Doxology

Hi, all.
I have noticed that during the doxology, there is an older man in the congregation who says it along with the priest. Just wondering what your thoughts were on this…

He’s not a priest, and he’s not concelebrating, so he shouldn’t be saying it.

Thats what I thought. I dont know why he does it....

I’d be willing to bet that at some point he was in a parish where the congregation was invited to do that by the celebrant.

I’ve had at least 2 or 3 pastors in different parishes who have invited that and it was only years later that I found out how wrong that was. I’m sure some priests meant well and didn’t know better, but some did and categorically stated that they didn’t care, they were going to keep having the congregation reciting it.

I’m not trying to spin anyone up, so don’t take this as heretical rantings. I know rules are rules, but does anyone really feel that such a violation of protocol is intended purely from a prospective of charity, that it is a spirtitual felony?

[quote="scc11, post:1, topic:287600"]
Hi, all.
I have noticed that during the doxology, there is an older man in the congregation who says it along with the priest. Just wondering what your thoughts were on this.....

[/quote]

He's probably saying it along in his head, and just doesn't realize he's doing it out loud. I know there's at least one older man in our congregation who seems to say most of the Mass along with the priest...

:shrug:

I don’t understand the question.

Sorry, I was speaking of the man reciting the priests words in the mass.

However, I’m wondering about the intial question posed in this thread. If the man, or congregation is reciting the doxology, that is quite correct, according to the order of the Mass.

Doesn’t the doxology begins with, “for thine is the kingdom…”

The part recited only by the priest, “Deliver us, Lord, we pray, …” is not technically part of the doxology, as I understand it.

Please correct me if I’m wrong…I want to get it right if Catholicism every becomes a category on Jepordy!:slight_smile:

Which doxology are we talking about?

If we are talking about the doxology to the Eucharistic prayer…

Through him, and with him, and in him, O God, almighty Father, in the unity of the Holy Spirit, all glory and honor is yours, for ever and ever.

That is for the priest alone. But if it is the doxology to the Lord’s prayer…

***“For the kingdom, and the power and the glory are yours now and forever.” ***

That is an acclamation, one of the people’s parts.

-Tim-

I think in this case the OP was talking about the doxology of the Eucharistic Prayer:
*Through him, and with him, and in him, O God, almighty Father, in the unity of the Holy Spirit, all glory and honour is yours, for ever and ever.

*Then again, I’ve also known priest who invite the congregation to recite “Deliver us, Lord, we pray, from every evil…” which is also wrong.

The Doxology is

Glory Be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, as it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.

At least that is the only doxology I ever knew about.

It’s one, but it’s not the only one. The end of the Eucharistic Prayer before the AMEN is a Doxology as is the acclamation at the end of the Lord’s Prayer. All three are short hymns or prayers of praise.

[quote="Phemie, post:12, topic:287600"]
It's one, but it's not the only one. The end of the Eucharistic Prayer before the AMEN is a Doxology as is the acclamation at the end of the Lord's Prayer. All three are short hymns or prayers of praise.

[/quote]

Got it! Thanks!

:thumbsup:

I was referring to this Doxology:
Through him, and with him, and in him, O God, almighty Father, in the unity of the Holy Spirit, all glory and honor is yours, for ever and ever.

Amen!

Oh, sorry, I am just programmed to say Amen after that is spoken/written!

:wink:

This is part of the Liturgy of the Eucharist and “presidential”, in other words, reserved to the priest and concelebrating priests alone. I have seen deacons recite this along with the celebrant, drives me nuts too!

Question is, is the old man you refer to so annoying that it is necessary to go to him and correct him, I would say probably not. It would cause hard feelings for no good reason.

Maybe Father should chant the doxology instead.

Throoooo-ooooh him and wiiiiiii-iiiiith him and iiiiii-iiiin him, oh God all-miiii-iiii-teee fa-a-ther. In the un-ni-teeeeeeeeeee of the ho-oh-leeee speee-eer-it. All glory and ho-o-nor is yourrrrrrrs, now and for-e-e-ver. A-a-meeeeeeeeee-eeeeeeeeeen!

That might confuse the guy enough to get him to stop. :smiley:

-Tim-

I have a question…there are several people at my parish (mostly women) who feel it necessary to recite the ENTIRE mass along with the priest. Word for Word. Blessing for Blessing. They recite the eucharistic prayers, preface dialogue, doxology, and pretty much everything the priest says. This make me extreme mad an uncomfortable during mass because i know how wrong this is. Canon Law explains that the laity should remain silent and in awe of what is happening. I feel like i should say “you aren’t a priest” or “why don’t you let the priest say the mass”. Anybody have more info on this? and if so give me some advice on how i should handle this…BTW i have spoken to my parish priests but i’m not going to push the issue right now with them

One priest who was replacing in my birth parish, stopped dead when people started reciting the doxology with him. “I don’t know what you are doing, but nobody but the priest recites this part of Mass.” It stopped the practice for a little while but when the Pastor returned, even though he told the Parish Council he knew it wasn’t supposed to happen, he let it start again.

I’m very concerned about this practice. If anybody can basically say mass, what is the point of the priesthood? These laity who lived through Vatican 2 think they can do whatever they want. They can recite the mass, barge into the sacristy like they own the place, and will not be pleasantly surprised when a youthful conservative priest comes to their parish and sets things straight.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.