[Draw Muhammad] Pakistan blocks access to YouTube in internet crackdown

We can now put to rest the assertion from some Christians that non believers are afraid to challenge Islam.

news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/world/south_asia/10130195.stm

"The controversy began with the Facebook feature called “Everybody Draw Muhammad Day”. Depictions of the Prophet are forbidden in Islam.

…We simply want to show the extremists that threaten to harm people because of their Muhammad depictions that we’re not afraid of them."

Haha! We're devil worshippers?

http://blogs.taz.de/wp-inst/wp-content/blogs.dir/44/files/2006/11/LEGO%20Mohammed.jpg

I just checked. The group has 64 members or fans and 22 pictures so it’s hardly a global phenomenon.
The top two protest pages, otoh, have 3600 and 1800 members.

You are quite wrong. I’m not sure how hard you searched, but clearly you didn’t visit the actual original site which sparked the movement.

The facebook page ‘Everybody Draw Mohammed Day!’ has 102,497 members. So many people are drawing pictures that Pakistan has banned facebook and youtube.

facebook.com/pages/Everybody-Draw-Mohammed-Day/121369914543425

A man who goes by the name ’ Thunderf00t’ on youtube, made 6 videos in relation to the event…his 6 videos scored over a million views.

youtube.com/watch?v=ApmnezyPSMc

So it is only unacceptable when it is your religion being mocked?

we shouldn’t support this as Catholics

sure, its frustrating when we see secularists mock Catholicism but are afraid to speak out against Islam just because of the fear of terrorists. but encouraging the mocking of a faith is not a Christian virtue. even if we view a faith as false, the right path is to preach the Gospel and pray for conversion, not mock them. as Catholics, we should know what its like to be mocked and persecuted, why would we wish the same for another human being?

Rant:

I agree with you.

As much as I consider Islam a heresy, and like to point out the “fruits” of its tree (the violence, terrorism, forced conversion, bombings,etc), this was done only for pure spite and meanness. Maybe out of anger at the deaths of innocent people at radical Islamists’ hands?

I saw the page yesterday and it was very vulgar (and there were blasphemous images attacking Christianity as well). I do not blame them for getting angry.

The Lord said, not suggested, that we “do unto others as we would have them do unto us.”

Having said that, I do not condone the violence that the Islamic world has shown because of the Danish cartoons or any allegedly disrespect to their prophet. That is evil and way disproportionate to the insult.

We pray for our enemies. Islamists kill them. I choose the Prince of Peace. (but we are allowed self-defense, should those outside of our Faith think we’re just going to be doormats.) Our Faith, our Church, also grows with the blood of our martyrs. Islamists should take heed of this fact.

I would challenge the believers of Muhammad to prove their Religion is one of peace. Or does this just not get reported?

Rant over.

Aux contraire, it is an exercise putting to the test, the Western Ideal that freedom of speech, is more powerful than blood thirsty angry mobs that seek to kill those who dare draw a picture of the prophet Muhammad.

It is the classic; ’ The pen is mightier than the sword’.

I saw the page yesterday and it was very vulgar (and there were blasphemous images attacking Christianity as well). I do not blame them for getting angry

Get angry, but do not riot, threaten and kill.

The Lord said, not suggested, that we “do unto others as we would have them do unto us.”

Precisely…say what you will, do not fear violent reappraisal for the words that you speak.

Well said. :thumbsup: We believe in the same God and should stand by all those persecuted for their faith. We may disagree on many political and doctrinal issues, but we there is no good reason for mocking any religion with serious adherents.

Why shouldn’t Catholics support this? Yes, no religion should be mocked, but this is not about making fun of Islam and never has been. This is an issue of free speech and, more to the point, it is a point of Catholic doctrine:

2107 “If because of the circumstances of a particular people special civil recognition is given to one religious community in the constitutional organization of a state, the right of all citizens and religious communities to religious freedom must be recognized and respected as well.”

No one has the right to kill anyone because of their religious beliefs.

It’s immature behaviour, leaving aside the religious aspect of it, coming up with something like this to spite others is just idiotic. In the end this will result in more violent attacks, which could have been avoided.

So they just did this to show they aren’t afraid? What a might example of bravery, hide behind the internet and organize some childish insult game. Think of the allied soldiers serving overseas too, a lot of effort has been put into making good relations between soldiers and civilians of these muslim countries, and now when they find out “the west” is insulting their Prophet, it’s going to go over really well isn’t it?

Free speech is one thing, but inciting violence through the use of free speech should be strongly condemned and policed. That being said, we can’t expect governments to police every single time someone incites violence under the guise of free speech, sometimes it’s best to ignore idiots so that they don’t draw anymore attention. This on the other hand has caused a major nation to block access to Youtube and Facebook, how would those that use Facebook and Youtube in Pakistan feel now? All because of some bigoted individuals with nothing to prove.

Violent attacks for what? Muslims were offended by crudely drawn stick figures of their prophet?

So they just did this to show they aren’t afraid? What a might example of bravery.

It is solidarity of the masses that is a clear message to the extremist Muslims that the freedom of speech will not be trampled. It is a message of ’ no more '.

Free speech is one thing, but inciting violence through the use of free speech should be strongly condemned and policed.

Drawing a stick figure of the prophet Muhammad is inciting violence? I say the problem lies with the person committing acts of violence because of a stick figure and not the person who scribbles a stick figure on a scrap of paper.

Yeah choy HOOAH! :thumbsup:

I’m all for freedom of speech but there is also disrespect!

I hate it when leftwing Hollywood types mock our Lord Jesus and the Blessed Virgin Mary.

We need to stand with our Muslim brothers and sisters and condemn this!

I have served side by side with Muslim soldiers in the United States military and others.
The majority of Muslims are normal people just like us.

Yes terrorists kill them, take them out—disrespecting some ones religion is unacceptable.

As Catholics we know this!!!

Why is religion off limits to being criticized or dis-respected?

[quote="Zatzat, post:14, topic:199070"]
Why is religion off limits to being criticized or dis-respected?

[/quote]

Well just like I’m not disrespectful to your momma; it’s unacceptable?

My mother isn’t off limits to being criticized. If someone draws a stick figure of her, that isn’t dis-respectful.

youtube.com/watch?v=DaZcLLJ1Uxc

My son has drawn stick figures of the whole family. No one has threatened death. I agree that Catholics have no business ridiculing other’s religion. If the image of Mohammed is used to demean Islam, then we by no means should support it. However, we should also oppose those who seek to force the Islamic faith on others through threats of death and violence. Let us not forget that people have been murdered over this issue. I have no problem opposing an Islam of hatred and death.

Sorry, I use Facebook very little. I just typed “Draw Muhammed Day” in Search and those are the results I got.

For the record I don’t favor gratuitously insulting other people’s beliefs but I am even more bothered by Muslims’ condemning “petty concerns about free speech”. Their ultimate goal is to silence anyone who disagrees with them, including other faiths.
Sorry, I’ll keep free speech even if we have to put up with blasphemy. As for standing with our Muslim “brothers and sisters” – where are they when crucifixes and hosts are desecrated and exhibited as “art”?

Good question.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.