Doubts

My beefs.:stuck_out_tongue:

Ephesians 5:23 - For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior.

Explain to me what this means. To me it sounds like God is saying that women are the minority, which to me is just wrong.

Deuteronomy 23:1 "No one who is emasculated or has his male organ cut off shall enter the assembly of the LORD.

Explain. To me this sounds like anyone who has been castrated due to an accident, sex change or a sin can’t enter heaven.

Also…

If killing Someone is a sin did god not kill everyone on the earth by making the flood and killing the sinners? No matter the reason he still killed them.

Thinking about doing a sin in your mind is still a sin no? Then when Jesus was on earth and was a “Virgin” would he not have had wet dreams which would have brought on sin in his dreams, which are undoubtedly his thoughts?

If I stole something should the whole world have to suffer for my sin? Then why when Adam an Eve sinned was the whole world punished. No matter what we were born into a unfair world due to their sins. So technically we have been punished due to our parents sins that god tricked them into.

Isn’t it a little weird how god says believe in me or you are going to hell to burn for all eternity? Isn’t god setting us up for a big sin. He knows before we are born if we are going to go to hell, so why even go through the trouble?

There a millions of miracle preformed everyday. God cures people with cancer and all sorts of illnesses, Why doesn’t he heal amputees?

People say that abortions is a sin, but didn’t god say the breath of life is when your soul goes into the body and you are actually alive. So technically having a abotion before then you aren’t actually commiting murder.

I am never going to believe in “God”. I believe in my own God.

What I mean by this is, I know right from wrong. You always know when you are doing something right and when you are doing something wrong . My God is the person who looks out for me and doesn’t tell me how to live my life. He is who I am trying to please when I do something out of the good nature of my heart. He is the one who is disappointed in me when I do something wrong. I don’t feel like I need a book to guide me in how to live my life. If I do need a book then why should I trust it? God didn’t write it himself, it could have been changed over the millions of years its been around, how can I be sure it’s actually what god wanted.

/rant

I don’t think I can answer all of your questions/concerns but let me try…

Ephesians 5:23 - For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior.

Explain to me what this means. To me it sounds like God is saying that women are the minority, which to me is just wrong.

This passage is referring to who is authoritative in a household. This in no means implies minorities or majorities. Also if you look at the passages right after this one, you will see that there is more that is required of the husband than the wife. Just because someone is in an authoritative position does not mean that it is an easy ride.

Thinking about doing a sin in your mind is still a sin no? Then when Jesus was on earth and was a “Virgin” would he not have had wet dreams which would have brought on sin in his dreams, which are undoubtedly his thoughts?

Dreams do not constitute a sin. A sin is a wrong committed with full knowledge and intent of the will. As far as Jesus having “wet dreams”, I do not know if he had them or not. I will say that todays society has a lot more impure notions blasted at it. One only has to watch prime time TV and see this. The home is not even a protection from this.

If I stole something should the whole world have to suffer for my sin? Then why when Adam an Eve sinned was the whole world punished. No matter what we were born into a unfair world due to their sins. So technically we have been punished due to our parents sins that god tricked them into.

I am not sure if you are saying that the first sin was stealing or not, because the first sin was wanting to be like God in knowing what is good and evil. In other words I get to decide what is wrong and right. As far as being unfair, this desire is transmitted to us by our mere human nature, and God could have just left us alone after that. The fallen angels (demons) had only one chance, we are given multiple chances.

Isn’t it a little weird how god says believe in me or you are going to hell to burn for all eternity? Isn’t god setting us up for a big sin. He knows before we are born if we are going to go to hell, so why even go through the trouble?

God only wants to give us what we want for eternity, if it is not Him then he will not make someone stay with him.

People say that abortions is a sin, but didn’t god say the breath of life is when your soul goes into the body and you are actually alive. So technically having a abotion before then you aren’t actually commiting murder.

Life begins at conception, science tells us this. The conditions for life are there from the beginning. That single cell immediately starts to grow, it is sustained by nutrients when it is embedded in the uterine wall. So if life begins at conception, then killing that life is wrong.

