Door to Door

I have always wondered, why do mormons go door to door trying to convert people? Jesus didn’t and he said also go to peoples houses that you are invited to, but don’t go to ones you arn’t invited too. I think it was the one that said shake the dust off your sandles where you are not invited. So I’m just wondering.

[quote=alterserver_07]I have always wondered, why do mormons go door to door trying to convert people? Jesus didn’t and he said also go to peoples houses that you are invited to, but don’t go to ones you arn’t invited too. I think it was the one that said shake the dust off your sandles where you are not invited. So I’m just wondering.
[/quote]

Yu know, I’m thinking- maybe people don’t do what Jesus said just because there’s no bling. Sometimes hombres just want bling instead. Cubic zirconium instead of diamond.

[quote=alterserver_07]I have always wondered, why do mormons go door to door trying to convert people?
[/quote]

Because it works.

[quote=alterserver_07]I have always wondered, why do mormons go door to door trying to convert people? Jesus didn’t and he said also go to peoples houses that you are invited to, but don’t go to ones you arn’t invited too. I think it was the one that said shake the dust off your sandles where you are not invited. So I’m just wondering.
[/quote]

There’s nothing about being ‘invited’ in–the Seventy just went, preaching the Gospel:

Luke 10: 1-12

1After these things the LORD appointed other seventy also, and sent them two and two before his face into every city and place, whither he himself would come. 2Therefore said he unto them, The harvest truly is great, but the labourers are few: pray ye therefore the Lord of the harvest, that he would send forth labourers into his harvest. 3Go your ways: behold, I send you forth as lambs among wolves. 4Carry neither purse, nor scrip, nor shoes: and salute no man by the way. 5And into whatsoever house ye enter, first say, Peace be to this house. 6And if the son of peace be there, your peace shall rest upon it: if not, it shall turn to you again. 7And in the same house remain, eating and drinking such things as they give: for the labourer is worthy of his hire. Go not from house to house. 8And into whatsoever city ye enter, and they receive you, eat such things as are set before you: 9And heal the sick that are therein, and say unto them, The kingdom of God is come nigh unto you. 10But into whatsoever city ye enter, and they receive you not, go your ways out into the streets of the same, and say, 11Even the very dust of your city, which cleaveth on us, we do wipe off against you: notwithstanding be ye sure of this, that the kingdom of God is come nigh unto you. 12But I say unto you, that it shall be more tolerable in that day for Sodom, than for that city.

But here’s a primary justification for door-to-door preaching, commonly used by both LDS and JW’s:

Acts 5: 42:

42And daily in the temple, and in every house, they ceased not to teach and preach Jesus Christ.
Didn’t even know that was there, didja?

The one that I noticed the other day was this one:
Acts17-1 Now when they had passed through Amphip’olis and Apollo’nia, they came to Thessaloni’ca, where there was a synagogue of the Jews. 2 And Paul went in, as was his custom, and for three weeks he argued with them from the scriptures explaining and proving that it was necessary for the Christ to suffer and to rise from the dead, and saying, “This Jesus, whom I proclaim to you, is the Christ.”

16 Now while Paul was waiting for them at Athens, his spirit was provoked within him as he saw that the city was full of idols. 17 So he argued in the synagogue with the Jews and the devout persons, and in the market place every day with those who chanced to be there.
When I read those I thought about the LDS and JWs who come back week after week.

And Acts19-
8 And he entered the synagogue and for three months spoke boldly, arguing and pleading about the kingdom of God; 9 but when some were stubborn and disbelieved, speaking evil of the Way before the congregation, he withdrew from them, taking the disciples with him, and argued daily in the hall of Tyran’nus. 10 This continued for two years, so that all the residents of Asia heard the word of the Lord, both Jews and Greeks.
I noticed this a few days ago as well. Its true, some LDS came to my parents home a few years ago and they came back week after week, each time one of the two would be different from the last week.

I agree with Timidity, it does work.

