Dragons in Video Games

Recently, I was going to buy a video game, but my mother said not to get it because it contained dragons. She continues that dragons are evil and that a good Catholic shouldn’t have anything to do with them. I know that the dragon is shown as a symbol of evil in Revelation and other parts of the Bible, but does this mean that anything associated with dragons is evil? The game in question involved killing the dragons. Aside from some mild violence, I don’t see anything wrong. Is there?
In case you want to see the game for yourself, it’s called Monster Hunters Tri. (I’m a video game nerd. :D)

Puck-(I love your screen name, that was my nickname when I was younger)

Listen to your mom. If your under her roof, you gotta play by her rules. Yes, it stinks, but that’s just how it works.

With all respect to your mom, I think she wrong. Playing that game, like many other games, is not sinful.

Well I can definitely tell you your mom is wrong. Whether or not you’re still bound to obey her even if she is might be a different story though so I’m not sure I can help you there. :o

As to how she is wrong, well it’s mainly because dragons are merely symbols. Your mom would it find it very hard to provide a binding decree from the Vatican that states such symbols are absolute in their meaning. In fact, she’d find trouble finding evidence for absolute meaning in symbols at all.

I suppose that since you are living at home, you should listen to your Mum. I love video games with dragons in them (Dragon Age: Origins is my favourite game, although it is an 18 for a reason! Not suitable for anyone under that age in my opinion).

I suppose one of the things you could tell her is that the majority of games with dragons ends with you slaying them. Which is a very Arthurian concept...

Yeah, your mom is wrong and yeah, you have to listen to her anyway. :)

Whipping up on dragons is great fun. Just ask St. George. Or Siegfried (note: not the guy with the tigers).

Pff, I’d rather have them do my bidding. :stuck_out_tongue:

While I think your mom couldn’t be more wrong, I agree with what other posters have said. When you’re still living under her roof, you gotta live by her rules. She only has your best interests at heart.

Assuming the dragons are bad and you get to run around blasting them with flames or hacking them with a sword, etc, you could try persuading her with the story of St. George and the dragon. Respectfully, of course. ;)

The fact that your mother thinks dragons are "evil" is ridiculous. Like everybody else is saying you have to obey her though, but I had to laugh when I read your question. Was she even trying to be serious when she told you that?

Your mother is 100% right. If you so much as glance at a dragon, your soul will be forever damned to the fiery pits of eternal Hell. Oh wait. That’s retarded, never mind.

If she has a problem with dragons, why would she mind you slaying them? :)
But in any case, you are still subservient to her and you must listen to her wishes regardless of how strange they may seem.

Sorry....have I really lost the plot and finally gone mad? Dragons aren't real.....they're made up.....how can something made up be evil?! Very confused now.....LOL

While you should respect your Mum and be honest enough to do as she asks, there's no reason you can't, politely, try and persuade her that she might have the wrong end of the stick? If you can give a reasoned argument as to why a fictional dragon is not going to lead you to evil, she might change her mind.

[quote="Rascalking, post:2, topic:206256"]
Puck-(I love your screen name, that was my nickname when I was younger)

Listen to your mom. If your under her roof, you gotta play by her rules. Yes, it stinks, but that's just how it works.

With all respect to your mom, I think she wrong. Playing that game, like many other games, is not sinful.

[/quote]

Good advice. Puck, you still need to listen to your Mom. I think there's a Commandment about that somewhere.... ;)

It sounds like your Mom may have taken A Landscape with Dragons to heart. :p

You can always (politely!) try to discuss the issue with her. There is dragon slaying in J.R.R. Tolkien's "The Hobbit", too, but I don't think even Michael D. O'Brien would say that everyone must avoid reading it. I'm fairly certain he's a fan of Tolkien.

[quote="Joe_5859, post:13, topic:206256"]
Good advice. Puck, you still need to listen to your Mom. I think there's a Commandment about that somewhere.... ;)

It sounds like your Mom may have taken A Landscape with Dragons to heart. :p

You can always (politely!) try to discuss the issue with her. There is dragon slaying in J.R.R. Tolkien's "The Hobbit", too, but I don't think even Michael D. O'Brien would say that everyone must avoid reading it. I'm fairly certain he's a fan of Tolkien.

[/quote]

Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't Tolkien himself a Catholic?

Yes, and a very traditional and devout one too.

Hi Puck!
The most important thing you can do is listen to your mother. Having peace and harmony in your home is way more important than a video game. When you are old enough to have your own place and pay your own bills than you can do as you like…that’s what my father used to tell me all the time .

When I was growing up, my mom was one who believed that playing games like Magic the Gathering or Dungeons & Dragons would lead me to Satanism because they could have demons and stuff like that in them. I remember thinking that if what she said was true, then we had better get rid of all our Bibles because they mentioned demons too. :)

That's the height of foolishness in my opinion, but her house her rules. There nothing inherently evil about a big flying reptile, even if it breathes fire.

[quote="Nowhere_Man, post:15, topic:206256"]
Yes, and a very traditional and devout one too.

[/quote]

And yet he wrote about dragons, wizards, magic, elves, orcs, and rings of power? The scandal!

:D

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.