I don’t feel like I need a book to guide me in how to live my life. If I do need a book then why should I trust it?

God established a Church to help us and guide us to Him. That same Church was guided by God to compile a list of writings as a tool to know Him better.

I am never going to believe in “God”. I believe in my own God

Sounds like your god is you.

I know right from wrong

Based on what?

You always know when you are doing something right and when you are doing something wrong

Where did this knowledge come from?

My God is the person who looks out for me and doesn’t tell me how to live my life.

Why is your god so uncaring that he won’t help you?

He is the one who is disappointed in me when I do something wrong.

How can he be dissapointed in you if he doesn’t care how you live?

If I do need a book then why should I trust it? God didn’t write it himself, it could have been changed over the millions of years its been around, how can I be sure it’s actually what god wanted.

Lets start with the Bible not being “millions of years old”. Would you like to learn more about the Scriptures?

Thanks,
Tim

Then arent you saying that God has authority over Jesus. If you are saying that the passage means that the husband is not superior to his wife, but has authority over her, don’t you need to apply that to the verse below?

1 Corinthians 11:3
Now I want you to realize that the head of every man is Christ, and the head of the woman is man, and the head of Christ is God.

www.biblegateway.com

I don’t know how you are getting this out of what I said. I am in no way superior to my wife. She completes in me and I complete in her what is lacking in each other to raise a family and prepare our children for the world. This is the way God has made us. My authority in the family comes from God, and it is a huge responsibility. I can only hope with the help of His grace to carry out this responsibility.

I see that you are a Catholic, as I am as well, so we both agree that Jesus is God, the second person of the Blessed Trinity. But Jesus did submit to the will of God the Father, second person of the Blessed Trinity. Just look at the garden of Gethsemane where He sweated blood and said:

Matthew 26:39
And going a little farther he fell on his face and prayed, “My Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as thou wilt.”

You said this

This passage is referring to who is authoritative in a household.

It doesn’t really matter in what form it is referring to. Okay so just in the house hold is a women a minority. Why does the man have to be the head of the household? Why can’t the women? He says it in a manner that a women can’t be the head of the household. Then as you say he goes onto saying there is more to be done. Who care can a women not do that? Women are equal to Men in every aspect no matter what. I don’t care who but if anyone says different they are wrong.

I wasn’t referring to the first sin being stealing. I was making the point that because I do one sin should the whole world have to pay for it? God kicked Adam and Eve out of the garden. Then a son was born. ( Technically Incest since Eve came from Adam? Is that not a sin?) So that baby was Pure and Good, no sins what so ever. Why was he not aloud to go to the garden? Why did God let the baby who was pure be tainted by sinner parents?

I also don’t understand the church. Why do catholics need to confess their sins to a Priest? Are we not holy enough to pray to god ourself and ask for forgiveness? Also why is it that a Priest can’t marry a women?

Maybe my god is me. I know what right from wrong is. I believe we are born with the sense that we know right from wrong. If I grew up without any guidance I believe I would still know killing is wrong. I know when I do something wrong I get a feeling inside me that says that is wrong. I also get a feeling inside me that tells me when I am doing something right.

Why is god so uncaring that he won’t help me is such a contradiction to the God you believe in. In turn I say why is God so uncaring that he would make all the wrong in the world and not make us the paradise we once had?

I also never really said my God doesn’t care I simply say he doesn’t tell me how to live my life. If I want to live it bad and wrong he doesn’t stop me, but he is disappointed in me. Isn’t that exactly what your God does?

I know the bible wasn’t around for millions of years I was just saying it to put more emphasis on how long it has been around. I am obviously trying to learn more about the scriptures due to me posting right…?

Also it sounds like you are judging my beliefs and trying to pick it apart. Should a Catholic follower really be trying to convert me in such a manner?

I am still wondering about the War and Murdering part. I also still want answers on the Amputee parts.

It seems we are asked to start at the end, how about starting at the beginning?

