Drag show at Catholic University

It’s their second annual!

10news.com/news/drag-show-to-be-staged-at-university-of-san-diego-opposing-students-plan-prayer-protest-04232013

This is the most anticipated event of the year at my Jesuit university.

How does a Catholic university get away with this? Don’t bishops have any say anymore?

'As a student, I came to this university expecting to receive Catholic values, expecting to receive a Catholic formation and expected my faith to be respected," Tirado said. "I think that* it’s confusing for a school to send both messages to students that the homosexual lifestyle is OK while at the same time the church disagrees with people living a homosexual lifestyle**."*

Ya think?

Confusion yet again.

I go to a Catholic Middle School and I am pretty much the only person in my grade that hold’s the Church’s belief. There are even some of the administration that don’t.

I live near this university and I am saddened by this, its giving conflicting messages to catholics and non-catholics alike!

:eek:Time for faithful RC students to vote with their feet and transfer if the administration and board of directors is not faithful to the Church. Today’s Our Sunday Visitor lists many Catholic Colleges and Universities that are faithful and have better programs. However, each should be examined closely. Protest to the Bishop who has little say over the matter and let the University and media know why you transfer. Thank you for the heads up. I will not allow my daughter attend USD. She is a straight A student.

I don’t understand why the bishop of this diocese can’t just strip this “Catholic” university of it’s “Catholic” name! No truly Catholic university would allow this kind of garbage on their campus! :mad:

There is an online petition to protest this:

tfpstudentaction.org/university-san-diego-cancel-the-sinful-drag-show.html#.UXkMYcoiSSo

USD is about as Catholic as San Diego State. In fact, for years I didn’t even realize it had a religious affiliation. Many of my friends went there (it’s about 3 hours from where I live), and their entire lives were wrapped up in sororoties/frats and partying.

USD offers a good education, but no way should anyone consider it anything but a secular school. I can’t imagine many enroll there for the Catholic environment, unless they’ve never visited!

Before receiving my Juris Doctor, I went to John Carroll University (Jesuit) for my MBA. They were still a “Catholic” university when I attended. I wonder what they are like now. Anyone heard anything?

You are the future of the Church. Don’t give up the fight; others will recognize the Truth in you and will eventually follow. I am praying for you this day. Stay strong, Jesus is always with you!!

Shouldn’t be called a Catholic Universtiy anymore.

sad…sad…sad.

The problem with that is that the Roman Catholic Church does not ‘own’ the word ‘Catholic’ - not even in the sense that ‘Catholic’ would always mean something like “associated with the Roman Catholic Church”. No more than you ‘own’ the word “Roman”!

But Cristo Rey owns everything.

Actually, per Canon Law, the bishop can and does control which organizations can call themselves “Catholic”. While this may not be enforceable in civil law, all baptized Catholics around the world are bound to Canon Law, so this carries a good deal of weight. Now, not many bishops are willing to wield such power, but some are. Witness Bishop Olmsted of Phoenix and his bid to remove the Catholic status of St. Joseph’s Hospital. This had very real, tangible repercussions. The Blessed Sacrament is no longer reserved there at the hospital and there is no Mass said in the chapel. Another good example is the media company formerly known as Real Catholic TV, which changed their name to ChurchMilitant.TV after their bishop politely requested that they stop using the term “Catholic”. Another counter-example is the National “catholic” Reporter, whose bishops have repeatedly condemned and withdrawn permission to use the name, but who defiantly continue to do so.

OK - background (if it is not obvious): I am not a Roman Catholic. So the following is a genuine request for clarification, based on my ignorance of Canon Law.

Could you back up the claim that Canon Law allows “the Bishop” (any bishop to ban anyone??) to ban those who are not Roman Catholic Church members from using the word ‘Catholic’, as opposed to being able to declare that they are not officially part of the Roman Catholic Church?

‘Catholic’ is, of course, a bog standard english adjective meaning:

cath·o·lic [kath-uh-lik, kath-lik]
adjective

1. broad or wide-ranging in tastes, interests, or the like; having sympathies with all; broad-minded; liberal.
  2. universal in extent; involving all; of interest to all.
  3. pertaining to the whole Christian body or church.
    Origin:
    1300–1350; Middle English < Latin catholicus < Greek katholikós general, equivalent to kathól(ou) universally (contraction of phrase katà hólou according to the whole; see cata-, holo-) + -ikos -ic

If your assertion is true, what moral validity do you think this claim has in secular society?

I never said that the bishops have authority over non-Catholics. At issue in this thread is whether the so-called “catholic” University of San Diego may call itself that. As an organization of Catholic faithful, the bishop does indeed have authority over them.

Associations of Christ’s Faithful

[quote=“Code of Canon Law”]Can. 300 No association may call itself ‘catholic’ except with the consent of the competent ecclesiastical authority, in accordance with can. 312.

Can. 312 §1 The authority which is competent to establish public associations is:

1° the Holy See, for universal and international associations

2° the Episcopal Conference in its own territory, for national associations which by their very establishment are intended for work throughout the whole nation;

3° the diocesan Bishop, each in his own territory, but not the diocesan Administrator, for diocesan associations, with the exception, however, of associations the right to whose establishment is reserved to others by apostolic privilege.

§2 The written consent of the diocesan Bishop is required for the valid establishment of an association or branch of an association in the diocese even though it is done in virtue of an apostolic privilege. Permission, however, which is given by the diocesan Bishop for the foundation of a house of a religious institute, is valid also for the establishment in the same house, or in a church attached to it, of an association which is proper to that institute.
[/quote]

As you can plainly see, USD is a diocesan association and therefore under his authority, rather than the Holy See or the USCCB.

I do not know where it entered the conversation that any of this applies to non-Catholics, because it doesn’t. Canon Law applies only to baptized Catholics.

It entered in post #8 where Holly talks about the bishop stripping the university of its right to call itself ‘Catholic.’

Now if there is a subtext of “…in the eyes of Roman Catholics who are in full communion with the Church”, fair enough.

Without such qualifiers that suggestion is horribly arrogant. You may as well talk about him stripping people of the right to call themselves 'Roman" if they disagree with the Roman Catholic Church on some point! :shrug:

Anyway, thank you for the clarification.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.