‘Drill, Baby, Drill’ May Haunt Effort to Taint Obama

Gulf state Republican governors (who did not fault Bush on Katrina) now still want to keep drilling as the oil washes onshore!

"June 4 (Bloomberg) -- Republicans’ embrace of offshore oil drilling and their skepticism of “big” government may hamper the party’s efforts to gain politically from President Barack Obama’s handling of the disaster in the Gulf of Mexico.

Mississippi Governor Haley Barbour, who heads the Republican Governors Association, has said the BP Plc oil spill that followed the April 20 explosion of a deepwater rig is no reason for the U.S. to abandon offshore oil and gas exploration.

As oil washes ashore in Gulf Coast states, Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal, also a Republican, sent a letter to Obama this week expressing “grave concerns” with the president’s decision to suspend activity at 33 deepwater rigs.

“They’re kind of stuck because they’re the party of ’Drill, Baby, Drill,’” said David Lanoue, head of the political science department of the University of Alabama, referring to a Republican slogan during the 2008 presidential campaign. “If you’re an ambitious Republican governor, where do you go with this?”

And, of course, our Sarah knows whose fault the spill is:

"In a posting on Facebook, former vice-presidential candidate Sarah Palin blamed the disaster on “extreme environmentalists” and suggested that campaigns against onshore and near-shore drilling having driven oil companies to pursue deep-water wells.

“Extreme deep water drilling is not the preferred choice to meet our country’s energy needs, but your protests and lawsuits and lies about onshore and shallow water drilling have locked up safer areas,” Palin said."

businessweek.com/news/2010-06-04/-drill-baby-drill-may-haunt-effort-to-taint-obama-update1-.html

I thought Republicans were all for personal responsibility?

The Obama Administration approved a number of new off shore wells this week.

Its going to be tough for most Republicans to exploit the oil spill. Its even worse than the quotes in the OP suggest. Many GOPers have been yelping about getting government out of the way so these oil companies can do what they want, and now we see that real regulation is a good thing in a lot industries. Its easy to be indignant on TV, but it will be tougher when the Dems start running clips of those speeches and the "drill, baby, drill" rallies. As for Palin - she must think we are morons if she thinks people will believe that she was advocating limiting oil exploration to safe and proven on-shore reserves. All the more reason for the GOP to continue to inch away from the loudmouth leftovers from the last couple campaigns and look for new leadership from someone like Pawlenty or Daniels.

I'm with Charles Krauthammer. He asks: "Why are we drilling in 5,000 feet of water in the first place?"

The "Environmentalists" are at least partially to blame. If we drilled in Anwar, this wouldn't have happened. It wouldn't be a mile underwater. "They" could at least get to it.

Live and learn.

God Bless.
+Jesus, I Trust In You!
Love, Dawn

The last major US off shore oil spill was 40 years ago. Claiming that an accident every half century is enough to stop new drilling is ridiculous.

At :50, Ashton Kutcher shows just how bright he is…let him speak for himself:

youtube.com/watch?v=_Lh3WxpF-II

Like they mentioned on Red Eye last night—Bruce Willis is a Republican. Ashton is like the little kid who is being bad and going against his father!

Lol! He and his monster truck. Who’s he tryin’ to kid? Lol!

God Bless.
+Jesus, I Trust In You.
Love, Dawn

[quote="tjm190, post:5, topic:200687"]
The last major US off shore oil spill was 40 years ago. Claiming that an accident every half century is enough to stop new drilling is ridiculous.

[/quote]

And-there are what, around 4,000 platforms out there in the Gulf?

I'm surprised something like this doesn't happen more often. Must be pretty safe.

If 1 accident means stop...what about the accidents with-let's say the airlines? Planes crash. Have they stopped flying? How about those cars? 100 people a day die in car accidents in our Country. That's an average of 2 a day per State. And, we're still driving. How about mass transit? Those subway and train accidents-people are killed there too. Why are they still running?

If we drilled on land (Anwar) it sure would be easier to accesss the well -vs- a mile under water.

God Bless.
+Jesus, I Trust In You!
Love, Dawn

[quote="Beau_Ouiville, post:1, topic:200687"]

I thought Republicans were all for personal responsibility?

[/quote]

They still are. Would you care to expand on your comment* in* relation to this article?

British Petroleum is last time I checked, a British corporation, with offices in America, has been putting forth considerable resources to stop the flow.

