Douay-Rheims fans: What do you do with the Liturgy of the Hours?

I wasn't sure where to put this question since it deals with a Bible translation as well as liturgy!

I've started to really like the Douay-Rheims Challoner Bible (I also liked the King James Bible when I was a Protestant).

So, Douay-Rheims fans: What do you do with the Liturgy of the Hours? Do you just use the modern texts and grin and bear it? Do you juggle two books and switch to the D-R as often as necessary? Do you use an old breviary which makes you go through the entire Psalter in a week?

Are there solutions that I have missed? I hope so!

I find the Christian Prayer version is very nice.

I don’t really know what they do with the Liturgy of the Hours. Maybe they use an older breviary.

[quote="Russ_of_Tokyo, post:1, topic:329142"]
I wasn't sure where to put this question since it deals with a Bible translation as well as liturgy!

I've started to really like the Douay-Rheims Challoner Bible (I also liked the King James Bible when I was a Protestant).

So, Douay-Rheims fans: What do you do with the Liturgy of the Hours? Do you just use the modern texts and grin and bear it? Do you juggle two books and switch to the D-R as often as necessary? Do you use an old breviary which makes you go through the entire Psalter in a week?

Are there solutions that I have missed? I hope so!

[/quote]

I say the LOTH, why do you think I'd have to "grin and bear it"?

[quote="Fairwinds, post:4, topic:329142"]
I say the LOTH, why do you think I'd have to "grin and bear it"?

[/quote]

Read the entire subject header of this thread, particularly the first three words (Douay-Rheims fans) and I think you'll have a clue as to why I phrased it that way...

I’m a “fan” of the DR and I read the LOTH. why would I have to “grin and beat” the text of the LOTH? do you think something is wrong with it?

I think the point of it is the meaning of the words.

If you prefer one official form of the words over the another that is fine and a personal thing.

I love the Douay-Rheims too.

Remember though in the end the purpose of it all is the meaning and prayer from the heart.

God bless you+

[quote="Fairwinds, post:6, topic:329142"]
I'm a "fan" of the DR and I read the LOTH. why would I have to "grin and beat" the text of the LOTH? do you think something is wrong with it?

[/quote]

Nice try, but I'm not taking the bait.

Getting back to the original question, one more possible solution did occur to me after I asked it, but I'll wait to see what other helpful ideas, if any, appear here first.

To a certain degree it depends on whether you are praying alone or with others, and whether you care about praying the liturgical prayer of the Church or simply want to pray as a personal devotion.

If you are praying with others you will want to use the official texts. In the US that means Shorter Christian Prayer, the one-volume Christian Prayer, or the four-volume Liturgy of the Hours. (Or other approved versions used in monasteries.)

If you are praying alone and want to join with others around the world praying the Church's prayer, then you also need to use the approved translations.

If you simply want to pray, and don't care about what other people are doing, then you can alter the texts as you wish. If you have an obligation to pray -- such as clergy, religious, members of third orders, etc. -- then you meet the obligation with approved texts If you have no obligation -- such as most lay people -- then use any text you like. It is personal prayer rather than the liturgy of the Church, but personal prayer in the spirit of the Liturgy of the Hours is also a good thing.

[quote="Russ_of_Tokyo, post:8, topic:329142"]
Nice try, but I'm not taking the bait.

Getting back to the original question, one more possible solution did occur to me after I asked it, but I'll wait to see what other helpful ideas, if any, appear here first.

[/quote]

don't set out bait if you don't want a response like that.

One option that came to me was to get a copy of the Little Office of the Blessed Virgin Mary, the Baronius Press edition. It has the Douay-Rheims English along side the Latin, and from what I've read (in a treatise from the early 1900s) the Little Office is also considered the official prayer of the Church. Does anyone use this?

I had considered it a while back when I was thinking about my Brown Scapular obligations, but decided to not buy it. Now I might reverse my decision and get it after all...

Here's the Treatise:
archive.org/details/littleofficeofou00tauniala

My copy of the Little Office of the Blessed Virgin Mary by Baronius Press arrived today, being shipped from Pennsylvania to Tokyo in less than 4 days! That must be some kind of record! I'm very pleased with it, and I think it solves my problem of wanting to pray the prayer of the Church in traditional Douay-Rheims Challoner English (or eventually Latin) rather than ICEL English.

It also let's me finally have a Breviary small enough to carry in a pocket everywhere, something I had wanted for a long time but didn't think I'd ever see. I tried all eight hours today and was energized throughout the day!

Since I studied Gregorian Chant a few years ago when I was an Anglican and memorized a bunch of Latin prayers last Lent season, I was able to open the musical notation section in the back and start chanting away as if I had done it all along. What a high that was!

This book will always be with me. Can't wait to do it again tomorrow.

I spoke too soon. The chants for Deus in adjutorium meum intende etc were a breeze, but most of the other chants are a huge challenge! Got my work cut out for me…

After using this for a few days, I’m really sold! With the world going faster and new Bible and Breviary translations and revisions hitting us all the time, I’m happy to finally get off the merry-go-round and settle down with my very old and out-of-fashion Douay-Rheims Bible and Breviary.

I feel like I finally traded in my polyester leisure suit for a pair of old jeans.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.