Douay-Rheims Bible

Hello y'all,

I was looking for a new traditional Bible to use and to go along with my RSV-CE and my NAB.

Which publishing of the Douay-Rheims Bible should I use?
-Baronius Press
-St. Benedict Press
-Other

I have no experience with either of those publishers. I do have an old John Murphy Company D-R that suits me just fine.

Another bible to consider: the Confraternity Bible (1941-1969). Early versions use the D-R OT combined with the 20th century English of the Confraternity New Testament translation. The Confraternity, while updating the NT language, still retains some of the holiness of theological language (thees and thous), whereas many newer bible translations sound like your co-workers talking at lunchtime. As the years progressed, the OT in the Confraternity translation was slowly introduced (but not completed under a single cover). I like the older versions, as even the language reflects which testament you are in. They can be found inexpensively on eBay, in thrift stores and in used book stores. IMO, they are far superior to the NAB or NAB/RE.

[quote="landon13, post:1, topic:330270"]
Hello y'all,

I was looking for a new traditional Bible to use and to go along with my RSV-CE and my NAB.

Which publishing of the Douay-Rheims Bible should I use?
-Baronius Press
-St. Benedict Press
-Other

[/quote]

I have the large size soft cover 2 volume D-R with Haydock commentary published by Catholic Treasures.
I also have a hard cover one volume Challoner edition with almost no notes published by Tan books.
I prefer the edition with the Haydock commentary.

My Baronius pocket Douay-Rheims Bible arrived yesterday and I'm very happy with it. Gotta love those second century manuscripts. Of course, an old flatus like me will not want to try it without reading glasses; the print is pretty small in the pocket edition. But very readable!

I opted for Baronius because it is stitch bound. I've read that the one published by St. Benedict Press is glue-bound.

I forgot to add that I love the leather cover of my Baronius pocket edition. Some people have written that it is really bonded leather but the description on the packaging only says "leather" and I can't tell the difference. Can somebody set me straight?

[quote="Russ_of_Tokyo, post:4, topic:330270"]
My Baronius pocket Douay-Rheims Bible arrived yesterday and I'm very happy with it. Gotta love those second century manuscripts. Of course, an old flatus like me will not want to try it without reading glasses; the print is pretty small in the pocket edition. But very readable!

I opted for Baronius because it is stitch bound. I've read that the one published by St. Benedict Press is glue-bound.

[/quote]

I have seen this version before and I am saving up every penny I have to order one of the pocket editions. Many people say it is about the size of a volume of Christian Prayer from the LOTH. Too bad they aren't much cheeper, though. But hey, they are quality made and traditional!

Blessings!

I voted other - my Douay-Rheims Chanoller revision is from Tan Books, which I believe was based on the John Murphy version.

I would also echo consideration for the Confraternity Bible (mine is revised through the Sapeintial books). Found it the other weekend at Goodwill for $4, and although it has the old moldy book smell to it, it is generally a better read than my D-R; better type (since my DR I believe was a scan from the murphy print), and it retains enough of the thees, thys, and thous to make me feel like I’m reading something ancient & historic.

FWIW, there are a few things to keep in mind about the Old Testament in ANY Confraternity bible:

• If a particular book IS NOT in the Confratrernity translation it retains the Douay-Rheims translation.

• If a book IS in the Confratrernity translation it is the same as the 1970 NAB with some minor exceptions.

• Confraternity Genesis is the exception to the previous rule. It was translated yet again for the 1970 NAB. The Confraternity Genesis is unique.

None of this applies to the Confraternity New Testament. It was the earliest Confraternity translation. Unlike the rest of the Confraternity output, it was undertaken as a revision of the D-R. It is the only part of the Confraternity translation that retains archaic pronouns. It was not used for the NAB NT which was completely new at the time.

I think it depends on what you are looking for. If you want a well-made classic looking Douay-Rheims than go with the Baronius press edition. If you want one with a more contemporary feel and look to it, go for the premium ultrasoft one from Saint Benedict Press.

I voted for the one I have and use a fairly large Benedict Press. It does have one problem the cover is leather, but it is too thin/flexible so it easily get folded. It is readable by one who is 62 and needs reading glasses. It is not an extensive study bible, but it does have fairly good notes and references.
Grace and peace,
Bruce

The various forms of the Confraternity are my clear favorite. They are truly hard to fault, IMO.

The one by Benedict Press is awesome, I'm very pleased with it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.