"Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman" and... evolution?

hey, all, just a quick question for those with better memories than mine (or those that have the DVD set...)

In searching for a TV series as a gift for a teenage girl, I recalled having enjoyed watching "Dr. Quinn" years ago. I looked it up on amazon.com and got excited about maybe starting her on this series (will save me headaches coming up with gift ideas for a while!) but then I saw a review for season three which says that Dr. "Mike" stirs up the town with her teachings on the theory of evolution.

Now it was a long time ago that I last watched this series, and I do not remember this episode, so I just wondered how this particular episode handled the whole topic of evolution. I don't want to give a gift that may cause consternation in her family (thinking I'm pushing evolution by giving this gift, kwim?) So can anyone tell me what they thought of and how exactly the topic was handled?

I'm thinking that it might be a hard sell anyway--they might consider it too feminist :rolleyes:--but before I'm branded a radical, I thought I'd see if anyone else could give me some information before I spend the money. Thanks for any help you can give me!

[quote="bluerose, post:1, topic:181702"]
hey, all, just a quick question for those with better memories than mine (or those that have the DVD set...)

In searching for a TV series as a gift for a teenage girl, I recalled having enjoyed watching "Dr. Quinn" years ago. I looked it up on amazon.com and got excited about maybe starting her on this series (will save me headaches coming up with gift ideas for a while!) but then I saw a review for season three which says that Dr. "Mike" stirs up the town with her teachings on the theory of evolution.

Now it was a long time ago that I last watched this series, and I do not remember this episode, so I just wondered how this particular episode handled the whole topic of evolution. I don't want to give a gift that may cause consternation in her family (thinking I'm pushing evolution by giving this gift, kwim?) So can anyone tell me what they thought of and how exactly the topic was handled?

I'm thinking that it might be a hard sell anyway--they might consider it too feminist :rolleyes:--but before I'm branded a radical, I thought I'd see if anyone else could give me some information before I spend the money. Thanks for any help you can give me!

[/quote]

I don't remember the evolution episode. It certainly wasn't an on-going theme. Doctor Quinn always argued for the "liberal" issues, but she was usually forced to moderate her approach or even her viewpoint when faced with the people of Colorado Springs who were not college-educated, but who nevertheless knew a lot more than she did about a lot of things.

I'm guessing that even if the show was about evolution, it probably concluded with a "theistic evolution" approach, which is what a lot of Catholics believe. In other words, I'm guessing that God is still given the credit for creating heaven and earth. (I don't believe in any monophyletic evolution, BTW, and I hold a degree in Biology from a secular university.)

I wouldn't consider the show "feminist," unless you think it is wrong for women to have the freedom to choose a career as a doctor or anything else they want to be. That's the extent of the "feminism" on the show, and I say, "Hooray for Dr. Quinn!" And I'm a woman who believes that Sarah Palin shouldn't be running for President while she is still raising young children! I consider myself very conservative when it comes to women and careers and children, but I still think that women should have the right to follow a career path of their choice.

DQ depicted pioneer women, women who lived in the Wild West in the U.S. History tells us that there were many single women out West whose husbands had died or been killed. These single women had to make their own way, and they had to be darn tough to do it! That's not feminism, that's reality of that time in history. We simply can't compare their lives to the lives of women who lived in the civilized East, or women who live today.

My two daughters watched Dr. Quinn from Episode 1 while they were growing up.

Now they are 23 and 26, and whenever they are together, they have DQ marathons. My younger daughter received the complete series on DVD from her husband for a Christmas gift. They probably watched 20 hours of DQ while they were home for Christmas vacation.

I think the show, for the most part, was decent and highly commendable compared to all the horrible junk and immorality that is presented on so many other television shows. I think that a lot of my girls' morals and attitudes were shaped by their love of this show.

The show consistently gave a definite message of chastity--a rarity on television. Also, the show was very positive when it came to religion--the character of the minister was wonderful and the presence of religion was a constant on the show.

My favorite episode was when Brian went temporarily blind after a fall. Orson Bean's character (Loren) was fantastic helping the little boy to learn to make the best of his disability.

I also loved the episodes in which Johnny Cash and June Carter Cash were on the show. Apparently this is when Johnny Cash met Jane Seymour's husband, and started working with him to make the Johnny Cash story into a film. After Johnny Cash died, the film was made, and it was a huge success (Walk The Line). My favorite actor got fantastic reviews in this movie, even though his part was small (Robert Patrick played Johnny Cash's super-mean father--one of the critics said that he was like "Daddy Dearest!" And another critic said that it's too bad they don't give Oscars for small parts, because Mr. Patrick deserved it more than some of the actors who win Oscars for big parts.)

BTW, the men on DQ--ALL of them, of all ages, were incredibly good-looking, hotter than pistols! Drool! Sigh! My daughters and I still have discussions on which one is the cutest guy on DQ! Of course, Sully is the obvious hunka hunka, but I really loved Hank the saloon owner--oooh, his hair was gorgeous! And I liked the minister, too!

Anyway, I recommend DQ, unless you can find something better. Don't go for Little House--fluffy, inaccurate, a Michael Landon fantasy version of Ms. Ingall's wonderful books. Skip the series and buy the books instead.

[quote="Cat, post:2, topic:181702"]

Anyway, I recommend DQ, unless you can find something better. Don't go for Little House--fluffy, inaccurate, a Michael Landon fantasy version of Ms. Ingall's wonderful books. Skip the series and buy the books instead.

[/quote]

Umm, too late, we've all watched "Little House" AND loved it (we're not looking for a history lesson here, just good clean entertainment!) and the books, while utterly fabulous, are not exactly the "real, true" story of Laura's life either (read Donald Zochert's "Laura: The Life of Laura Ingalls Wilder" to get a real perspective on life in Laura's days, plus stories that never made it into the books.)

If I recall the episode correctly, Dr. Quinn was opening a library in the town with books that she and/or her parents owned. In reading the books someone found a book about Darwin and/or evolution and got the town into an uproar. The part I remember was that during church the preacher had his sermon on not having books in the town that weren’t wholesome. Then Dr. Quinn got up and asked him if there turned out to be a book that had Jesus tempted by the Devil would that book be allowed in town. The preacher said ‘no’ so Dr. Quinn told him that his decision would mean banning the Bible as Jesus was tempted by the Devil in one of the bible stories. Eventually the town realized that they’d gone a little crazy and had gone too far with the book burning. I don’t know if the library ever opened back up or not, though. I don’t think evolution was a high topic just unsavory material in the inds of the town.

I liked this show a lot and thought it was fun to watch.

Okay, so the episode mainly dealt with book-burning, rather the actual teaching of the theory of evolution, then? That's different from what I read in the amazon.com review... they said the episode dealt with her teaching the theory of evolution.

I may have to see if my local video store has TV series on DVD and see if they have season 3, so I can preview it before I spend the money... I always LOVED the series myself, but I'm taking into account the person I'm giving it to and I know what they like and don't like.

Thanks for the input!

A bigger concern than evolution, might be hunk Sully's regular promotion of Native American spiritism, as he reminds everyone what "the Cheyanne believe..."

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.