Double mindedness, prayers to combat it?

I knew in my days away from the NAM but still away from Catholicism, still thinking a lot of junk I assumed was Catholic wasn’t, I knew I had a problem with double mindedness. Or so people would tell me. Maybe it’s me assuming what I should do but then knowing deep down what I ought to be doing?

I do keep asking for God’s will in my life and not mine. So often I do want to run from certain situations. It can be anything. The last major one was what eventually led me back to Catholicism. I still have such a long way to go it seems.

Are there prayers specifically dealing with double mindedness or saints?

An example, I’m used to ‘all or nothing’ thinking, that’s something else I need to work on. instead of giving up, let’s say all sweets except 1 cookie a day I’ll say, no, got to give up all forever. That’s the best example. So I say that and do cut down but end up still having 1 cookie. Would that be double minded? Trying to make sure I have the definition correct!

Thank you & God bless

I think Fr. Corapi answered my question & I knew this already… say yes when you mean yes and no when you mean no… otherwise, yeah, you can sound double minded. So instead of all or nothing thinking I need to be more specific as to what I want to cut out… lets say I should say I’m cutting down to 1 cookie a day (usually don’t have sweets in this house, just an example) and do it.

Sounds good keep it up and Godbless, I will keep you in my prayers.

I know it’s old childhood defense mechanisms, does it show I used to be a psych major? :slight_smile: Any saint to pray to or prayers or novenas for me to say would be appreciated. :slight_smile:

I tried to be a blessing, I thought, and I still seem perceived the wrong way but that’s the stuff I need to let go. Cast my cares on the Lord and let them go.

Thank you & God bless

closed #5

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.