Douay-Rheims: Loreto & Baronius

Howdy,

I know this has been discussed before but I have also noticed talk of new editions, lower or higher quality bindings and printings, etc…

Does anyone own (or seen) both the Loreto and Baronius editions of the Duay-Rheims Bible? Would you recommend one over the other? If so, why? Reviews on vendor sites are conflicting, with sworn fans and sworn critics of each!

According to their respective websites, both are “chunky” (nearly 2 inches thick?) and have two ribbons. It seems Both offer a leather-over-hardcover version while only Baronius also markets a “flexible” leather binding.

How about the print size and quality? Construction? Are the OT books identified with their Latin names or more familiar Greek/English titles, as most protestant Bibles do it?

Thanks for any and all advice! Have a blessed week.

I apologize that I won’t be addressing all of your questions, but I did want to mention something.

You may have heard that the Baronius Press editions have contained typographical errors. I have, within the past two months, purchased an edition of their Douay-Rheims, directly from Baronius’ Amazon store, and would like to confirm that there are still mistakes present. I’ve found, thus far, a total of three. (I can also confirm at least one typo in their printing of the Knox Bible, and there seems to be a general consensus among the reviews that I’ve read of their products: Baronius Press publishes a fair amount of works which could have been proofread better, and are typographically flawed.)

Also, while I can understand why there is an edition being marketed as having a “flexible cover,” I would also add that it would be just as well to refer to it simply as being a “hardcover” edition.

Aside from the typos, the Bible is quite beautiful, and the print is sharp and precise, and the pages are of quality.

I owned an edition of the Loreto some 10 years ago, but I’m afraid I haven’t seen it in quite some time, and so I can’t speak to the print quality. I don’t think it would be unfair to say the Baronius Press edition is the more attractive of the two.

Lastly, I have an edition of this Douay-Rheims: books.benedictpress.com/index.php/Douay-Rheims-Bible-Burgundy-Premium-UltraSoft. Between this work and the Baronius, I would pick the former, and I am especially desirous of this edition: books.benedictpress.com/index.php/Douay-Rheims-Bible-Black-Genuine-Leather

Thank you!

I own a SBP Douay-Rheims and it is nice. I’m still interested in either a Loreto or Baronius as well because of the more durable sewn bindings, dual ribbon markers and (hopefully) sharper type. Oh, also because I’m a bible nut! :o

I find the SBP print a bit smudgy in places and the paper tends to be pretty thin. If it wasn’t in verse format my fussy eyes would have trouble reading it for extended periods.

Would you say the font size is comparable in the three editions we’ve mentioned here? I’ve only seen the SBP in person.

(SBP used to make a large print Douay-Rheims but it’s now out of print- what a shame, it looked very sweet, aside from the same glued binding issue.)

Thanks again.

I have the St. Benedict Press/TAN Books leather version and wonder if I should have purchased the premium ultrasoft instead. The leather version does not feel as much like a fine Bible as I had hoped. I like the fact that it is a red-letter Bible. The ribbon is now fraying.

A brief review is at timhollingworth.blogspot.com/2014/01/douay-rheims-bible-by-st.html.

-Tim-

TimothyH wrote:

*The ribbon is now fraying. *

Just about every bible I own either had fraying ribbons right out of the box or began to as soon as I used them. What I do with every bible is neatly trim the ribbon(s) and pass a flame over the end a few times. This solves the problem.

I first began shortening my ribbons due to “curious cat syndrome.” But now, even if the cat isn’t interested and I’m not shortening the ribbon, I hit the ends with a flame just the same.

Works for me.

Yeah, I flamed it this evening.

I figured I would share that I picked up a Baronius edition.

A day or two after posting this question, a friend showed up with his Baronius and I got to “test drive” it. Sweet. I was impressed with the print quality, the construction and the leather.

Mine arrived yesterday.

My only criticism is the packaging. I’m surprised such a nice, quality bible is thrown in a sleeve and shrink-wrapped and not in a nice box. Not only would tat make it more presentable as a gift but it might provide more protection. My shipper delivered a beat up box, I was glad the bible inside was not damaged!

Peace.

In case anyone is interested…

One more criticism, after two days of reading.

I found a typo already. I haven’t started checking for typos others pointed out a few years ago, to see if those were corrected but I found one where I happened to be reading through.

Still a nice bible but hey, if there are others, I almost wish I had gone for the Loreto. :blush:

closed #9

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.