downloading music

Am I in deep grave mortal sin because I downloaded a song from the internet? By the way i am scrupulous and I am going absolutely crazy now. Does this mean I am wont be recieving Christ in the Eucharist! I am not selling the music I am just using it for my own satisfaction. I really dont know if I am stealing or not?

Whether or not it is “stealing” per se, it is sinful. Basically we are called to obey laws that aren’t in conflict with objective good. In this case, I would say it is a law we should obey. Now, is it grave mortal sin? I’m not sure; to me it doesn’t seem that this would be grave, serious matter, but I could definitely be wrong.

Personally, I would delete the song, go to confession, and then sign up for a legitmate music service like iTunes, Rhapsody, Napster, etc. I use Rhapsody and have the To-Go plan. Basically for $15 a month I can download and listen to almost any song (I have only found a few artists whose music isn’t included: The Beatles, The Eagles, and Garth Brooks).

Go easy on yourself. If your my age you probably taped stuff off the radio to listen to later. You may have been given a tape of an LP by a friend. You may even have borrowed the LP yourself and taped the tracks you liked. We used to call it sharing :rolleyes:. Since the digital age came into being the thought of people sharing horrifies the major labels.

I have often downloaded songs off the internet. Sometimes to check an album my kids might want, sometimes for myself. I do buy the CD later though or delete the files.

There are websites such as jamendo that have music freely available. You may not get the well known stuff but there is some good quality music on the site.

If your intention was to sample the music with a view to making a future purchase, relax, chill out and listen to some soothing music.:thumbsup:

I don’t think this would be constitute a mortal sin. However, I do agree with the previous poster that you should delete the songs. Please don’t be too hard on yourself. The main thing is that you realized your mistake and are sorry.

That being said, from the sound of your post, you seem to be struggling quite a bit with your scruples. I would definitely check out the Scrupulous Anonymous website. I has helped me tremendously. Also, speak to your priest about your scrupulosity at your next confession. Hopefully, by doing this, you will feel more at peace.

Share books and you’re a librarian. Share music and you’re a pirate. What sense does that make? :shrug:

I believe its all sharing-to an extend. I know we should respect the laws, but the government dosent have the right to make something sinful. If I buy a DVD and give it to somebody, that is not stealing its sharing. Now, if people sneak inside movie theaters, record a moove and want to bootleg it, then sure that`s stealing alright.

I basically believe if you download files that companies really arnt focused on prophitting from , like older files, then I dont consider that stealing. Sure it`s against the laws but I don´t feel guilty if I make a billion dollar industry a few dollars less richer. I mean, as long as someone bought the file and is willing to share it, its all good. my opinion.

Good one.:thumbsup:

I agree,:thumbsup:

Thank you, thank you. I’ll be appearing here all week. Feel free to bring the kids to the 7 o’clock show, but the 10 o’clock gets a little blue. :wink:

That’s a good point. After all, the government also says there is nothing morally wrong with abortion and has declared it legal. I’m sure we’re obligated to follow just laws, but I have a qualm about following ones that are unjust.

Your post is misleading. When you borrow a book from a library, you take a legal copy and then return it at some point in the future. When you “share” music, you make a copy of the music and keep it - they are not equal. If you were to take a book and photocopy it, you have violated the author’s copyright just as much as when you copy music.

I find it disturbing that someone would come to these forums and encourage people to break the law.

As a side note, most libraries have (music) CD collections you can (legally) borrow from also.

I don’t think it is reasonable to equate abortion & copyright laws.

Actually, the only reason its legal to share books and not move/music/ect files is because the government said so. Nobody is encouraging nobody to break the law here, we are just stating our own opinion (free speech). I also want to note that it really dosent matter wether you keep the file or not, because nobody watches a movie more then once or twice. Nobody. As far as music goes, I believe here you need to be fair. If an artist just came out with an album, it would technichally be stealing if you download his songs for free, but if say, a year or two pass, and the musician dosent rely anymore on his record sales then it`s all good-my opinion.

