Drawn to Protestant culture

I’m not sure if this has ever been discussed here or if this is the right section but I’ll throw it out there…

I have been a Catholic basically my whole life. I have had all my sacraments at the “normal” time, went to Mass weekly without fail while in my hometown, and have a mother who actually explained the nuances of our faith so that I feel that I understand Catholicism pretty thoroughly. I love so much about it.

However, I find myself drawn to many things “Protestant”. For example, there is a wonderful radio program from the Moody Bible Institute called “Midday Connection” with a great Christian perspective on women’s issues that I find inspiring. The women on this program, all Protestant, are so committed to their faith and are so thoughtful about applying Jesus’ teachings to their daily lives and about social justice. It’s uplifting and it causes me to reexamine my activities and make positive changes. This is just one example…

I cannot find anything even vaguely similar to this in the Catholic Church. Most Catholics I know would be mortified to discuss things like how to treat your husband/wife or what is a Godly way to use your finances. Yet Protestants seem to be much more open about sharing faith and bringing up questions. They are also much less embarrassed to run counter to the typical American lifestyle even though we Catholics technically share the same committment to traditional families.

I feel that the actual Protestant faith is missing many of the important “pieces of the puzzle” and, while they have the kernel of the truth, they are missing out on the richness of Christianity. So I do not actually want to be Protestant :). At the same time, I find myself drawn to, I guess, their culture of sharing and enthusiasm about their faith and their lack of self-consciousness about sticking to their values.

I’m just wondering if anyone feels the same way and if there is any wisdom that can be offered.

Ever hear of EWTN, EWTN Radio, The Catholic Channel, and locally produced Catholic programs?

Are these not available in your area?

Hi NSFrame! :wave:

I think you need to check out EWTN! There’s not only the TV channel, but books, a website, and much more! You can find more information here.

God Bless!

EWTN is on the internet and if you have a high speed interenet connection, you can stream LIVE FEED of the network, free.

EWTN.ORG …it think, google it.

In the top banner, go to television, then to live stream TV English (or Spanish if you prefer), then pick your computer type…windows or flash works for me.

You will find similar shows and MORE…more more…I love EWTN, its all I watch anymore.

Grace and Peace to all of you. I am a convert to Catholicism from Methodism. During my long spiritual journey which ended in my becoming Catholic, I attended various Protestant churches. I was very attracted to the “revival” type churches and especially to some of their hymns which are not found in Catholic hymnals. I would never return to Protestantism, as I always did find it incomplete, but every now and then I will dig out an old Salvation Army hymnal and just belt away at some of those songs like “Power In the Blood”, “I Love to Tell the Story,” etc. They also remind me, fondly, of my childhood. That is certainly NOT to say that there is not great music in the Catholic church. I just like to go down memory lane sometimes.

A Mother’s Rule of Life by Holly Pierlot is a lovely book about Catholic womanhood, marriage, and motherhood.

I went through a stage when I longed for more simplicity in worship (actually, I think it was around the peak of the sexual scandal, so I might have been subconsciously ashamed of my Catholicism at that point). I went to a few Quaker meetings, but ultimately the “feeling” passed and I came back to the one true Faith.

I out ETWN - thanks! It does not appear that this available in my area, unfortunately, but I will look at the site. I have tried listening to the AM Catholic station here in Chicago and frankly, I simply have not found it as engaging as the Moody Bible station. It’s dry.

You know, it’s not just media. I have been brought to tears at a Baptist church service (I attended with a college boyfriend several times) seeing people come forward to receive Jesus. It’s moving. In contrast, most of the time at Mass most people look and are bored to death, including the priest.

I feel horrible about this but sometimes wonder if God is trying to tell me something?

A couple of things … remember that the people coming forward to receive Jesus are involved in a one-time initiation event. It’s a peak moment – but what about the rest of their life? That is where the daily grind comes in. Many are drawn to emotional highs, but these don’t last. Instead, the person who might look bored to death may be making tremendous spiritual progress which is invisible. It happens on the inside.
This doesn’t excuse unfriendly behavior or authentic boredom, but I’ll just caution about judging people by how they look. We always need to judge how we look while God is looking at us during Mass. :slight_smile:

I feel horrible about this but sometimes wonder if God is trying to tell me something?

