Down in the dumps- Scripture verses to help

I need to start reading Scripture, and this seems a good way to start. I’m down in the dumps, near hopeless, and my struggles with Sola Fide are for some reason not letting me devote my whole self to God.

Are there any verses dealing with this. Please just list the verse citation, I need to open my Douay to do more than flip around.

bible.com/bible/42/php.4.4-9.cpdv

4 Rejoice in the Lord always. Again, I say, rejoice. 5 Let your modesty be known to all men. The Lord is near. 6 Be anxious about nothing. But in all things, with …

Also, something I love to think about is the first book of genesis and the first book of John in the new testament and how they relate to each other. It’s bigger than myself and gets me out of myself and is so awesome to me…

the first words of God, “Let there be light”… and “in the beginning was the word and the word was WITH God and the word WAS God…” WOW! That’s how close the three persons are to each other and how they can still be one… The Father, The Son and the Holy Spirit.

Matthew 11:28
Psalm 121(actually any of the Psalms 120-134 but I’m not sure how much you want to read).

Hi!

Here’s my advise:

Read Scriptures daily–even if it’s just a few verses at a time; I suggest that you begin a personal Bible study… something quite simple as reading 1 passage from the Old Testament and 1 from the New Testament.

I’ve done this, which has assisted me in reading through the whole Bible:

• Start with the 1st chapter of Genesis
  • Psalm 1
  • 1st chapter of Matthew

…as you follow this simple daily study, you will read through the Bible in no time.

…if you follow this study guide, you will note that Scriptures start to come together as the Old Testament Scriptures are mirror by the Psalms and the New Testament reflect the fulfillment of the prophecies in the Old Testament and the Psalms… at times you will find that the Writing is fresher in your mind as you will come across the same themes in the daily reading (since the Psalms are only 150, you will have to restart them once you get to the last in order to maintain the rhythm: Old Testament, Psalm, New Testament–there are some Psalms that are quite long, like 119, so you can break them down to multiple readings.)

Don’t be afraid to post your questions (preferably individual topics) as your struggle continues and as you come across issues with your Bible study.

I know this post is kind of late but here’s what happened: I awoke in the middle of the night with this: 1 Corinthians 12:12; I wrote it down and then decided to check one of my Bibles… here’s what it says:

12 For as the body is one, and hath many members; and all the members of the body, whereas they are many, yet are one body, so also is Christ.

…not sure of why this popped into my mind, I thought :hmmm: maybe I must pass this along to that poster that needs Scriptures…

…I will be willing to help with your quest to study Scriptures… you can send me a list of issues/questions on the PM and I can drop Scriptures for you…

Since I do not know exactly what you’re dealing with, let me start by breaking down 1 Co 12:12:

St. Paul is addressing the Believers and is letting them know that as the body has different parts but they all function together for the good of the body, so is Christ and the Church, Christ’s Mystical Body: various members that must work together within their respective functions for the Good of the Body.

Though you may be beginning your trek with Jesus, you are still important to the Body of Christ; so know that the Holy Spirit is there to assist you and Guide you.

Maran atha!

Angel

I prefer Matthew where Jesus helps the people.

But I would also supplement with spiritual reading.

Mere Christianity, The Imitation of Christ, The Diaries of Saint Faustina, anything by Mother Angelica, or Miracles Do Happen (the last one is by Sister Breige McKenna).

Also, go to Youtube and look up any presentation by Sister Miriam James.

Let’s see…verses that help me get back on balance when I feel down…

Ecclesiastes is one of my favorite books because its the musings of Solomon, the wisest man in history and his own insights into life.

Isaiah 6: 1-8 always inspires me to faith and the joy of God’s mercy to me.

Hebrews chapters 11 and 12 are extremely cool in that they discuss how faith pays off and what it is as well as the fact that we are never alone in our journey and that “great cloud of witnesses” always has our backs and is cheering us on in our race and interceding for us.

Being a Knight of the Immaculate I love what I believe is the most important message of Mary and the theme behind her every apparition in John 2:5, which I take as my own personal command. :slight_smile:

Don’t let Sola Fide mess with you little brother. Suffice it that you have faith and that that faith has led you to His Church where it will be fed and nourished and will grow.

Like Mary said. “Whatsoever he shall say to you, do ye.”

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.