Just like the Library. If a writer comes with a new book, hes expecting it to sell, I dont think the Library will offer his new book for us to loan and then return it (with no charge) but as time passes you can expect it will end up on their collection-for free.

When asked if downloading files on the internet for free is a sin, Catholcs apologists said we should have a respect for the law. I Dont think nobody directly said it was a sin but we should have respect for the law nevertheless. So he just pointed out a law that we Catholics shouldnt respect at all nor give it any consideration. I don`t think his intention was equating the two set of laws.

I think the poster who suggested going to confession and also including your tendency towards scrupulosity (sp?) is a great idea. In order for a sin to be mortal, it has to be comitted with full consent to the sin. The fact that you ask indicates that you may not have downloaded the song thinking “So what, I really want it and so I’m gonna do it anyway”. More of a “hmm, this looks good, I think I’ll download it”. So, you may want to give yourself a break, follow your normal routine in terms of receiving Christ in the Eucharist and confess the sin when you get to confession. I know, the worst part of comitting mortal sin is not getting to partake of the Eucharist :crying: And I can be scrupulous, too, so I know how you feel :rolleyes:

It IS true that musicians make their living from selling songs. If they don’t sell enough CD’s, they don’t make enough money. Or DVD’s or movies, or whatever. And they are entitled to earn a living. So, I deleted my LimeWire program and I buy individual songs from Amazon (.88 to .99 cents per song) or I just bite the bullet and pay the $20 if I have to have the whole album.

OTOH, people are allowed to share their own property. If my sister buys clothes for my nephew and then passes them on to my son, do we owe Baby Gap money? I think that the music industry is trying to have the public adhere to the letter of the law when that has not historically been the case. If my neighbor buys a coffee table and later gives it to me to use until I can afford to buy my own, do I owe the furniture manufacturer a fraction of the cost of the coffee table? We would consider these scenarios ridiculous, but if you buy a CD and share it with someone, you’re a thief? I have a problem iwth the government saying I can’t share my own property…ESPECIALLY in the situation where I bought something and want to share it.

I have to agree with jkarp. The analogy you’re using is flawed. If it were to become widespread practice to “share” books in the form of providing pdf files of the books on the internet where anyone could download the book for free and have their own copy, them I’m sure the publishing companies and authors would be just as up in arms over this as the record labels and musical artists are.

It already is a widespread practice to “share” books…in the library. The other user made a great point, if you share books youre a libraian, if you share movie/music/ect files, youre a pirtate. Also the user before you also made a good point concerning property.

So you use the word “share” so you can lie to yourself that you aren’t stealing? :tsktsk:
At a library the shared book goes out and is unavailable until it comes back. You keep your “shared” music while sending out illegal copies to your buds.
Now with the Kindle and other devices coming online I’m sure we’ll see book piracy.

If I buy a book at Barnes and Noble, then lend it to you to read, is that piracy? After all, I didn’t purchase a “lending copy” for library use. I purchased a private copy. Does that mean we’re breaking the law when we do that? What if you in turn lend it to a friend of yours, who lends it to a friend of his. That is perfectly legal. But if the copy is digital rather printed, it’s suddenly theft and piracy? That offends all common sense.

Why, oh why do people have such an issue with obeying the law? To adress those who are using the flawed “loaning books” comparison. If you are sharing music in a way that you always have a copy, and your friend always has a copy is not simply the same as loaning a book. You are scanning that book, so that your friend has a permanent digital copy, which is clearly in violation of copyright laws. To say that the “government doesn’t have the right to mkae something sinful” shows a misunderstanding of the sin. While sharing music is not an act that in and of itself is sinful, it is illegal. Breaking the law is sinful. It is a form of rebellion against legitimite authority. The governmnet did not make rebellion sinful. To say we don’t have to obey the laws we don’t want to obey shows a lack of understanding of doctrine that can be found in bothe the Scriptures and Tradition.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.