Rather than me guess your thoughts how about you write what you want, rather than issues with the Church, which your claims appear to make meaningless to you. We can answer every question you have posted however I feel sure that will not help you.

I also don’t understand the church. Why do catholics need to confess their sins to a Priest? Are we not holy enough to pray to god ourself and ask for forgiveness? Also why is it that a Priest can’t marry a women?

Prehaps you would understand the Church if you will learn about it.
We confess our sins to a Priest because that is what Jesus wanted us to do. Jesus told the Apostles (the first priests) “Receive the Holy Spirit, if you forgive men’s sins they are forgiven them, if you hold them bond, they are held bond”. They of course could not know what sins to forgive or not unless they were told by the penitent.

Priests are not allowed to marry for several reasons. The priest represents Christ, and Jesus never married. He also promised great rewards to those who have “given up home, brothers or sisters, father or mother, wife or children or property for my sake”. Matthew 19:29. It is a requirement which a priest freely accepts to devote his life to God.

If you quote the entire passage you’d notice it also says Husbands are to treat their wives as Christ does the Church. How does Christ treat His Church? He is the Shepard of the flock, guiding Her to the path of righteousness. He gave His life for Her. Loves Her, cherishes Her. So that being said, every Husband is required to do this with his wife. The wives are submitting to the goodness that comes about from this. They are not submitting to the unholy things that come from their Husbands who do not treat her as Christ does the Church.

Both parties have to be insync with one another for this to work for obvious reasons.

Drisco/Rick,

Catholic priests are in fact allowed to marry. In the Eastern rites of the Catholic Church this is permitted.
In the Latin rite however this is a discipline that is required. If the priests want to be married they can join the other rites.
Also there are some married priests in the Latin rite that have come from Lutheran, Anglican, Orthodox or Catholic Eastern rite churches where they were already married.

Peace,
Rob

I very much doubt you can answer any of the questions I have posted. This is the problem I have with the whole religion. I can’t follow something that I feel has so many flaws. I guess I am going to hell to burn in eternity for ever.

The price to be paid for not believing sounds so harsh no? I think it is more of a ploy and scare tactic into believing the religion. Pray for me please. We all know how much it does.

This just reinforces my dislike for the religion. So now men need to guide women? Make sure they don’t go off the path of righteousness? So the Husband is required to do all these things? Why is it not the job of the women to do this for the men? Just admit it that the bible does not believe men are equal to women.

Why would god ask someone to give up all these things that make us happy? He has the power of omniscience to know if we would or not so why make someone give all that happiness up?

A priest has serious obligations to God and to his community on earth. A married man has serious obligations to his family. It’s exceedingly difficult (though not impossible) for someone to fulfill both sets of obligations at the same time. By remaining celibate, priests remain able to focus completely on the Lord. Jesus says as much in Chapter 19 of the Gospel of Matthew, and St. Paul confirms it in his first letter to the Corinthians. God asks us to accept this if we can because of the joy it can bring us:

He has the power of omniscience to know if we would or not so why make someone give all that happiness up?

Catholics believe that the Holy Spirit is responsible for helping to guide the right people to the right vocations. For some people, what’s lost in martial happiness is made up for by service to and focus on God. Jesus also suggests this in Matthew – being celibate for God’s sake is difficult to accept, and it’s a burden that should be taken only by “those to whom it is given,” but those people will find joy in their vocations.

What is happiness to you may be different to happiness to someone else. You are thinking in worldly terms.
God gives us free will and does not ask us to do anything we dont want to do. Simple. People decide with their free will to give up worldy desires/good to serve God, and this makes them happy.
Being obediant to God gives us peace and makes us Happy.

Peace,
Rob

Men and women are different. They are biologically geared differently and as others have said, this passage has to be nuanced by the rest of the chapter. It does not mean domination of the man over the woman.

Deuteronomy 23:1 "No one who is emasculated or has his male organ cut off shall enter the assembly of the LORD.

Explain. To me this sounds like anyone who has been castrated due to an accident, sex change or a sin can’t enter heaven.

