Dr. Birx says coronavirus is "extraordinarily widespread" in rural areas

Dr. Deborah Birx warned on Sunday that the coronavirus pandemic has entered “a new phase” in the U.S. and said the virus is “extraordinarily widespread” in rural areas that missed earlier waves.

“What we are seeing today is different from March and April,” Birx, the White House coronavirus task force coordinator, said in an interview with CNN. “It is extraordinarily widespread. It’s into the rural as equal urban areas.” The virus has now infected more than 4.6 million Americans.

“To everybody who lives in a rural area, you are not immune or protected from this virus,” she added.

Birx said that all Americans, no matter where they live, should follow the guidelines of wearing masks, practicing social distancing and maintaining good hygiene, such as regular hand washing. But she pointed out a special risk for rural residents and said some should already assume they have the virus.

“If you’re in multi-generational households, and there’s an outbreak in your rural area or in your city, you need to really consider wearing a mask at home — assuming that you’re positive, if you have individuals in your households with comorbidities,” Birx said.

1 Like

Looks like everyone on the planet should follow this advice.

1 Like

A doctor with 40 years experience says it is, but POTUS says its not…who to believe, who to believe!?

2 Likes

I remember there being disagreement on rural and more densely populated areas using the same strategy. Was this one of the points of disagreement?

Possibly. My theory is eventually everyone will come close to contracting the virus if they haven’t actually contracted it already. There are no known total virus—free areas.

When did President Trump say the opposite of the above? Can you post a recent quote not from CNN?

" Trump claimed in his Monday tweet that Pelosi has criticized Birx “because she was too positive on the very good things” he said his administration is doing to respond to the pandemic.

“In order to counter Nancy, Deborah took the bait & hit us,” the president tweeted. “Pathetic!”
https://www.usnews.com/news/elections/articles/2020-08-03/trump-takes-shot-at-birx-after-long-targeting-fauci

That’s the position my wife and I are taking. But much like death, I’m trying to delay the eventuality as long as possible.

I have a relative that has a job at which he encounters several hundred people per day that eventually became infected. He now tests negative, but I wouldn’t say he is recovered as he still experiences fatigue. On one hand I was worried about him since he has blood clotting problems and this disease is said to cause clotting. But he is also on prescription thinners to lower his propensity to clotting. So that might have helped.

So you either can’t or are unwilling to.

Everything I’ve heard from Trump is that the virus is to be taken seriously, that it is infectious, that we need to take precautions personally, but that we also need to live.

All of you who claim President Trump is downplaying the seriousness of the virus, remember you are getting your news from news sources that are primarily anti-Trump and secondarily news reporters. They are listening to opinions of the likes of Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer who were still playing with the bogus impeachment when Trump was dealing with coronavirus.

So maybe you should try Google and look at a source beside CNN, MSNBC, ABC, WaPo, NYT and the like.

2 Likes

Fake News, or News that merely upsets the Trump paradigm? Or are the two synonomous?

This pretty much proves my point doesn’t it. The OP wasn’t about President Trump’s tweets, it was about how COVID is widespread in rural areas. dscath attempted to say Trump has been saying the opposite which he fails to back up. So stay on topic and give your Trump hating viterol a break.

2 Likes

The Lancet came out with a study conducted in Spain. The belief was that the more people contracting the virus will result in significant death tolls and overwhelming of the hospital systems.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)31483-5/fulltext

Fake news for sure. I would bet you never have seen Trump speak on the coronavirus except through a very carefully edited clip by a leftist news media source. Edited to make it appear it says exactly what they want it to say.

Okay…there you go…no need for any further discussion between you and I…Have a good day…Over and out!

I’m curious as to if more people having the virus provides higher opportunity for mutations of the virus. Even if someone does gain lasting immunity from being infected (something that we don’t know will happen) with significant mutation(s), could they possibly get reinfected? It’s one of the unknowns that still concerns me.

1 Like

It’s a concern with any infectious agent and viruses in particular. As this one is new, we don’t know much yet. For common cold viruses, it’s very common. With it comes two possibilities…it becomes more virulent or it becomes less. Of course, we hope for less but we don’t get to decided.

1 Like

In other words, no.
They have no source for this.

2 Likes

Like videos on quantum physics? I’m serious.

Maybe Breitbart, FOX, Redstate?

No, it don’t. Trump called Dr. Birx’s views ‘pathetic’. That’s not backing her up.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.