I’ll suggest that God is calling you … go deeper and seek more sanctification. This usually means that the externals we are attracted to need to be set aside in favor of the more difficult daily grind of self-denial and evangelization. Draw others to the grace that’s in you. As a lifetime Catholic, you’ve received rare gifts that many need you to bring.

In reading over the various comments about being “drawn to Protestant culture” I find it hard to believe that Catholic radio stations are boring. In fact, I’m an “old” lady and sometimes have difficulty in sleeping. When I was desperate for sleep I used to tune into the religious radio station (not Catholic) and the preachers were so boring they put me to sleep. One night I was scanning the radio and heard these “guys” talking about religion and “laughing” it up and I thought they “sound Catholic” – this was the 2nd day our Catholic radio station was started in San Francisco.
Several years ago I made a one day retreat on the Eucharist and the priest was so fabulous in explaining the Eucharist that I made a promise to myself that I would receive Jesus in the Eucharist each and every day. It’s the only thing that keeps me going and I couldn’t get through the day without the Eucharist.
I can’t imagine anyone being “bored” during the Mass if they truly tried to understand it – the words of Jesus that I always remember are “Thou art Peter and upon this rock I will build my Church” – also “this is my Body, this is my Blood, take and eat” – what else could you want???

In my area, I have listened to Protestant radio or tv and experienced positive messages.

I have also heard very anti-Catholic stuff on the same station.

I no longer listen because I don’t know which Protestant media I’m going to get from one minute to the next.

I hear what you’re saying. There are lots of things about Protestant culture that would be great to have in Catholic culture! I am a convert myself and have often been amazed at how Catholics seem to take for granted the wonderful gift of the Eucharist. I think that many people really are aware of and excited about receiving the Body and Blood of Christ, but we are not a demonstrative people. (If Evangelicals had the Real Presence, they’d be jumping up and down and shouting!) I get the sense it’s that demonstration of emotion that you are missing in the Catholic culture. My best suggestion is to keep looking. I have found a number of Catholics who have strong personal relationships with Jesus and love to talk about it, if only with others who have a similar faith.

As for the radio programs – I see very little wrong with listening to Protestant radio if you are well grounded in your faith. We share much of our faith with them and though there are anti-Catholic Protestants, there are also many who respect the Church. If a particular program speaks to you and helps you develop a closer relationship with God, then consider it a blessing in your life. If you find it becoming anti-Catholic or pulling you from your faith, turn it off.

If you can get EWTN, you will see that there is a “revival” beginning. You can watch Mass at EWTN (does not meet Sunday obligation), but they offer different versions such as NO Latin, TLM, etc. The Homily of the celebrant is always interesting and moving…and many have their own “shows” on EWTN. I guarantee that EWTN will help you if you feel that your own parish has not been “feeding” your needs. Don’t miss Mother Angelica…she’s wise and funny.

All right…here is the link:

ewtn.com/

Enjoy.

In the Catholic Church, all of us get to come forward every Sunday to receive Jesus - Body, Blood, Soul & Divinity, truly, really, and substantially present in the Blessed Sacrament. You can’t get that in a Protestant church.

A while back I found this private revelation (approved for distribution by the seer’s local Bishop) on what takes place at Mass on the spiritual level. I suspect what goes on is even more spectacular than what she describes. Read this and you won’t be bored at Mass.

The Holy Mass (pdf)

I agree that EWTN offers programs that are exciting, interesting and much deeper and richer in Christian teaching than what is found on Protestant stations. There are some very lively hosts and I learn something just about every time I listen.

…Try the Charismatic Catholics, maybe you’d like that…
I’m a convert from lutheran and I find lutheran church dry and boring…Where else can you receive Jesus but at Catholic Mass?..I’m brought to tears at Mass b/c I feel so close to my Lord and Savior… I like the beautiful hymns and solemn tone of Mass, I feel so at peace there…It is so hurtful when people degrade the Catholic Mass and say it’s boring, how can Jesus be boring?..:(…I’m sorry, you are entitled to your opinion, but it seems like people love to Catholic bash…God Bless you in whatever church you choose…

Darn it. I wrote a long post and then lost it because of expiring my log-in time accidentally :mad:.

