Dragons?

I read a review of the new movie “How To Train Your Dragon” on the NCRegister website and was surprised to see some commenters condemning the movie because it had “good” dragons in it. Apparently, dragons are always to be considered symbols of evil and Satan (not to make light of either).

So, weigh in. Dragons, should they always be evil, demonic creatures?

Oh, for heaven’s sake. More silliness from grim, grumpy folks who see monsters under every bed.

[quote=torch621;6449622So, weigh in. Dragons, should they always be evil, demonic creatures?
[/QUOTE]

Dragon’s are mythological creatures and not solely Biblical ones. In fact, I don’t recall the Bible mentioning dragons, but using the term “beast” (I might be wrong since I have not read the whole Bible). Regardless, that’s just silly to say that some imaginary creature can never be represented a particular way.

It’s funny because the commentators are basically acting just like the Vikings in the movie where they believe that there is no such thing as a good dragon.

Besides, we have “Pete’s Dragon”, “Puff the Magic Dragon”, and the dragon from “Shrek”. And having seen “How to Train Your Dragon” I can say that people who do not see it because there are “good” dragons are missing a great movie.
[/quote]

Oh my GOSH, for reals? What next, fairies and pixie dust?

Until the Catholic Church publishes a Code of Canon Law for Creative fiction that specifically lists the mythological creatures that should be portrayed as good/evil, I have to say: Gimme a break!!!

-signed-

Your average, everyday dragon lover. :stuck_out_tongue:

i was thinking about bringing my kids to see this movie today? My kids are 5 and 3. Would this movie be suitable for them? The USCCB dont have a review for this yet. We will see it in 2-d not 3-d. Thanks for you help!

The 5-year old will love it. The 3-year old will also like it although there might be some scary parts. In my theater there were a lot of little kids and I the end I heard them saying how much they liked the “dinosaurs” in the movie.

Too bad you aren’t seeing it in 3D. There are some really great scenes in 3D and doesn’t really have any gimmiky “things sticking way out of the screen” effects.

I took my 10 year old granddaughter to see it Saturday in 3-D. We both loved it. Nothing
very scary and a good message. She liked it better than Bolt and Shrek.

I would argue that dragons may not be merely mythical creatures, they may have existed at some point and would have been created by God if they did :slight_smile:

As far as looking for satanic influences, I would say there are far bigger dragons to slay out there, so to speak. This movie looks harmless.

First and foremost, I start with the assumption in line with Catholic Doctrine that angels and demons do exist and can have influence upon our material world, if you disagree you are out of line with the Church and will find no value in my arguments.

From my understanding, the issue can be more complicated than we like to think. Please read this to the end to get my point, don’t jump to conclusions.

As shown by the few that simply laughed at your inquiry, we don’t want to believe that anything fictional can possibly have negative repercussions. As shown by your sources, some of us like to find enemies in everything we come across, which may not actually be the worst position to take. (better to be over-prepared for an enemy than unaware of him)

Based on a few pieces of information which I have come across (sources I can’t remember so feel free to take it with a grain of salt) the snake in the garden comes from a Hebrew word that can also be translated “dragon.” For quite a long time in western mythology, dragons were an evil and demonic representation.
Believe it or not, even playing with fictional representations of demons can open you up to some less than positive influences. It is a good idea not to pretend to be a demon or to pretend to work with a demon because you must be careful of just how much you “will” to involve yourself with them. Demons look for even the slightest form of consent to take advantage of some weakness of ours.

Given that, it is possible to understand, even with disagreement, why some people, particularly staunch traditionalists, might have a problem with good dragons. Now, this all has to be taken into consideration as well as the fact that mythological representation has shifted. As well shown in ancient eastern cultures (who have long had “good” dragons in their fiction), it is quite possible to have a similar symbol mean exactly the opposite. Is it possible for a traditionally demonic symbol to be changed? I think so. So long as the context and intent are clearly not demonic, there is no reason to fear demonic involvement simply because its about dragons.

All that being said, I caution anyone with children to stress the difference between fiction and reality. Make sure your kids do not search for dragons because there may be those out there who will use such curiosity to lead children into interacting with dragons meant to be taken as demons.

That made perfect sense and was und4erstandable and sane till this last line.

Yeeah…because when a pair of seven year olds decide to play with pretend dragons in their back yards, there’s gonna be a van of satanists driving by ready to teach them to open the gates of hell.

Notice that what I said was to stress the difference between fiction and reality. Even your hyperbolic example doesn’t affect what I said precisely because they are “pretend” dragons.

What I was cautioning was extending that pretending into the realm of reality and allowing or encouraging your kids to actively seek out real dragons in real life.

Obviously there is no concern over a child’s game in the backyard, safe within their parents protection. What I had in mind was pre-teen to teenage kid who still secretly believes in dragons and has a hidden project dedicated to finding them.

And yes, I mean for people to use prudence in deciding when and how to burst your kids’ bubble that dragons aren’t real. At some point, they need to learn to have a very clear line between fiction and reality, but you don’t need to crush every imagining of theirs with a pessimistic dose of cold reality. Love always, but never at the expense of Truth.

I think if you have a kid that old who still believes dragons and fairies and whatnot are real, you don't have a spiritual issue, but a mental one.

[quote="torch621, post:1, topic:192211"]
Apparently, dragons are always to be considered symbols of evil and Satan (not to make light of either).

So, weigh in. Dragons, should they always be evil, demonic creatures?

[/quote]

Here's my take on that idea. To quote Austin Powers, "It's a bit nutty..."

Well all I know is that in China dragons symbolize luck and good fortune…nothing evil. So I would say all cultures use them as an evil symbol.

[quote="Sierrah, post:15, topic:192211"]
So I would say all cultures use them as an evil symbol.

[/quote]

I wouldn't. ;)

Nor would I

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.