Downloading Music

Is it a sin to download free music illegal on the internet? How serious of a sin is it?

it is agaisnt the commandments.

Thou Shall Not Steal!

I understand that the nothing is as decietful as the human heart, we are capable of justifying and rationalizing all sorts of non sense when it is convenient or in what we believe to be our best interest. The truth of the matter is downloading pirated music, software, movies, etc is stealing, it is immoral. However, if someone were to offer their music online for free, or to distribute music free with the consent of artists this would not be stealing.

I have never takena course on moral theology and am no authority, however, i believe this only to be logical. And this is comming from someone who used to own hundreds of burned cds. Supoport your artists so they continue to make music!

why not find free stuff to download? Most catholic bands have free music.

[quote=GoodKnight1443]why not find free stuff to download? Most catholic bands have free music.
[/quote]

If you go into a music store you can take a cd, listen (in the store) to all the songs and then if you like it you buy it. If you don’t you hand it back.
I would say its the same if you download a song to listen to it. If you like it and want to buy it you go to a store or buy it from the internet.
If you don’t want it you “hand it back” by deleting it.
I would say its only a sin if you download and keep the song.

Since it is currently illegal to download [illegal] music in America (and in all Western countries), yes it is a sin. If it’s stealing or not is a whole 'nother question we won’t get into here… since I don’t believe it is… but just “copyright violations” we’re still called to uphold the laws of the land as Faithful Catholics. We’re called to obey laws which are just and which are not harsh or go against the Faith. All of our leaders are here only by the power of God (this doesn’t mean that they’re all good, but it does mean that we are to respect just authority). When there’s so many alternatives out there such as Napster, Yahoo! Music, iTunes, etc. etc. why even bother with downloading junk from the Internet? If there’s something you like, buy it… I myself am guilty of downloading music and have since went to confession and now only get my music legally from places mentioned above. btw Yahoo! Music does have a sweet deal at only $5 bucks a month and Napster’s is only $15, and almost everyone should be able to afford that if they can afford broadband.

What if it is gregorian chant?

[quote=Semper Fi]Since it is currently illegal to download [illegal] music in America (and in all Western countries)
[/quote]

To the contrary, Canada is not one of them. :stuck_out_tongue: Downloading music for personal reasons is legal, although uploading them is not.

Unusual, yes, but that is Canada for you…

[quote=silverwings_88]To the contrary, Canada is not one of them. :stuck_out_tongue: Downloading music for personal reasons is legal, although uploading them is not.

Unusual, yes, but that is Canada for you…
[/quote]

supposedly… i’ve still yet to see a Canadian show me the relevent law :slight_smile:

[quote=Semper Fi]Since it is currently illegal to download [illegal] music in America (and in all Western countries), yes it is a sin. If it’s stealing or not is a whole 'nother question we won’t get into here… since I don’t believe it is… but just “copyright violations” we’re still called to uphold the laws of the land as Faithful Catholics. We’re called to obey laws which are just and which are not harsh or go against the Faith. All of our leaders are here only by the power of God (this doesn’t mean that they’re all good, but it does mean that we are to respect just authority). When there’s so many alternatives out there such as Napster, Yahoo! Music, iTunes, etc. etc. why even bother with downloading junk from the Internet? If there’s something you like, buy it… I myself am guilty of downloading music and have since went to confession and now only get my music legally from places mentioned above. btw Yahoo! Music does have a sweet deal at only $5 bucks a month and Napster’s is only $15, and almost everyone should be able to afford that if they can afford broadband.
[/quote]

Actually, its not illegal to download music in Canada, Our Supreme Court ( highest court ) last year ruled it was not illegal to download music from those programs, they only said it was illegal to allow people to upload it off of you.

[quote=Semper Fi]supposedly… i’ve still yet to see a Canadian show me the relevent law :slight_smile:
[/quote]

Tis true, if you want I can go and find the actual ruling , it may take some time but if you insist i will. although it isnt illegal here i still believe it to be stealing and do not download music.:slight_smile:

Get this verses downloading 20 gigs of music. It works perfectly and has everything on Earth. The sound quality is perfect and you never steal a thing. I think yahoo has this as well.

real.com/dmm/rhapsody/?ocode=search&pcode=rn&cpath=ppcse&rsrc=gg_rhp_lp1_cp2&GCID=S11731x038-rhapsody&matchtype=search&GTKW=rhapsody

-D

[quote=willy]Tis true, if you want I can go and find the actual ruling , it may take some time but if you insist i will. although it isnt illegal here i still believe it to be stealing and do not download music.:slight_smile:
[/quote]

musiclaw.ca/news.asp - might double check :slight_smile:

[quote=Anonymous_1]it is agaisnt the commandments.

Thou Shall Not Steal!
[/quote]

Right sentiment, wrong commandment. Copyright violation is not stealing–it’s disobeying God’s lawful authority given to the government.

[quote=thistle]If you go into a music store you can take a cd, listen (in the store) to all the songs and then if you like it you buy it. If you don’t you hand it back.
I would say its the same if you download a song to listen to it. If you like it and want to buy it you go to a store or buy it from the internet.
If you don’t want it you “hand it back” by deleting it.
I would say its only a sin if you download and keep the song.

[/quote]

Hi
The problem here is that the store has already paid the royalty fees to the artist and the record company so they can use that music as a source of advertising. When you download music from some pirate site you can bet they have not paid the royalty fees. You can justify this as many ways as you wish, the fact remains that it is a sin and against the law.
Thanks.

[quote=Timidity]Right sentiment, wrong commandment. Copyright violation is not stealing–it’s disobeying God’s lawful authority given to the government.

[/quote]

Hi
No, it is stealing. You are taking something away from somebody that doesn’t belong to you. Once you pay for it, you can download it. You can steal someones credit card number and use it.
Thanks.

[quote=Timidity]Right sentiment, wrong commandment. Copyright violation is not stealing–it’s disobeying God’s lawful authority given to the government.
[/quote]

it is stealing…lok past the justifications and rationalizatiosn and youll see this
to download music that has been pirated is stealing…

if someone rips music off their cd and uploads it with the intention to distribute it to people for free…and then someone else goes and downloads the music they would other wise have to pay for…its stealing…its unethical…listen, record labels invest millions of dollars getting artists recorded and their music distributed. To deliberatley and intentionally deprive music labels of the money they deeerve as a result of the investments they have sown is stealing…it is wrong for american and canadian alike…

eMusic.com is like 25 cents per song. Way cheaper than iTunes and completely legal.

Eamon

[quote=turboEDvo]eMusic.com is like 25 cents per song. Way cheaper than iTunes and completely legal.

Eamon
[/quote]

If I download music from a legal site like eMusic, can I make copies of that music?

Any help would be appreciated.

[quote=johnq]If I download music from a legal site like eMusic, can I make copies of that music?

Any help would be appreciated.

[/quote]

Hi
As long as you don’t sell them or give them to anyone else. They must be for your OWN entertainment. It’s the law.
Hope this helps.

[quote=NonDenom]Hi
As long as you don’t sell them or give them to anyone else. They must be for your OWN entertainment. It’s the law.
Hope this helps.
[/quote]

What can I do if I want give away some CD’s with legally copied music on it? This is religious music used as a gift for some friends. I need more help.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.