It does work, and this is how the LDS church has become one of the fastest-growing religions in the world. I know one of their “bishops” (a former Catholic) and he told me they actually keep a large map of the city on the wall, with color-coded pushpins indicating which homes they have visited and what type of response they received there.

[quote=urquhart]It does work, and this is how the LDS church has become one of the fastest-growing religions in the world. I know one of their “bishops” (a former Catholic) and he told me they actually keep a large map of the city on the wall, with color-coded pushpins indicating which homes they have visited and what type of response they received there.
[/quote]

I heard the same thing, that the groups that go out in each neighborhood they record the response of each house and keep it as records for future use.
Kind of spooky.

[quote=Catholic Dude]I heard the same thing, that the groups that go out in each neighborhood they record the response of each house and keep it as records for future use.
Kind of spooky.
[/quote]

Gee, that’s exactly the same as the JW’s. They do the same thing except they send in weekly reports somewhere.

[quote=stillsearching]Gee, that’s exactly the same as the JW’s. They do the same thing except they send in weekly reports somewhere.
[/quote]

OK first of all Latter day Saint were doing this long before JW. It started in the early begings of the church, that’s why so many people came to America in the 1830’s. There were missionaries going out to Europe. They were commanded to meet as one body and go to America. So they moved from Europe to America and eventually to Salt Lake City.

[quote=Catholic Dude]I heard the same thing, that the groups that go out in each neighborhood they record the response of each house and keep it as records for future use.
Kind of spooky.
[/quote]

I didn’t go on a mission so I can’t tell you what they record but I will say this they don’t record who is saying no. Unless it is a big NO then they might make a mental note (at least I would).

[quote=LDS]OK first of all Latter day Saint were doing this long before JW. It started in the early begings of the church, that’s why so many people came to America in the 1830’s. There were missionaries going out to Europe. They were commanded to meet as one body and go to America. So they moved from Europe to America and eventually to Salt Lake City.
[/quote]

Cool. So the JW’s borrowed it from the LDS. that’s kin of like the LDS borrowing it from the Masons right? I get it. Hey wait a minute. I thought J. Smith was born in the U.S. not Europe. Now you say Smith and his homies came from Europe here? Dudes, this is getting really confusing.

[quote=stillsearching]Cool. So the JW’s borrowed it from the LDS. that’s kin of like the LDS borrowing it from the Masons right? I get it. Hey wait a minute. I thought J. Smith was born in the U.S. not Europe. Now you say Smith and his homies came from Europe here? Dudes, this is getting really confusing.
[/quote]

Read some history Dude…Joseph was born in New York, but as soon as the LDS Church was organized they sent missionaries all over the world. There were thousands of converts from Europe who came to America through their conversion to the Church, and when they arrived many of them traveled to the west and settled Utah and California and Arizona and Idaho. They followed the commandment made by Jesus Christ after He was resurrected when He sent Apostles to preach the gospel to the Gentiles. He commanded the Apostles, “Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature” Mark 16:15 In June 1830, Samuel Harrison Smith, the Prophet’s brother, began the first missionary journey for the Church. Since that time the Church has grown to 12 million members, so we must be doing something right. :thumbsup: BJ

[quote=BJ Colbert]Read some history Dude…Joseph was born in New York, but as soon as the LDS Church was organized they sent missionaries all over the world. There were thousands of converts from Europe who came to America through their conversion to the Church, and when they arrived many of them traveled to the west and settled Utah and California and Arizona and Idaho. They followed the commandment made by Jesus Christ after He was resurrected when He sent Apostles to preach the gospel to the Gentiles. He commanded the Apostles, “Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature” Mark 16:15 In June 1830, Samuel Harrison Smith, the Prophet’s brother, began the first missionary journey for the Church. Since that time the Church has grown to 12 million members, so we must be doing something right. :thumbsup: BJ
[/quote]

Like who? Irish came to America to get out of poverty-not to be LDS. And then Italians came to America to get out of poverty-not to be LDS. And then like the Germans-they were like Mennonites or something. And then tons and tons of people came to go to the gold fields in California and pick up some gold, not to be LDS.
This is an unreal american history you just gave me. It sure isn’t in the old textbooks. Who are these guys who came from Europe that you are talking about? Can’t find them anywhere, the ones who came to be LDS.

