Double Absolution?

Pax Vobiscum,

Last time I went to Confession, a strange thing happened.
I confessed as usual, got some spiritual advice and then I received the short Absolution

( I Absolve you from your sins , in the Name of the Father and of The Son and of The Holy Spirit, Amen.)

however my Confessor, remembering that I was one of his more traditionally minded penitants, then aksed me if I prefered the full absolution, I replied that I did and he then gave me the full absolution

(God, the Father of mercies, through the death and resurrection of his Son has reconciled the world to himself and sent the Holy Spirit among us for the forgiveness of sins; through the ministry of the Church may God give you pardon and peace, and I absolve you from your sins in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.")

I thought that seemed rather irregular, but here is my question, did this affect licetness or validity?

Thank you in advance!

I’m sure it doesn’t. You got double the sacrament! :wink: Only kidding, I wouldn’t worry about it.

There is one prayer that the priest should be using to absolve. There is no “short form” or “long form.” Just one form. It is the latter you posted above.

From the Introduction to the Rite of Penance (The Rites of the Catholic Church, the successor to the Roman Ritual):
SHORTER RITE

1. When pastoral need dictates, the priest may omit or shorten some parts of the rite but must always retain in their entirety the penitent’s confession of sins and acceptance of the act of penance, the invitation to contrition (no. 44), and the formularies of absolution and dismissal. In imminent danger of death, it is sufficient for the priest to say the essential words of the form of absolution, namely: I ABSOLVE YOU FROM YOUR SINS IN THE NAME OF THE FATHER, AND OF THE SON, AND OF THE HOLY SPIRIT.
    You weren’t about to die, so there does not appear to have been legitimate reason for the priest to shorten the declaration of absolution to the “essential words” either on this occasion or on a regular basis.

Valid but illicit.

I concur. Absolution ordinarily requires an actual confession of sins (exception being general absolution), and since he gave absolution already for your sins, the second, longer prayer was a valid absolution, but certainly not necessary, and not licit.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.