Doubts entering my mind

I’ve been getting closer to Jesus lately by listening to mother angelica youtube videos, being interested in buy catholic books, praying more, going to confession, and of course obeying His word. But, there are these random moments where there’s a doubt. I don’t get them often and I know deep down I believe my faith, but I don’t know why I get these. For example, just recently I searched Mother Angelica videos on youtube, and one of the videos with Mother Angelica that I clicked on wasn’t her live classics show, but anyway I scrolled down to see people’s comments and I knew I didn’t want to read them anyway because people post nasty comments sometimes. And, one person had wrote something about her wasting her time --she was doing a lot of good in this world (it was someone holy, not Mother Angelica … I forgot who it was). I didn’t read anything further after that.

I don’t know why but that comment stuck in my head later on , and I’m upset about it because I want it to go away so that I don’t get any doubts in my mind. And it just seems like my prayers aren’t being heard even though I know they are heard. I’m jut begging sometimes for a sign or a clear answer from God on some things. What are some prayers I can pray to help with any doubts??

It’s probably the devil trying to mess with you. Remember if there is no consent there is no sin. Just turn your mind elsewhere when you receive these thoughts

The Rosary is a powerful weapon and a strong shield against the darts of the evil one and his underlings. They absolutely hate it, and most all the saints have had a strong predilection for it.

Padre Pio use to say, “bring me my weapon.”

(He meant his “rosary”)

And then there is always the stand by:

O my God, I firmly believe that you are one God in three divine persons, Father, Son and Holy Spirit. I believe that your divine Son became man and died for our sins, and that he will come to judge the living and the dead. I believe these and all the truths which the holy catholic Church teaches, because in revealing them you can neither deceive nor be deceived.

Ephesians 6:10 Finally, draw your strength from the Lord and from his mighty power.
11 Put on the armor of God so that you may be able to stand firm against the tactics of the devil.12 For our struggle is not with flesh and blood but with the principalities, with the powers, with the world rulers of this present darkness, with the evil spirits in the heavens.
13 Therefore, put on the armor of God, that you may be able to resist on the evil day and, having done everything, to hold your ground.14 So stand fast with your loins girded in truth, clothed with righteousness as a breastplate 15 and your feet shod in readiness for the gospel of peace.16 In all circumstances, hold faith as a shield, to quench all [the] flaming arrows of the evil one. 17 And take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.18 With all prayer and supplication, pray at every opportunity in the Spirit. To that end, be watchful with all perseverance and supplication for all the holy ones
;

Peace

Ignore it …like a barking dog. One does not stop to argue with a barking dog does one?

Do not try to hard not to have it - just do not consent (dismiss it) and turn to some good thing.

("trying real hard not to have it can make it stay more un intentionally…just ignore it).

Praying to the Holy Spirit to give you guidance, direction, strength, fortitude & wisdom in your time of need.

Thank you everyone! Nothing is changing me besides the fact that comment enters my mind and then I’ll think about it for a second - not a long time bc Im trying to ignore it and that would make it worse by thinking about it. I think rosary would be helpful.

Judgmental comments like the one you read are unfair and probably biased. How can the person who posted that remark possibly know how much good Mother Angelica, or anyone else for that matter, is doing? Hundreds of people if not thousands have been helped by her ministry, which has gone on, bringing solid, authentic Catholic teaching to millions who would otherwise not have had it.

Prayer is ALWAYS effective. If you can do nothing else besides pray God knows that. All we do, whether great or small, for love of God is effective. We may not feel anything or see visible results, but God is working through our prayers and those of others bringing love, peace, joy, assurance and stability to millions around the world. Don’t let some off-hand unkind, unfair comment bother you. God is still God no matter how many naysayers might try to belittle the great good the people of God are doing in the world.

(to re post an older post of mine)

All sorts of thoughts can happen to us out of the blue…

The fact that a though happened to one- does not mean per se there was any sin.

And for mortal sin one needs grave matter, full knowledge and deliberate (complete) consent…

Now…

For the next few moments --try real hard NOT to think of an Apple.

then scroll down.

What did you think of?

An apple.

Even though your will was against it -you did not want to think of an apple.

Now back to unwanted thoughts…

The best thing to do with such thoughts is not to fight them directly --not fear that they will come—simply do not consent and simply and calmly turn to something else…(or it may be best to keep doing the good thing one is doing…like they come out of the blue when your at work …keep working…keep praying …etc)

(one can gently - conversi ad Dominum - turn towards the Lord -perhaps with a look of love or a short prayer which is a very ancient practice - pm me if you if you need more).

Ignore such unwanted thoughts like one would ignore a hissing goose or a barking dog. One does not stop to argue with a hissing goose or a barking dog does one? No one keeps on walking…

(as noted above the image there comes from a Carthusian Monk from centuries ago…)

The problem is not just that it bothered me, but more because when I think of the comment I wonder and then have doubts of my faith … It happens for less than a minute but it does enter my mind more than once (probably because I jut recently read it). I guess I can even look at this as a positive and pray more so that my mind gets filled more with God.

We all have some things we read or hear or see that can make us doubt. After all we believe by faith not by absolute proof–as if there could be any such proof without Jesus coming in glory. In this life we can have no such assurances from our senses, and doubts will enter our heads, especially when tempted, when we experience something bad, when something doesn’t make sense or plays on our selfish desire to have our own way, etc. There are a million doubts but only one answer–Christ himself. If you weren’t being tempted to doubt that’d be when I’d worry. The devil wants you to get obsessed over such things to keep your mind and heart from seeking God. So, put such thoughts aside, as you have been doing, and soldier on. :slight_smile:

Thank you so much! That made me feel much better and I went to mass today and it made me realize how empty I would be without God. It was a stupid comment, and you’re right with everything you said. And thank you again. God Bless you

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.