This is a rule under the old covenant. It no longer applies under the new covenant.

Also…

If killing Someone is a sin did god not kill everyone on the earth by making the flood and killing the sinners? No matter the reason he still killed them.

If anyone lives, it is because of the will of God. If anyone dies, it is because God either allowed it to happen of willed it.

As for the account of the flood, you should really look into it’s meaning. To do that you need to understand what genre of writing it was, what was the purpose of the writer in writing it, what the symbolism of water meant to the people. There is more to it that what you’ve stated. As Catholics, we don’t approach these texts as Fundamentalists.

You can’t accidentally sin. You have to willfully do a sinful action to be culpable for that action. If you are dreaming, you have no control over your will because you are unconscious.

Again, you are approaching the text of Genesis as a Fundamentalist. Here is a quote from the Catholic Catechism

“The account of the fall in Genesis 3 uses figurative LANGUAGE, but affirms a primeval event, a deed that took place at the beginning of the history of man. Revelation gives us the certainty of faith that the whole of human history is marked by the original fault freely committed by our first parents.”

You should read the entire passage to get a fuller understanding.

This is a deep question that involves lots of philosophical and theological debate. There is no easy answer to this question. By the way, God wants much more than mere belief. He wants our love. There is no way to truly love without providing the freedom to choose not to. That is why we were created with freedom, and therefore with the capacity to reject God. The essense of Hell is the rejection of God.

There a millions of miracle preformed everyday. God cures people with cancer and all sorts of illnesses, Why doesn’t he heal amputees?

Good question.

I’m not familiar with this idea. I don’t think you’ll find it in the Bible. The issue at stake is whether the fetus is a human being. I believe that it is, having two of them myself.

What I mean by this is, I know right from wrong. You always know when you are doing something right and when you are doing something wrong .

The Catholic Church believes that the innate knowledge of good and evil is present in everyone, and has been inscribed in us by God.

“Deep within his conscience man discovers a law which he has not laid upon himself but which he must obey. Its voice, ever calling him to love and to do what is good and to avoid evil, sounds in his heart at the right moment. . . . For man has in his heart a law inscribed by God. . . . His conscience is man’s most secret core and his sanctuary. There he is alone with God whose voice echoes in his depths.”

My God is the person who looks out for me and doesn’t tell me how to live my life. He is who I am trying to please when I do something out of the good nature of my heart. He is the one who is disappointed in me when I do something wrong.

Yes, but if there is a God, and there is true good and evil, doesn’t God have a responsibility to communicate that truth to us? Just like your father would have a responsibility to teach you right from wrong?

I don’t feel like I need a book to guide me in how to live my life. If I do need a book then why should I trust it? God didn’t write it himself, it could have been changed over the millions of years its been around, how can I be sure it’s actually what god wanted.

/rant

You should read the Bible and judge for yourself. At the same time, you should read the Catechism to get to know what the Catholic Church teaches.

God bless, and thank for sharing your thoughts. I’ve been where you are. :slight_smile:

Ut

You’re not talking to a protestant here but The Church confirms as the Bible confirms we are to guide one another as Christians in faith.

I am telling you how the man is supposed to treat his wife. You are looking into that passage far too much and seeing things alot differently than I do anyways. No it doesn’t mean to guide Her only and she can’t him but if he is a good husband he will do just that. Do you also think that the man isn’t to remain faithful as a woman should do just because it doesn’t say that about the husband? Just look as the verse not far above that. It says to be subject to one another.

I tell you what. Find me one passage in the Catachism where the Church tells us to dominate our wives and for them to listen to us only in keeping them on the path to righteousness and you can make your dislike for OUR religion. Good Catholic men do NOT do that so your agruments are with a protestant and not Catholics.

Okay so just in the house hold is a women a minority.
Why does the man have to be the head of the household? Why can’t the women? He says it in a manner that a women can’t be the head of the household. Then as you say he goes onto saying there is more to be done. Who care can a women not do that? Women are equal to Men in every aspect no matter what. I don’t care who but if anyone says different they are wrong.