In the current crisis, he {Jindal} has prodded federal officials to construct 128 miles of sand walls in the Gulf to stem the flow of oil seeping into wetlands. He won a concession this week when the government told him BP will pay for that construction. The first segment is expected to cost $45 million, Jindal said.

“Extreme deep water drilling is not the preferred choice to meet our country’s energy needs, but your protests and lawsuits and lies about onshore and shallow water drilling have locked up safer areas,” Palin said.

Much as liberals may despise Palin, she is correct in the assesment regarding deep water drilling. The safest areas to drill are almost permanently out of bounds to the oil companies. As such, they have to find oil in more difficult (and costly) areas.

The easiest and almost expected reactionary regulatory move regarding the spill was to suspend activity at 33 deep water rigs:

In his letter to Obama, Jindal said state officials estimate the administration’s suspension order for the 33 rigs will cause the loss of 3,000 to 6,000 Louisiana jobs in the next two to three weeks and as many as 20,000 if the moratorium persists.

Another crisis that has not been let to waste. Obama was never wanting to allow more offshore drilling. This becmoes the perfect opportunity to stop all offshore drinng, thus raising the costs of energy, which ultimately helps his :green: agenda. So, watch for those higher gas prices coming soon, and where will we get the oil we won't be getting from BP? Try Iran or Saudi Arabia. So much for getting out of middle East oil dependency.

[quote="DawnInTexas, post:6, topic:200687"]
At :50, Ashton Kutcher shows just how bright he is...let him speak for himself:

youtube.com/watch?v=_Lh3WxpF-II

Like they mentioned on Red Eye last night---Bruce Willis is a Republican. Ashton is like the little kid who is being bad and going against his father!

Lol! He and his monster truck. Who's he tryin' to kid? Lol!

God Bless.
+Jesus, I Trust In You.
Love, Dawn

[/quote]

Thats Hollywood for ya!
Ashton is an airhead when it comes to deep thinking. He only says what he thinks will gain him more popularity.
Tom Selleck has probably the most reasonable comments in the the whole clip:"there are two problems, the spill and the cleanup."

Interesting is the sidbar playlist from CNN showing a definite left/liberal bias in the selected news clips.

I have worked for an altenative energy company (fuel cells, hydrogen) for over 11 years now. While it is very interesting technology, as there are many facets of alternative energies that have merit, those technologies are still decades away. And too costly.

An irony is that the majority of H2 is produced by reforming natural gas! Which is also a fossil fuel.

While using H2 is a very clean alternative, there are also enormous risks. To make it viable it needs to be stored at extremely high pressures (6000+psi). The safety factor of each fitting and component is increased, which drives up the cost. Building infrastructure using fittings that cost $600-$1000 each is usually too prohibitive for anything more than prototype units.

Obama's immature response of suspending drilling is indicative of an administration that is horribly lacking in understanding the facts. There needs to be more engineers on staff and less university professor-types.

Oil will be needed for many decades to come in America. Accept it.

[quote="Toplink_pin, post:10, topic:200687"]
I have worked for an altenative energy company (fuel cells, hydrogen) for over 11 years now. While it is very interesting technology, as there are many facets of alternative energies that have merit, those technologies are still decades away. And too costly.

An irony is that the majority of H2 is produced by reforming natural gas! Which is also a fossil fuel.

While using H2 is a very clean alternative, there are also enormous risks. To make it viable it needs to be stored at extremely high pressures (6000+psi). The safety factor of each fitting and component is increased, which drives up the cost. Building infrastructure using fittings that cost $600-$1000 each is usually too prohibitive for anything more than prototype units.

Obama's immature response of suspending drilling is indicative of an administration that is horribly lacking in understanding the facts. There needs to be more engineers on staff and less university professor-types.

Oil will be needed for many decades to come in America. Accept it.

[/quote]

Nearby us, on April 7, 1992 (before we moved here), Brenham Texas had a huge gas explosion (Actually in nearby Wesley). (Apparently?) Natural Gas was stored in an underground salt dome:

Wesley, Texas
Three deaths; $9 million in damages
On April 7, 1992, in Wesley, Texas, a liquefied petroleum gas leak exploded with the force of a three-kiloton bomb, killing three people and injuring 21 others. The blast was felt 70 miles away in Houston and heard from twice that far, and registered a 4.0 on the Richter scale used to measure earthquakes.

