Douay-Rheims Research

Hello,

A few years ago, I began reading a lot (too much) about bibles and bible translation. I am fascinated by the history and methods of translation. I am aware of many great books about modern translation methods and some good books about particular bibles, such as the KJV, NKJV and ESV.

However, I have not found any books ABOUT the Douay-Rheims translation. The closest I know of is Where We Got the Bible by Henry Graham, which was excellent but very short!

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Have blessed week, all.

I got a copy of a small book called “A Short Historical and critical analysis of the Douay Rheims translation of the Holy Scriptures” by Hugh Pope that was pretty good. It came with an order I placed with churchlatin.com for a xerox set of the 1582/1635 Douay Rheims bible. They may be able the help with the book by Pope.

Also, you could ask one of the posters here John Litteral who is COPLAND3 I think (something like that). He is knowledgeable and has done extensive work with the DR and may be able to help you.

Thank you so much!

I found the Pope work (60 or 70 pages?) in digital form for iBooks. It is outstanding and exactly what I was looking for. I will try to find it on paper as well.

Peace.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.