I’ll summarize. Protestants have a lot of good heart, but Catholicism has in it the source of all that heart. All that is good in Protestantism has its completeness in Catholicism. That’s what I found while a Protestant investigating Catholicism. It includes everything good and beautiful that can be found in Protestantism, only far deeper and more profound. It cannot be abandoned. It is the heart of Christianity, and it has been since Christ first instituted this Church. Look at the Early Church Fathers and you’ll see that this faith is the same faith believed in from the time Christ first instituted His Church to today.

There are lots of great Protestants. There are also a lot of bad ones. You just happen to be listening to the good ones and meeting a lot of Catholics that don’t seem to have strong devotional lives. If your geography was different, that could be reversed- you could be listening to lots of great Catholics and your only examples of Protestants could be lousy. Geography makes a big difference.

The system of belief in Protestantism tends to be that you listen to your own private feeling of how the Holy Spirit is guiding you and you read the Bible, and use your intellect to come up with your own interpretation of it. That’s Sola Scriptura. That’s their answer of how to know God’s will. The problem is people come to millions of radically contradictory conclusions based on this “system” (which, by the way, has no basis in either the Bible or the Early Church Fathers. It’s a 16th century invention). There are thousands of denominations, and the “wave of the future” in Protestantism is non-denominationalism, where believers are even less connected with one another. Looking at Protestantism historically, one can see that what they hold as the “essential doctrines” have been shrinking steadily for centuries and the number of denominations and schisms multiplying. This diversity of doctrine cannot be more total in the non-denominational setting, which is growing rapidly within Protestantism. Also, liberalism and relativism are causing the deterioration of even holding to Sola Scriptura- really, it’s becoming more of a “follow your heart” or “follow what you feel the Spirit is telling you- the words in the Bible have been translated and retranslated and there are many other equally good ways of knowing truth.” These terrible ideas are destroying Protestantism. Protestantism has been disintegrating for centuries- many of its greatest founders would have put to death any and all the Protestants of today, if modern Protestants were transported back to the time of the Reformation. Protestant beliefs have been breaking apart for centuries and we are in the midst of one of this natural process’s greatest accelerations right now. We have a front row seat. I have doubts that Protestantism will be able to survive another century, with its breakdown so incredibly accelerated.

But you’re right, in spite of the endless and incessantly compounding heresies and schisms in Protestantism, that many Protestants really do have a heart for Christ and are seeking him. Many of them are great, Spirit filled people and I’m convinced many of them will be in Heaven.

There are lots of Catholics also with a real heart for Christ. You simply have to look in the right places. Try Daily Mass, for instance, or some of the local Catholic ministries. There are lots of pro-family and pro-life, strongly conservative, loving and wise Catholics. Catholics in ministry are often great. Once, there were only a few thousand Catholics in the world (back in the beginning of the Early Church). Today, there are millions of Catholics full of zeal for the Lord.

If you find yourself still tempted by Protestantism, I invite you to send me a PM and I’d be glad to keep discussing it with you.

My dear friend, I’ll post a few of my blogs which may help. God bless you. John:)

**Why did we have a protestant reformation ? **

Christians became known as catholic about 100 AD.
This may be partially true but what I meant to say is that the
christian church is first called catholic chuch about 100AD. Some
scholars say a few years before but the majority say just after.
Catholics being called catholics grew over time and I imagine took off
when many christians eventually split from the catholic church when
they perceived they could not reform her in the protestant reformation
of the 16th century. Saying they split and not continued the true
church is usually a point of great contention with protestants. But
that’s where we got the common term catholic to describe members of
the catholic church. When there were so many christian denominations
there needed to be a way to distinguish between them.
I’ll write a it more. I’m in the mood.
It was 1330AD when the black or bubonic plague first hit Asia and
caused major casualties. Then about 1348-1350 it hit Europe and the
results were catastrophic. Between 1/3 and 2/3 of all people in Europe
died of the black plague in this short time. This is the equivelant of
what would happen if Europe experienced a full blown nuclear war today