The cavern had been overfilled due to an inventory error, and gas escaped through an injection well used to extract brine. Emergency response to the accident was complicated by the fact that the facility’s automatic shutdown, alarm system, and other safety systems were insufficient or failed to work properly.

In addition to three human casualties, the explosion in Wesley killed 40 head of livestock, destroyed 16 homes and damaged 150 more, felled trees and denuded acres of land. An area three miles square incurred property damages of more than $9 million.

Disturbingly, the 21 people injured in the blast account for fully one-third of the tiny town’s population. Casualties in a more densely populated area could have been catastrophic.

Here's a kid's blog from that time who lived through the blast:
lance-foxx.livejournal.com/152693.html

Folks around here still talk about it. Each knows where they were-and what they were doing at the time of the blast.

Years ago-when we were looking at properties-I didn't want any with the high-pressure gas lines running through it. This was my stipulation (my husband said okay). Many properties do (have them running through or nearby). Farmers turn over their fields and plant-and all. I'm too afraid of nicking a pipe. I've seen what happens when someone digs without calling first (youknowwhatimean)-even in the city...

My reason for writing this is to back you up. Yes, Natural Gas is under high pressure.

God Bless.
+Jesus, I Trust In You!
Love, Dawn

[quote="DawnInTexas, post:4, topic:200687"]
I'm with Charles Krauthammer. He asks: "Why are we drilling in 5,000 feet of water in the first place?"

God Bless.
+Jesus, I Trust In You!
Love, Dawn

[/quote]

That was my question, good to see Charles is asking the same one.

[quote="SVP, post:8, topic:200687"]
They still are. Would you care to expand on your comment* in* relation to this article?

[/quote]

Palin blames environmentalists. Why not blame BP?

Is Obama going to give back the $1 Million in campaign donations he took from BP?

There are two things, from what I understand, to prevent these blowouts. Drilling mud, and the 3 story BOP.

If I'm not mistaken the mud had been removed to test the BOP and it obviously failed. Someone may have missed something somewhere but now is not the time to hang them.

BP is drilling for oil, for me, for you for our families and for our future.

Let's stop trying to point the finger, while BP is working to stop it, Obama should be making sure people are cleaning it up(which he isn't doing). It's not the first spill and it will not be the last.

There is no regulation that would have prevented this.

I'm 44 yrs old, and if I'm blessed I suppose I have about 20 more years or so of working years left. I've had a great career so far doing some really high tech stuff in the alt energy field. I've seen important gains and improvements, but nothing that will be ready before I retire from engineering.

Nobody wants to stop this leak more than BP! I have great empathy for the tech folks working 7 days a week, round the clock, thru weekends and a holiday to stop this leak. But what gets lost in the obvious mess, is that there is an enormous amount of oil on this earth, this field in particular.

A well-meaning liberal coworker of mine, irritated by the oil mess, said to me "when will this mess stop! It's like it will keep flowing forever!" I couldn't help but smile and chuckle a bit :)

[quote="Toplink_pin, post:16, topic:200687"]

Nobody wants to stop this leak more than BP!

[/quote]

Then they should have placed more stress on prevention.

They didn’t have a secondary safety system at all. They took unacceptable risks with our shore lines.

[quote="AnotherVoice, post:18, topic:200687"]
They didn't have a secondary safety system at all. They took unacceptable risks with our shore lines.

[/quote]

There are two methods used to prevent blowouts. Both are used in every well.

Please, I'd like to hear from the experts, you and Beau on what else they could have done?

[quote="Beau_Ouiville, post:13, topic:200687"]
Palin blames environmentalists. Why not blame BP?

[/quote]

BP is being blamed, and they are taking steps to mitigate the problem. Palin is merely pointing out the reason there exist such deep water rigs when we could have land based or shallow water rigs but for environmentalists interference.

"Then they should have placed more stress on prevention."

Ok. they should have figured out every conceivable possibility both known and unknown before being given permits to drill. If all endavours man takes up are to be guaranteed 100% risk free through prevention, we would still be have only 7th century lives.

It seems to me a particularly liberal mindset is that someone else is always responsible, and life should be made 'fair', fairness being defined as lawyers suing the 'bad' guy so much that any injustice is 'balanced'. If BP is found guilty, how much 'fairness' will be applied?.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.