Dr. White's Open Invitation To Guardian (and others)

Hey guys,

James White has extended an invitation to Guardian to call in to the Dividing Line.

I suppose this invitation goes out to all of those of you who think Dr. White is shallow, unscholarly, a charlatan, a liar, etc.

Will one of you guys please call in and set the poor man straight.

Any takers?

I’ll go on record now and predict that out of all the excellent apologists here at CAF, not a single one of you will call in to the show.

Will my prediction be proved wrong?

Anyone considering this should read and ponder this: Interacting With Sophists: Reflections on “Debates” With Anti-Catholic Polemicists

Scott

Scott,

C’mon, Dr. White is a simpleton (at least according to many on this forum) so you guys should be able to set him straight with no problem.

[quote=Calvinator]I suppose this invitation goes out to all of those of you who think Dr. White is shallow, unscholarly, a charlatan, a liar, etc.
[/quote]

This is extremely uncharitable and uncalled for. I believe most of our comments were directed to what White said – not who he is.

[quote=Calvinator]Will one of you guys please call in and set the poor man straight.
[/quote]

The mods discourage us from swarming. This rule is in the Banned Topics thread in the Rules of the Road forum. I have already given you the heads up on this on a previous thread.

[quote=Calvinator]I’ll go on record now and predict that out of all the excellent apologists here at CAF, not a single one of you will call in to the show.
[/quote]

Good.

[quote=Calvinator] Will my prediction be proved wrong?
[/quote]

Hopefully not.

for what? another show case :smiley:

Oral debate doesn’t work that way.

That is one reason why I would be very reluctant to do so. It takes loads of preparation, and even then, it is difficult at best to pull off well.

If we’re interested in seeking truth, imo, oral debate, at least in this manner, is not the most conducive way of doing it.

-Rob

Ahh a new commandment: Bait thy neighbor.

Scott

You read my mind!!!

Calvin << I suppose this invitation goes out to all of those of you who think Dr. White is shallow, unscholarly, a charlatan, a liar, etc. >>

I would never say those things, and no one would who has actually studied his anti-Catholic materials. I just think he’s wrong, and know he’s wrong after studying his stuff for 15 years. See previous closed James White CAF thread #9326381235 for why. And I have faced him once. I’ll keyboard warrior from here thanks. :thumbsup:

Phil P

As soon as you start policing your own, I’ll start listening to you when you say I was uncharitable. For the most part the posters here at CAF are fine but there are a fair number of you guys that behave like the fellows you dislike so much at CARM. Until then, the word hypocrite comes to mind.

I didn’t encourage swarming did I? I simply asked for one keyboard warrior to call in and have a discussion with a man who was the object of ridicule in a thread that is now closed.

Maybe you should call in?

But it was okay for some of the posters to pile on in the other thread?

Are you being selective or maybe you were just unaware of what happened?

I am unaware of what happened. However, even if true, two wrongs don’t make a right.

Are you questioning the rules of this forum? Yes or no please.

Go back and read my post(s).

How on earth do you come to the conclusion that I was questioning the rules of this forum?

If you think I am behaving badly, report me to the mods.

[quote=Calvinator]As soon as you start policing your own, I’ll start listening to you when you say I was uncharitable.
[/quote]

It has nothing to do with me policing. I alerted you to a forum rule on a previous occasion. You chose to ignore that.

I also pointed out that you are wrongfully and without evidence misrepresenting the posts of others and wrongfully and without evidence accusing us of making ad hominem attacks on White…

[quote=Calvinator]Until then, the word hypocrite comes to mind.
[/quote]

… while you make ad hominem attacks on us.

[quote=Calvinator]I didn’t encourage swarming did I?
[/quote]

Um… what is this thread about if not an encouragement to swarm?

[quote=Calvinator] I simply asked for one keyboard warrior to call in and have a discussion with a man who was the object of ridicule in a thread that is now closed.
[/quote]

… and if that one keyboard warrior then fosters a major conflict on that radio show? …and if 23 keyboard warriors all take you at your word and all foster a major conflict on that radio show? btw how is this one keyboard warrior to be selected? how is the keyboard warrior to know that he is the one?

[quote=Calvinator]Maybe you should call in?
[/quote]

I would ask you to show us how it’s done, but that would be encouraging you to swarm.

A couple of “White topics” to discuss. Go ahead and defend him in here amongst the keyboard warriors.

(A) “The apostles did not practice sola scriptura.” White’s admitted it since 1997. What does it mean?

(B) “Rome has spoken; the case is closed” means Augustine did not believe in a Papacy. I think not. See Chapman (never replied to by White).

© “Cardinal Newman didn’t believe in papal infallibility.” Another White claim from George Salmon debunked (see link to B.C. Butler reply also Chapter VI on history of Vatican I).

(D) If Calvin’s 5-points are so biblical, why is it no one believed them until Calvin: article by Calvinist John Jefferson Davis on perseverance of the saints (eternal security or “once saved, always saved”). The same could be asked of the Fathers and “justification by faith alone” (Protestant forensic/legal justification).

That could get us started on a couple threads. I gotta hurry before this James White CAF thread #13759237239623 gets closed. :cool:

Phil P

[quote=Calvinator]Go back and read my post(s).
[/quote]

Once is enough, thanks. :smiley:

[quote=Calvinator]How on earth do you come to the conclusion that I was questioning the rules of this forum?
[/quote]

Go back and read my posts. :wink:

Go to his website, get the phone number and give him a call.

I am sure you could call in most anytime during their business hours to set up a pre-defined discussion if you wanted to.

Calvin << I’ll go on record now and predict that out of all the excellent apologists here at CAF, not a single one of you will call in to the show. >>

Probably not, but I’ll discuss in writing “White topics” (A) (B) © (D) and others in here all day. :smiley:

Phil P

Well Calvinator… my opinion is only my opinion but I would call your post uncharitable and baiting. I have been to CARM and found them close minded and yes some were hypocritical, but that has nothing to do with James White or this thread topic does it? So how about we stay on topic… You posted that J. White has extended an invitation to Guardian to call in to the Dividing Line. Then you supposed that this meant any of us that thought he was shallow among other things… Your next line asked if one of us would call and set him straight… THEN, WITHOUT WAITING FOR ANY RESPONSE YOU WENT ON TO TRY TO BAIT US INTO RESPONDING. That sir is not proper. It was uncharitable to “dare” us to call and it was also uncharitable to make snide comments about betting that nobody would call… Not one person responded saying that they agreed with your assessment that JW is shallow, unscholarly, a charlatan, a liar, etc. Attacking ideas is one thing, but attacking a persons intellect, or character is quite another.

I think you have much to learn friend. I am asking my fellow posters on this forum to join me in prayer for you.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.