Douay Rhems, Ignatious, New American

I use an Ignatius, but I know a lot of folks that much prefer the New American & others that say the Douay Rheims just can’t be topped for adherence to accuracy. Can any members with experience with 2 or all 3 give me their opinions on this?

I do not read Latin or Greek well enough to go outside of English :slight_smile: so I must stick with these.

My first real Bible is the one I use now. It is a NABRE from fireside. It’s extremely clear because of all the modern terminology. I do like traditional language better, though. Mine is great because it has other stuff aside from the Bible like Maps, a Prayer for Vocations, quite a comprehensive dictionary/encyclopedia, a schedule for reading, and some other stuff like a Dogmatic Constitution on Divine Revelation, some References about Catholic Doctrine, and a list of the Popes (and even has a Large photo of Pope Francis on like the third page, not sure how I feel about that one yet).

It’s a great bible! Under $20 for a Hardcover with expedited shipping. I REALLY love it. It’s pefect.

I think you’ll find that much of this is purely a matter of preference. All three translations have their own strengths and weaknesses. I personally prefer the NAB-RE and frequently cross-reference it with the Ignatius (RSV-CE 2nd edition). The Ignatius Bible is actually a Catholic revision of the KJV according to the introduction. I like the NAB-RE because it is a fresh translation done by numerous Catholic scholars. Both of those translations are excellent because they relied on the original Greek and Hebrew texts.

I’m personally not a fan of the DR translation because it is a translation from the Latin Vulgate with reference to the Greek and Hebrew texts. Essentially that means it is a translation of a translation.

The New Jerusalem is one that is very popular as well. And, although not a Catholic translation, I very much enjoy George Lamsa’s translation of the Scriptures from the Syriac Peshitta. Murdock’s translation from the Syriac Peshitto is also very elegant.

Bird’s-eye-view, no one translation of the three you mentioned is really better than the other. What’s important is that you simply choose one that suits you, and read/pray it!

As a PhD candidate in theology, I read Latin, Greek, and Hebrew, and I greatly prefer the Douay-Rheims for accuracy and beauty.

The Revised Standard Version, Catholic Edition, to my knowledge, is the best and most accurate English translation out there.

Holy frijoles! Are you serious!? I will have to read the intro carefully. Thanks for the heads up. The King James is not fit to read.

Thanks for the insight.

There is a very insightful article regarding the Vulgate, and hence the D/R translation included in the Haydock-Oakeley Bible which was issued in 1878 until 1910 in London by Virtue & Co. Here is a link to the article “The Latin Vulgate as the Authentic Version of the Church.”

The correct page is 53, or scroll down a little and click on the title of the article in the table of contents. It is MOST edifying with respect to today’s worship of the historical-critical methods, since the article was written at a time when great progress was being made in that field.

Unfortunately, T. G. Law, left the London Oratory, and the Catholic Church for that matter soon after the appearance of this article in the Haydock-Oakeley Bible. It does not detract from the matter however, and the article (or small treatise) is worthy of modern eyes. :slight_smile:

That is NOT a bad thing.

The RSV is indeed a revision of the American Standard Version of 1901, which in turn is the American edition of the Revised Version of the King James.

The RSV was adapted for Catholic use, hence, the RSV Catholic Edition, which is what Ignatius Press publishes. It uses better scholarship (at the time, 1940s-1966) than the King James. It is fully approved and suitable for Catholic use, and is my preferred version. The Second Catholic Edition of the RSV has full approval for liturgical use as well in the Ordinariates, because of its close relationship with the King James. The King James could never be approved for liturgical use, but the RSV can, and has been.

Between the three options, I would choose the RSV first, then the 2011 NAB then the DR last.

As for the King James not being fit to read, it may not be an approved Catholic Edition, but like it or not, the King James has its exalted place in English literary history, and is hard to beat in terms of sheer beauty and memorability.

I have used all 2 of 3 of them; DOUAY is tops: COULD NOT find the Ignatius on-line

READ for example Acts 20:28

Douay-Rhiems
Acts 20:28

28 Take heed to yourselves and to the whole flock, wherein the Holy Ghost hath placed you bishops, to rule the Church of God which he hath purchased with his own blood.

New American
Acts 20:28

28 "Be on guard for yourselves and for all the flock, among which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers, to shepherd the church of God which He purchased with His own blood.

Douay
Luke 1: 28
" [28] And the angel being come in, said unto her: Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with thee: blessed art thou among women.

New American
Luke 1:28

28 And coming in, he said to her, “Greetings, **favored one! **The Lord is with you.”

Blessings,

Patrick

episkopous. epi = over, above; skopeo = see; view; direct attention to, take aim at/ skopos=goal,target. Overseer.

Douay
Luke 1: 28
" [28] And the angel being come in, said unto her: Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with thee: blessed art thou among women.

New American
Luke 1:28

28 And coming in, he said to her, “Greetings, **favored one! **The Lord is with you.”

Blessings,

Patrick

kecharitomene: charitoo = grace, favour; participle, perfect, passive vocative. “Favoured one” or “full of grace” are both acceptable and imprecise.

I think it very much comes down to personal preference. Each translation is different, and each has positives and negatives. Personally, I tend to rotate through different translations depending on how I’m feeling. Sometimes the RSV “clicks” for me, so I’ll read that for a while. maybe a few weeks or a few months, the switch to the DR, NABRE, or New Jerusalem. Those are the 4 I personally tend to rotate through, but it’s all just personal preference. If I’m really into a particular passage, I’ll usually read it in different translations, because each one will give me a slightly different perspective, which I find beneficial.

The title of this thread…

Douay Rhems, Ignatius, New American

…should read "Douay Rheims, RSV-CE, New American.

Douay Rheims and New American Bible are translations of the Bible. Ignatius is a for-profit company. Ignatius is not a translation of the Bible.

There are many fine publishers of RSV and RSV-CE Bibles. Ignatius is just one of them.

-Tim-

I’ll check into the RSV suggestion, thanks, but Porthos, ole buddy, I don’t really care a hoot about the King James’ place in English lit. It is not fit to be used at Mass so I have no use for it.

While I appreciate your insight, I will not use a heretical translation. If it is not Catholic there is something less than good about it.

But again - thanks for the RSV suggestion. I will look into it.

You know what? I never thought about that angle. That’s a good idea :thumbsup:

I appreciate the feedback. Thank you very much.

By the way, good luck on your conversion. I converted at about age 20. This is the One True Church founded by Jesus Christ himself. All others fall short in one area or another.

But somehow I think you already knew that :wink:

Ignatius is awesome.

Jerusalem very good.

Douay-Rheims awesome when I am in the mood for thees and thous.:smiley:

New American is very, very,very,very,very,very,very “dry”. Not my cup of tea.

I wish people would stop talking about the “Ignatius Bible.”

Ignatius isn’t a version or translation of the Bible. Ignatius is a publishing company and so there really isn’t such a things as an “Ignatius Bible” as there is the NAB or Douay Rheims.

-Tim-

Luigi, As I have said to others, your opinion & insight is most appreciated. I do thank you.

Just to throw another wrench in the works of your decision-making. The NAB-RE New Testament is what we hear read at Mass in the U.S… This holds true even for many Eastern Catholics (although I believe some Eastern Catholics hear the RSV-CE 2nd Edition at Liturgy). I believe in some other English-speaking countries, an edition of the New Jerusalem Bible is read. The Douey is not normally read liturgically. So if you’re looking for something that has a direct connection to the readings as heard at Mass, I’d go with either the NAB-RE or the New Jerusalem.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.