Douay Rheims Challoner compared to the original?

hey all! i am new to the forum . i’m curious on the original douay rheims and considering buying dr vons peter on the real douay rheims new testament ,any thoughts on it? for those who have read both which do you prefer ? and is there a huge difference in the original and challoner ?

The original, which I normally quote from on these forums, is quite a bit different, although the Challoner version is normally closer to the original than to protestant versions. Bishop Challoner heavily based or was influenced in his translation by the King James (Authorized) version, and so seems to follow that many times even where it is not completely faithful to the vulgate. Some of the translations are his own unique work, and sometimes he has corrected errors or inaccuracies in the original Douay. However, usually the original is much more literal to the vulgate, and I would recommend that one. It is available free in many copies on Google books, and here is a link to one I found quickly, although not the best scanned: https://www.google.com/books/edition/Holy_Bible_faithfvlly_translated_into_En/WI7WAAAAMAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=original+douay+rheims&printsec=frontcover

If you would like, I will send you a .pdf file with a better scan of the whole original 3 volumes.

An example of the difference in style is Philippians 2:10

Original

For the which thing God also hath exalted him, and hath given him a name which is above all names: that in the name of JESUS every knee bow of the celestials, terrestrials, and infernals: and every tongue confess that our Lord JESUS Christ is in the glory of God the Father.

Challoner:

For which cause God also hath exalted him, and hath given him a name which is above all names: That in the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of those that are in heaven, on earth, and under the earth: And that every tongue should confess that the Lord Jesus Christ is in the glory of God the Father.

Also the original included a huge amount of annotations in the margins and at the end of chapters, and before books, etc. which give a very good overview of traditional Catholicism and how it interprets the bible.

Thanks for your reply. I’ve seen a lot of pdf online, however, I want the physical copy of it. Do you recommend the Vons Peter version? http://www.lulu.com/shop/dr-william-von-peters/the-original-and-true-rheims-new-testament-of-anno-domini-1582/paperback/product-23871092.html

I haven’t read that, but from the preview it looks like the original retyped, although it doesn’t seem to include any of the notes, unless they are included at the end of each book or something. It looks like it would be good, if the printing is easy for you to read. Also, that one is only the New Testament.

I just ordered it. Can’t wait to get it! I researched ,So it includes the original rheims new testament retyped into modern type and modern spelling, while remaining completely faithful to the original wording of the original and includes the annotations from the original as well.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.