelity demands that the child be conceived in marriage; The bond existing between husband and wife accords the spouses, in an objective and inalienable manner, the exclusive right to become father and mother soley through each other.
[/quote]

I understand well that this is in the context of discussing the immorality of artificial reproductive technologies like IVF and surrogacy. I'm trying to understand why he chooses to say that the right of spouses to become parents exclusively through each other inalienable, as this seems to contradict the Church's tradition of facilitating and encouraging adoption.

I realize the act of adoption is an act of charity. But through the act of adoption, do not spouses become parents through someone other than each other? How does this not contradict what Ratzinger wrote?

I suspect it was merely said without adoption in mind at all and he was merely speaking against having biological offspring in an immoral manner via surrogacy, IVF, fornication, etc.

He’s only talking about those couples who are having a biological child, that if they are going to have a biological child that it is mandated that it be within marriage.

As bzkoss236 wrote, the statement pertains to biological children. Prospective adoptive parents don’t have a right to become adoptive parents. They are vetted and selected. Once the adoption is complete, the standard rights of parentage are ascribed to them, but these are separate from the right to conceive with one’s spouse.

[quote="SonCatcher, post:4, topic:328696"]
As bzkoss236 wrote, the statement pertains to biological children. Prospective adoptive parents don't have a right to become adoptive parents. They are vetted and selected. Once the adoption is complete, the standard rights of parentage are ascribed to them, but these are separate from the right to conceive with one's spouse.

[/quote]

This :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.