[quote=BJ Colbert]Read some history Dude…:thumbsup: BJ
[/quote]

I like this part of history personally - the 1800 years prior to J. Smith.

Here’s a good place to start:
staycatholic.com/early_church_fathers.htm

[quote=E.E.N.S.]I like this part of history personally - the 1800 years prior to J. Smith.
[/quote]

Not to mention that there is absolutely no historical or archeological evidence to support the claims of Joseph Smith. The so-called golden plates were never found, there is no evidence whatsoever to support the claim that Jesus appeared to anyone in the Americas after His Resurrection, and in fact, Smith himself admitted that the whole thing was made up. Case closed.

[quote=stillsearching]Like who? Irish came to America to get out of poverty-not to be LDS. And then Italians came to America to get out of poverty-not to be LDS. And then like the Germans-they were like Mennonites or something. And then tons and tons of people came to go to the gold fields in California and pick up some gold, not to be LDS.
This is an unreal american history you just gave me. It sure isn’t in the old textbooks. Who are these guys who came from Europe that you are talking about? Can’t find them anywhere, the ones who came to be LDS.
[/quote]

So you never heard of the Mormon Pioneers? You have led a very sheltered life. But, no matter, my own ancestors were converted to the LDS Church in England and Ireland and Denmark, and came across the ocean and walked with handcarts to Utah and from there some of them settled in Idaho.
I did not mean to imply that all settlers were LDS, only the ones who joined the Church. Read California history, about the Gold rush settlers many of them were Mormons. There are a lot of Mormon historical sites in my area. They did not come to be LDS, they already were LDS. I guess you never heard of Salt Lake City, and Brigham Young either. I really don’t know how to answer someone who has never heard of these things. So I would suggest you study some more history, if you really care to know.
BJ

[quote=jusher7281]Not to mention that there is absolutely no historical or archeological evidence to support the claims of Joseph Smith. The so-called golden plates were never found, there is no evidence whatsoever to support the claim that Jesus appeared to anyone in the Americas after His Resurrection, and in fact, Smith himself admitted that the whole thing was made up. Case closed.
[/quote]

Note: I am not Catholic because I believe the Mormons are wrong (or anyone else for that matter), I am Catholic because I believe in the truths of the Catholic Faith (plus history, the Bible, and early Church fathers make it very clear!)
One, holy, catholic, and apostolic! :slight_smile:

BJ is right about this. :thumbsup: The Mormons, from Nauvoo on, sent missionaries to Europe. The converts there were obligated to go to Utah-- to help in establishing the “New Zion”. Many of them were highly motivated by the promise of land, a new life, prosperity, etc etc. So both motivations were present. I personally think the second one was extremely important for most!!! :smiley:

[quote=jusher7281]Not to mention that there is absolutely no historical or archeological evidence to support the claims of Joseph Smith. The so-called golden plates were never found, there is no evidence whatsoever to support the claim that Jesus appeared to anyone in the Americas after His Resurrection, and in fact, Smith himself admitted that the whole thing was made up. Case closed.
[/quote]

Note: I am not Catholic because I believe the Mormons are wrong (or anyone else for that matter), I am Catholic because I believe in the truths of the Catholic Faith (plus history, the Bible, and early Church fathers make it very clear!)
One, holy, catholic, and apostolic! :slight_smile:

Luke 10: 1-12 proves my point. I when they don’t recieve you, ( don’t invite you), leave the city. I don’t think many mormon missionaries are recieved into citys unless it is in Utah or something like that. Only by there mormon friends that already know the “truth”. So I still haven’t herd why they go against the Bible.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.