Let me clarify one point first. Being in a position of authority is different than being in a position of a majority (in the sense, that I take, it being superior to someone.) Look at my previous post to MH84. Men and women are the same in diginty, different in every other respect. Men are physically stronger then women. Women can handle emotional strains better than men. I don’t think a man could handle the pain and emotions that a woman goes through when giving birth. Men zero in on a problem to solve it, women can handle multiple problems at a time. I am speaking generally here. These differences are naturally within us, making one better equipped than the other to do our given tasks. Men and women complete one another to give greater accomplishments. Why we are this way I don’t know if I can tell you; God made us this way, you don’t seem to belive in God in that snese. It is in fact the 60’s mentality that “I can be anything I want to be” that is wrong.

I wasn’t referring to the first sin being stealing. I was making the point that because I do one sin should the whole world have to pay for it? God kicked Adam and Eve out of the garden. Then a son was born. ( Technically Incest since Eve came from Adam? Is that not a sin?) So that baby was Pure and Good, no sins what so ever. Why was he not aloud to go to the garden? Why did God let the baby who was pure be tainted by sinner parents?

In a certain respect when you do sin someone will feel the pain of that sin. Lets say someone stole $500 in cash from you. You most probably not get that money back. You feel some sort of pain because that money is now gone. Because of that first sin human nature is now tainted, but God has not given up on us. He allows each person to come back to him.

I don’t know if I can convey in words the grace and feeling you get when walking out of a confessional. It is so wonderful to just hear, “I absolve you of your sins, in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.” It is so powerful. I don’t know if you are holy enough to pray for forgiveness, I am not. It is our sexually emersed culture that can not fathom the fact that someone can not marry a woman. It then turns around and mocks people who are married.

As far as your question about amputees look at this

No is correct

I think it is more of a ploy and scare tactic into believing the religion. Pray for me please. We all know how much it does.

minority =no "Be subordinate to one another out of reverence for Christ…Ephesians 5:21 the call to be humble is the issue.

It is referring to desecrating the body

Also…

Are these people in Heaven? maybe he took them home as children who did not mind? Killing the innocent is immoral (murder) killing in self defense is not, so it is not simply killing which is the issue. Exactly why God killed these human is not known except that we understand it to have been an opportunity for a fresh start, allowing a sinless society.

Thinking about doing a sin in your mind is still a sin no?

no is correct

Then when Jesus was on earth and was a “Virgin” would he not have had wet dreams which would have brought on sin in his dreams, which are undoubtedly his thoughts?

I have no reason to believe that

If I stole something should the whole world have to suffer for my sin? Then why when Adam an Eve sinned was the whole world punished.

we may or may not have been punished, we were endowed with knowledge

No matter what we were born into a unfair world due to their sins. So technically we have been punished due to our parents sins that god tricked them into.

No, we inherit endowed knowledge which lets us sin easily, also God did not trick Eve a fallen Angel did.

What trouble? If you choose to not believe you are left alone to live your life. He knows your future because he is not bound by time. So your birth, choices, death are all visible to him. Yet it is your choices not his

Because he made them that way. Their soul is not defective that is the important part. They are perfect in soul is your answer

God gave Adam the breath of life. We do not believe that applies to me and you. We came through human reproduction. We error to the safe side believing life may begin at conception so we protect life from that point

What I mean by this is, I know right from wrong. You always know when you are doing something right and when you are doing something wrong .

That is Natural Moral Law

My God is the person who looks out for me and doesn’t tell me how to live my life.

That seems to contradict the last statement

He is who I am trying to please when I do something out of the good nature of my heart. He is the one who is disappointed in me when I do something wrong. I don’t feel like I need a book to guide me in how to live my life. If I do need a book then why should I trust it? God didn’t write it himself, it could have been changed over the millions of years its been around, how can I be sure it’s actually what god wanted.

/rant

You cannot be sure thus it is faith

Now you have answers yet I believe you did not ask the real questions

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.