Looking back after typing my responses, there’s just a teeny-weeny-little bit of sarcasm in the following responses.
- Forced Celibacy lead to sexual deviation.
I recall reading somewhere that the rate of pedophillia (which he is undoubtedly referring to) is actually less than the rate among the general population. Don’t remember where though.
- Under the Cardinals residence is one of the largest gay bars in Rome.
If it is true, so what? If my office space is on the third floor and a gay bar on the first floor, what does it matter?
- Pope Benedict XVI resigned because it was the only way to clean out the Vatican corruption.
Yep. Age and declining health couldn’t possibly of had anything to do with it. And how exactly does one resigning clean out corruption in an organization?
- Catholic’s exalt Mary over Christ and god.
Not in any mass I’ve ever been to. In fact, except in the Creed, where we refer to Christ being born of the Virgin Mary, or if she happens to be in one of the readings of the day, or in a sermon, I don’t recall hearing anyone mention Mary.
- They re-sacrifice Christ at the mass.
Nope. We re-present the bread and wine of the last supper, as Christ did. If we ‘re-sacrifice’ Christ, Christ re-sacrificed himself before he was sacrificed. Aye! And I thought the Trinity was a hard concept to wrap my mind around.
- False forgiveness of the confessional.
Yep. When the apostles were given the power to forgive men’s sins in John 20:22-23, it came with the stipulation that it can’t be administered in a private room. Or, was that part of John 20 redacted from the proof copy?!?!?!
- Infant Baptism is useless.
Why is that? Even if infant baptism was false, at least their forehead will be clean and they’ll smell nice. Can’t technically call that ‘useless.’
- People give money to the church to buy their dead relatives out of purgatory.
No, people give money to the church to support the church. People offer prayers to get their dead relatives out of purgatory.
- You can buy your own way out of purgatory.
Hmm… not the last time I checked the Catechism. Maybe Dr. MacArthur has a Catechism for a different Catholic Church than the one I belong to.
- They worship idols.
Hmm… wasn’t aware that God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit were idols, and not the Trinity.
- Prayers for the dead are wrong.
Don’t remember reading that in any Bible. In fact, if Dr. MacArthur would use a complete Bible, he’d see it right there in Maccabees, that it’s a wholly good and right thing to do to pray for the dead.
- The pope is a usurper of Christ over his church.
- The papacy is the Anti-Christ.
Wasn’t President Obama the anti-christ last week on Fundie Radio? I wish they’d make up their minds.
- The pope can’t ever make a mistake (infallibility).
Not sure where he got that idea from, but infallibility is only limited to faith and morals. If he can’t EVER make a mistake, I definitely am de-inviting him from my Saturday night poker game (not that he ever came…)
- Pope John Paul II is not in heaven (faith alone doctrine).
Is the devil crank-calling Dr. MacArthur again, pretending to be JP2 and stuck in Hell? I wonder if the good Dr. checked his caller id or did a reverse number look-up.
- Quotes the Council of Trent (6 session chapter 16) Cannon 9, 11, 12, etc.
- The roman system is a replica of the Pharisees.
If it were a replica of the Pharisees, we’d be denying Jesus was the Messiah.
- Paul acted without Peter’s (the pope) authority.
Hmm… don’t know what to say. I’m posting this response without the Pope’s authority. One moment… email sent… waiting… still waiting… guess I’m doing the same thing Paul did.
- There is no link between Peter and every pope.
Yep. Nowhere in the Bible does it say that one should be elected to fill the place of one who died. Certainly that didn’t happen to Matthias when he got Judas’ job.
- Large chunks of time when there was not a pope (4 century, 7th century, 11th century, 15th century)
Yep. I sure remember an instruction in the Bible that said the church can’t go more than 6 weeks without having a Pope. Or not!
- The history of the church is a mess and that invalidates it.
Oh boy, if the Catholic church being a mess invalidates it, what do 30,000 competing interpretations of the Bible do to the Protestant church?
- The catholic church is a gigantic system of church worship, sacrament worship, saint worship, Mary worship, image worship, relic worship, priest worship, pope worship. (quotes J. C. Ryle)
Don’t recall ever worshiping the church, saints, Mary, images, relics, priests, the Pope. The sacraments… well… just one… but the Eucharist is the Body and Blood of Christ, so isn’t He worthy of worship, since he is God?
- The pope wears a jeweled crown worth millions. The cardinals garb is worth tens of thousands of dollars. etc… It’s a pompous display of wealth that covers a sinful system that seduces and it’s Satanic.
Yep, I just hate that every time I see Pope Francis on TV he’s wearing that annoyingly large jeweled crown. I mean, really, does he know that the glare from all those jewels make him look like he’s glowing with light? Maybe that’s why Dr. MacArthur thinks he’s trying to imitate God. I hated it when John Paul II did it, I hated it when Benedict XVI did it, but Francis just can’t seem to go out in public without the crown.