Dreams And Visions!

****Hi everyone, I would like to discuss the above title. Since a very little boy, I have had many visions and dreams, the fact is that many have come into real time. In the beginning these disturbed me, as to understand the events coming to pass. I have sought advise on the matter, I have been told it’s a gift, i have been told it’s evil, or the subconscious expressing my thoughts.
Last night I dreamt that the current Pope and two of his Nun helpers had made a trip to see me, and that the Pope had special orders for me, ‘to attend a prayer meeting’. The Pope’s manner in his instruction towards me was caring and firm, as a father would instruct his son. I remember going to this prayer meeting and the two nuns were there, as I arrived I was seeking the Pope but could not find him, only his two advisors, Acts 2: 17-21, c.f. 1 Cor 12: 8-11.

Does God talk to us through dreams and visions?

I would say the answer is sometimes yes. However, too many people jump to the conclusion that their dreams or alleged visions are from God.
Usually a dream is just a dream.

I also beilieve that he does speak to us in our dreams. It is when we are at peace that we are truely open to God’s message. I have also had certain dreams that have influenced my decision making, even to the point of putting thoughts in my head that normally would have never been there. Now I realize that for the most part it all comes from me and my imagination, I however believe that God had something to do with some of it!

Look toward scripture and the dreams of Joseph regarding Mary and the child Jesus.
As with anything else, dreams and visions need to be submitted to discernment. Is what you are dreaming, seeing in a vision in line with Church teaching? God speaks to us in many ways. Dreams are only one of the ways. Sometimes, but not always, they can give us insight that we would not otherwise have.

Dreams and visions are two different things. Dreams are phantoms, visions are messages from God. But one must discern and submit all visions to the Church (usually via a spiritual director), or else one could be under the guidance of Satan. He could truly appear as an angel of light.

Don’t trust them completely unless you have an experienced spiritual director. :slight_smile: I have a very weird/unusual dream years ago and until now I do not trust it completely although it’s not bad, it just showing me what I will become in the future (a vocation) or chose to become if I 100% believe it. I remained open to it though, a vocation is not bad. Should it come from the devil or God? Who knows. That’s why a spiritual director is very important, which I do not have. :shrug:

Thanks, I will ponder on your answers.

You say ‘visions and dreams’. You’re not clear. Do you have visions while you are awake? Or do you have dreams that relate to reality or have some supernatural character?

If you have those kinds, from what you have said so far it does not sound like a good thing. There is a reason ‘believing in dreams’ is on some Examinations of Conscience lists.

It is because dreams have three sources: God, imagination, and the devil. And nearly 99% of the time it’s the latter two sources and not the former.

Harmless fantasies we do not take seriously that come from our imaginations at night are one thing. Dreams that we take seriously and follow around are quite another, and can be far more dangerous than the secular world knows.

You say ‘visions and dreams’. You’re not clear. Do you have visions while you are awake? Or do you have dreams that relate to reality or have some supernatural character?

If you have those kinds, from what you have said so far it does not sound like a good thing. There is a reason ‘believing in dreams’ is on some Examinations of Conscience lists.

It is because dreams have three sources: God, imagination, and the devil. And nearly 99% of the time it’s the latter two sources and not the former.

Harmless fantasies we do not take seriously that come from our imaginations at night are one thing. Dreams that we take seriously and follow around are quite another, and can be far more dangerous than the secular world knows.

**First Answer: **Both
Second: God is a God of great mysteries.
Third: I’m glad you think with the majority.
Forth: That’s what they said about Joseph’s and Daniel’s dreams.

I thank you for your answers, God bless,*** ‘No one can say Jesus is LORD except by the Holy Spirit’***, also ***‘if satan is divided against itself, his kingdom cannot stand’***.

Your questions and answers have valid points, but is also important to not throw the baby out with the bath water. Blessing to you brother.

Throw out baby with bathwater? Not enough! Throw out tub too! … Exaggeration made for purpose of effect. :eek:

Very many people misled in very serious ways through these. Dreams and visions very dangerous. You are not Joseph and Daniel. Majority become kooks. Please do not become kook. Many very holy people easily deceived. Are you very holy yet? :slight_smile: :stuck_out_tongue:

Holy fear and trepidation of these things is often needed to the greatest extent!

I know people who have had lives ruined by these things. :frowning:

‘God desires from you the least degree of purity of conscience more than all the works you can perform.’

‘Deny your desires and you will find what your heart longs for. For how do you know if any desire of yours is according to God?’

‘To actual imperfections all are not liable in the same way. Some, whose spiritual good is so superficial and so readily affected by sense, fall into greater difficulties and dangers, which we described at the beginning of this treatise. For, as they find so many and such abundant spiritual communications and apprehensions, both in sense and in spirit wherein they oftentimes see imaginary and spiritual visions (for all these things, together with other delectable feelings, come to many souls in this state, wherein the devil and their own fancy very commonly practise deceptions on them), and, as the devil is apt to take such pleasure in impressing upon the soul and suggesting to it the said apprehensions and feelings, he fascinates and deludes it with great ease unless it takes the precaution of resigning itself to God, and of protecting itself strongly, by means of faith, from all these visions and feelings. For in this state the devil causes many to believe in vain visions and false prophecies; and strives to make them presume that God and the saints are speaking with them; and they often trust their own fancy. And the devil is also accustomed, in this state, to fill them with presumption and pride, so that they become attracted by vanity and arrogance, and allow themselves to be seen engaging in outward acts which appear holy, such as raptures and other manifestations. Thus they become bold with God, and lose holy fear, which is the key and the custodian of all the virtues; and in some of these souls so many are the falsehoods and deceits which tend to multiply, and so inveterate do they grow, that it is very doubtful if such souls will return to the pure road of virtue and true spirituality. Into these miseries they fall because they are beginning to give themselves over to spiritual feelings and apprehensions with too great security, when they were beginning to make some progress upon the way.’

St. John of the Cross

As Westerners it is easy to intellectualize our faith, to lean toward the stoicism and rationality of the Greeks rather than trust in God. Jesus assured us that the sheep know their Shepard. We have it within us to recognize and respond to the voice of the Shepard whenever and however He calls us. We will flee any other voice.
In Sunday’s OT reading, we have the story of Samuel called in the night. Following his example, we can say “Speak, Lord, for your servant is listening.” What action are we called to in our dreams? Are we called to sin, to act against conscience or the teachings of scripture and the magisterium? If so, then we know immediately that the dream or vision is not from God. On the other hand, are we called to prayer regarding a particular situation? We have placed the matter in the hands of our Father and we can be assured that we act in accordance with His Will.
Does the Spirit that calls us in the middle of the night acknowledge that “Jesus is Lord.” This is one of the easiest ways to discern the spirit, to know that the vision or dream is indeed from God. We will not be called to sin.
What do I see in my own life? Remembering a situation from my past, I let it pass only to read about a similar situation ending in disaster the next day. Since then when similar thoughts cross my mind, I know to place the matter in God’s hands, to trust that He will protect the individuals involved.
When a dream or vision comes, ask God how to respond. He will show you. Do not be afraid.

closed #12

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.