• very, very bad. In Englands censuses they saw 70% casualties from
    the plague.
    All of Europe was catholic and orthodox and getting along reasonably
    well with very similiar faiths- only a few differences.
    In the plague people infected could be distinguished by black marks
    all over them - hene the name black plague. It was likely brought to
    Europe from Asia by rats on boats.
    It was mainly the best priests and nuns who would take the infected
    people into their monasteries and convents to care for the infected
    people. The best ones practised Christs teachings to the empth. The
    bad ones would not be so hospitable to those infected because everyone
    knew how highly contagious the plague was andit was a death sentence
    if you caught it - you got it quickly and died quickly.
    This event was the saddest day for christianity in that at the end
    almost all the best priests and nuns in Europe were dead. We were only
    left with the less virtuous ones. Monasteries that had 1,000 good
    priest lost every last one in some cases. This absolutely devestated
    the church. At the end of this terrible plague the people of Europe
    had a masss conversion and return to the church. After seeing so much
    death people turned to God as they usually do. This caused the
    protestant reformation a little later. The church was devastated and
    huge numbers of people needed priests and nuns - but there was hardly
    any left. Especially good ones ( good ones are the loyal, holy,
    knowledgeable and virtuous ). As a result the church had to quickly
    conscrate priests and nuns and the new ones were not the most virtuos
    and did not get a proper education in theology etc etc. Under enormous
    pressure like had never been experienced before 1,000’s of nuns and
    priests were quickly made to tend to the masses who wanted and needed
    them. Most of the priests and nuns were not the best choice and did a
    bad job of it. Members of the church became corrupt because of these
    bad uns and priests/ The church never became corrupt in it’s doctrines
    or teachings but the members certainly did. Even Popes were immoral
    and did some bad things like selling indulgences. They can do this and
    still be infallible teaching on faith and morals, but it looked very
    bad to many christians.
    Things were not the best in the church.
    In 1490 St Catherine of Genoa is the first noticable voice to cry out
    for reform. She had an understudy who’s name was Martin Luther ( a
    catholic priest ). Luther took it upon himself to get this catholic
    reformation happening but must have found it very difficult because
    inthe end he spli from the church as did many others who formed 5
    protestant churches. These have continued splitting to this day. It’s
    now 5 into 30 or 40,000 at least.
    Luther as the leader of what became the protestant reformation deleted
    some books from the bible we’re told. This is a fact. He also wanted
    to delete some books from the New Testament but his followeres would
    not let him. He wanted to delete the book of revelation amongst them.
    The old lost many books , but the new remained intact in the end.
    It says in the bible that if anyone deletes or alters even one letter
    of sacred scipture he will be cursed. It’s a sore point but what
    authority did Luther have to alter scripture let alone take out whole
    books. There were no signs from God that he could or should. We hadthe
    same bible for all christians for 1,500 years before this. When the
    apostles taught God confirmed their teaching with miracles and signs.
    This did not happen with Luther and the reformers. They should have
    left the bible intact.
    Anyway, I’m getting controversial. After all this the catholic church
    continued the catholic reformation and has done so to this day. There
    were also quite a few very good popes after the protestant reformation
    which helped the church.
    It was no doubt Gods will that all this happen as mysterious as it is.
    Jesus prayed for christian unity at the last supper when he asked
    Father as you and I are one may they also be one. I hope all
    christians will return to the church and faith of their ancestors one
    day. It’s what christ prayed for so it will happen eventually.

**How did we get the bible ? Where did the bible come from ? **

It’s very important to know this before considerung a departure. Go to my blog at wheredidthebiblecomefrom.blogspot.com/

God bless you:thumbsup::slight_smile:
John

Have you ever read Scott Hahn’s book “The Lamb’s Supper, The Mass as Heaven on Earth”?
amazon.com/Lambs-Supper-Mass-Heaven-Earth/dp/0385496591

Once I read that book and understood the rich meaning of every part of Mass, I can never have enough attendance. I cannot wait to go to Mass. I truly enjoy every part of the Mass.

By the way, Scott Hahn is a converted Catholic. He used to be a Protestant who was highly against Catholicism.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.